Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ichi the Killer Uncut DVD

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Ichi the Killer Uncut DVD

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-03, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It doesn't have to be a R1 copy; I can play discs from any region, but my player does not convert the PAL picture correctly. Surely the uncut movie will be available outside of this Dutch release?
Old 04-02-03, 03:36 PM

I'll go through this massive thread later but I thought I'd repost my comments since it was a duplicate thread:

I watched this last week and loved it!

The Dutch 2-disc seems seems the best option due to it being uncut.

2 disc artwork

Dutch 1 disc rental review

Soon to be released in the UK -cesored/cut by 195 seconds! Hopefully it'll appear in North America soon unrated AND much cheaper.

www.ichithekiller.com

www.worldwidecinema.net
Old 04-02-03, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He's purrrrrty!
Old 05-07-03, 02:09 PM

I was wondering if the Dutch Uncut 2-disc release on pokerindustries.com is the same as the Dutch Uncut 2-disc release on Hkflix.com. The Distributor listed is different on both, and the cover screens they use are both different. But the features are the same. Just curious.
Old 05-07-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The dutch one I got recently comes with a slipcase that has a different pic than the actual DVD cover.

Should be the same.

Go look at www.ichithekiller.net
That is the official site for the dutch release.
Old 05-07-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, I got my 2-disc from Poker Industries, and it's exactly the same.
Old 08-29-03, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BUMP!

Just rented this movie the other day, had a grand old time watching it, but unfortunately subtitles seem to shut down a few times, so I wasn't sure what was going on...

One key moment is when...I forgot his name already...Kakihara?...is torturing that poor guy. No subtitles during the entire scene...I had no idea if the guy was giving up info or what! It happened quite a few times elsewhere in the movie as well, and despite that I still enjoyed the flick.

Just had a question regarding the covers. If I remember correctly, the version I rented had Kakihara (sorry if that's a butcher job!) with his arms folded, and additional cast sort of behind him. However, I spotted a movie for sale, but the cover was TOTALLY black, with big bold red letters that simply said ICHI. I'm honestly not sure if it's the same flick at all, but I THINK I remember seeing the name Hideo Nakata placed on it with some sort of sticker label (definitely placed there by one of the store employees)...and also seem to remember a reference to being based on a comic or some such....

Is this TOTALLY nuts?
Old 08-29-03, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, Ichi the Killer is based on an anime. Also, the version you rented was probably the cut HK release.
Old 08-29-03, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Fandango
Yes, Ichi the Killer is based on an anime. Also, the version you rented was probably the cut HK release.
Good grief! If that was the cut version, I think I'd be terrified to see the uncut!

Seriously though, there was tons of guts and geyers of blood, and even plenty of other...bodily fluids.

I wish I could point the way to the covers that I've seen...can anyone show me where I might go looking?

By the way, I just read on the IMDB that there was a remake of sorts of Ichi, but that the director didn't try to remake Miike's film, but instead stayed more "loyal" to the manga...perhaps thats the cover that I saw for sale, but not for rent?
Old 08-30-03, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

plenty of covers here:

dvdasian.com

do a search for ICHI
Old 08-30-03, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Fandango
Yes, Ichi the Killer is based on an anime.
I thought it was based on a manga.
Old 08-31-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, it was based on a manga which came first. It goes manga->live-action film->anime OVA.

Jeremy
Old 08-31-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
plenty of covers here:

dvdasian.com

do a search for ICHI
Thanks!

Well, assuming this attempted link goes to the right page, the one I rented has the same cover as the bottom choice (Region 3 I believe it said it was).

www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/search.html

However, no sign of that solid black cover with ICHI written in red on it.....damn it!! What the hell is that?!?!?! Must I become a criminal, rob the store of this one copy, watch it and then return it?!?!?!?!? Why must fate tempt me so?
Old 09-01-03, 12:26 PM

The black cover with ICHI (or 1/ICHI) in red is the "remake", I believe it is directed by the assistant director of Ichi the Killer, and is a prequel (i think) to the first movie, and more faithful to the manga.

