Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anchor Bay UK's Time Bandits announced

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-02, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just saw this at DVD Times:

Anchor Bay UK have announced the Region 2 DVD release of Terry Gilliam’s Time Bandits. This specially remastered DVD will arrive on 1st October 2002 with a retail price of £19.99 and the following features...
  • 5.1 surround sound
  • Trailer
  • Scrapbook
  • Biographies: Michael Palin, Terry Gilliam, David Rappaport, Sean Connery
  • Film Notes
  • Dream Facts
  • Production Photo Gallery
  • Missing Scene
  • Storyboard Extracts
  • Interview with Terry Gilliam and Michael Palin
The press release doesn't list the commentary that's on the Criterion release, but interestingly, this page over at www.play.com does. Given Anchor Bay's healthy relationship with Criterion, the inclusion of the commentary on the R2 disc doesn't seem totally improbable to me.

ADDED: Just checked the Anchor Bay UK web site and it seems to confirm that the commentary will be on the disc. Here's the link:

http://www.anchorbay.co.uk/perl/search.pl?CO=ABD4009

In all, this may be a worthy alternative for those of us who never bought the Criterion disc. "Time", indeed, will tell.

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 08-19-02 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-19-02, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So do you think the Criterion will go OOP soon?
Old 08-19-02, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Crazy Aoshi
So do you think the Criterion will go OOP soon?
Doubtful. The current Criterion DVD is actually licensed from Anchor Bay. Given that Anchor Bay UK has released Mona Lisa, The Long Good Friday, and Withnail and I without affecting the availability of the U.S. Criterion editions, I doubt the Criterion will go OOP anytime soon.
Old 08-20-02, 01:00 PM

R1 anytime soon?

Knowing AB's penchant for multiple releases of the same title (Evil Dead series, anyone?), is it likely that this, arguably the most influential film of my childhood, will find its way to R1?

'Cuz, if not, there's that reason I was looking for to get a Malata.

Down with region codes,

CS
Old 08-20-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Knowing AB's penchant for multiple releases of the same title (Evil Dead series, anyone?), is it likely that this, arguably the most influential film of my childhood, will find its way to R1?
Probably not in this exact form. If AB were to release it in the U.S. they would probably have to drop the commentary (which will probably be on the R2 release) -- Criterion doesn't seem to have a problem with AB using their commentaries in R2 but R1 is a different story (see, for example, AB's repeated failed attempts to get the rights to the Criterion Halloween commentary). So you can either get the Criterion and miss out on some special features and (probably) anamorphic enhancement, wait for AB to release it over here (which may never happen) and miss out on a great commentary, or go region-free and get the R2.
Old 08-20-02, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by Dan Average
see, for example, AB's repeated failed attempts to get the rights to the Criterion Halloween commentary
The commentary may very well end up being on the re-re-release AB is preparing for next year. People seem to want to believe that rumor, anyway.
Old 08-20-02, 05:49 PM

Re: R1 anytime soon?

Originally posted by BasiaMille
arguably the most influential film of my childhood

Right there with you. What a way to end a 'kid's movie'. Mr Gilliam really went out of his way to ***** with my 12 year-old mind. I've thanked him for it ever since. Don't know why I haven't picked it up yet, and this is just the push I needed.

Btw, for anyone who loves genre film, a multi-region player that does correct PAL conversion is not an option, it's a must.
Old 08-21-02, 02:21 PM

Missing Scene!

Oh, I have the Criterion. The commentary was educational and entertaining.

But the R2 has a MISSING SCENE?

This could be either the "Spider Women" scene referenced here, http://www.smart.co.uk/dreams/bandqs.htm , or hopefully, some scene featuring Horseflesh, the deceased seventh Time Bandit, listed in the closing credits as played by Marcus Powell, who also played diminutive Rycar Ryjerd (sp?) in Star Wars' cantina sequence.

Either way, for a missing scene, I hope AB will step up for R1, or I'll go multiregion.

Back on my meds,

CS
Old 02-15-03, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Bump for some follow up info about this..
Old 02-16-03, 11:39 AM

Here's all I found on the subject (from a review at DVD Answers):
The Missing Scene is unfortunately not a deleted scene, but a scene never filmed and therefore it is just a storyboard again, but with lines from the script inserted at appropriate places.
Old 02-16-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Thanks Tyler.
Old 01-22-04, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone compare the picture/sound quality of this release with the new R1 divimax release? I have the R2 and am wondering if the R1 looks better (despite lacking the criterion commentary).