The cover with Kakihara on the front smoking is the cut version, i believe it's missing something like 20 minutes.

So far, the only completely uncut (and english subbed) release is the region 2 dutch release, which i've seen with 2 covers (one may be the slipcase only), one with a "bloody paper bag" look, and one with kakihara by himself holding his needles.

Also, there is one with a cartoon cover, that is the anime version.

I've only seen the original (uncut, loved it), and have the 3-disc pack (with the dutch release and the anime in one nice case) and the anime on their way to me now.

Hope this helps
Old 09-03-03, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kind of funny that both releases feature Kakihara and not Ichi. I was prett disappointed in the Ichi character and found Kakihara significantly more interesting. I guess I wasn't alone.
Old 09-03-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yep, me too... Kakihara was more interesting.

Also nobody's mentioned the upcoming Media Blaster relese of ICHI which will be UNCUT and a 2-Disc set.

Here's another thread where I posted some info about the release 10 posts down:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...r&pagenumber=2
Old 05-08-04, 12:02 AM

I just picked up the 2 disc Dutch version of Ichi and I was wondering if it should come with an insert because mine didn't.
Old 05-08-04, 12:29 AM

Anyone heard anything further about that Media Blasters release? I can't find information on it anymore
Old 05-08-04, 08:33 AM

I have the Media Blasters disc of the uncut version, profbobo. They also have an R-rated version available. The Media Blasters Ichi is just one disc. The video is lacking compared to the Dutch release but it does have a Miike commentary. If you're not region free and don't have a PAL-NTSC player I guess it's a good way to see the film uncut. Do you have the Dutch disc profbobo? If so did yours come with an insert?

Last edited by welb25; 05-08-04 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-08-04, 10:57 AM

Looking around the net it seems there were two different versions of the Dutch release. Mine says nothing about Worldwide Cinema, just Dutch Filmworks. Is this the same company? Also the description on the back is all in English. Also the first 9 numbers in the UPC are the same but the last 4 are different.
Old 05-08-04, 10:35 PM

Worldwide Cinema is from Finland, DFW is the version to get.

I was asking about the double disc "bloody edition" Media Blasters was going to do, but apparently dropped.
Old 05-09-04, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,513 Posts
Originally posted by profbobo
Worldwide Cinema is from Finland, DFW is the version to get.

Are you sure about that? I have the Ichi DVD that is from Worldwide Cinema. The back of the case is in a language that I believe is Dutch, and there are French, English and Dutch subs, but no Finnish at all, so I don't think this is a Finnish release but is indeed a Dutch release. It is completely uncut and has all the extras except the commentary track.

I'm not sure about the the Dutch Filmworks set that welb25 has, but perhaps Worldwide Cinema changed their name to Dutch Filmworks and the packaging was changed to reflect this? (just a guess)

Last edited by cultshock; 05-09-04 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-09-04, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is the cover of the Finnish release of Ichi:

Old 05-09-04, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,513 Posts
Thanks Tyler, that clears things up. I have the Worldwide Cinema one, and it definitely doesn't have that cover. (thats a cool cover though!).
Old 05-09-04, 09:07 AM

I think Worldwide Cinema and Dutch Filmworks have to be related in some way. The slipcase on my Dutch Filmworks disc is almost exactly the same as the Worldwide Cinema, except the movie description is all in English and there is no rating of 16 in the bottom left hand corner like I see there is on the front of the Worldwide Cinema release. The keepcase for my Dutch Filmworks release is black and not clear. The fact that the first 9 numbers of the UPC on my Dutch Filmworks release and on the Worldwide Cinema release are the same also lead me to believe it is some kind of reprinting or something. If you go to machiaveldvd.com, they have two different Ichi discs both listed as being from Worldwide Cinema. One that looks to have had no special features and looks to be out of print and is out of stock, and the other one is in stock. If you click on the cover art in the product description page you can see the back art and read the UPC code. Both of these releases have the same first 9 digits in the UPC code as my Dutch Filmworks disc.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.