Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about "The Killer"

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-02, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if there is a version of The Killer outside R1 that is superior to the Winstar R1 version? Is this version uncut? I just bought the R1 version because I heard that it was oop, but have not opened it so I can take it back if there is a better version.
Old 07-01-02, 08:02 PM

Hong Kong Legends in R2 has an uncut, anamorphic, 3 disc SE coming out this October. It'll be the best release this movie has had on DVD by far!
Old 07-02-02, 12:39 AM

There's also an excellent 2-disk French version. Here's a review.

The Killer @ loveandbullets.com

Old 07-02-02, 08:37 AM

If you can't play Region 2 DVDs, then hold on to your Winstar/Fox Lorber version, because Di$ney/Miramax now owns the R1 distribution rights to The Killer, and right now they are in the process of systematically butchering it, just like they do with all the Hong Kong movies they acquire.
Old 07-02-02, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Numskull
If you can't play Region 2 DVDs, then hold on to your Winstar/Fox Lorber version, because Di$ney/Miramax now owns the R1 distribution rights to The Killer, and right now they are in the process of systematically butchering it, just like they do with all the Hong Kong movies they acquire.
Are you sure they are butchering it or are you just speculating? It would be immensely stupid to cut up a film that has already been on DVD twice in the US and then release it to the public again as if they haven't seen it before... more likely I would think is that they would treat this film really well to give people a reason to buy it. I mean if it's some new movie like Shaolin Soccer that the general public in the US hasn't even heard of, cutting it and renaming it is something they can get away with. An old movie like Killer being cut up and whatnot just doesn't add up. Even for Miramax. Uh... or Disney.
Old 07-02-02, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Question about "The Killer"

Originally posted by boston george
I was wondering if there is a version of The Killer outside R1 that is superior to the Winstar R1 version? Is this version uncut? I just bought the R1 version because I heard that it was oop, but have not opened it so I can take it back if there is a better version.
Anyway to answer this question, I have the Fox Lorber versions of Killer and Hard Boiled. The menus are really nice, but the print and sound were suffering. I've seen VHS transfers that looked better (print quality wise, but lacking widescreen and the benefit of DVD clarity). The FoxLorber transfer is fine, but the source material is pretty worn. Hopefully the R2 version coming out will have some sort of restoration process. The Fox Lorber transfer is about as good as the Criterion I hear. I say open it... it wasn't that expensive was it? It's supposed to be a tad better than the Criterion and the Universe DVD (which can be had for 6 bucks and which is actually pretty decent). It's up to you, but if money is a concern I'd get the Universe DVD to tide you over until the R2 version... if quality is more of a concern, then they are all flawed but the one you have is probably the best of the 3 (only slightly) I mentioned... if money is no object and you simply must - the Criterion is OOP and can be had for like a million bucks. There's a MegaStar DVD that is apparently long since OOP and I haven't seen it talked about... it's probably better than the Universe version which means it's probably better than the one you have and the Criterion. Or maybe not. The Universe version can be bought from DDDHouse.com for 40 HKD which is somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 bucks plus shipping.

The criterion and the Winstar/Fox Lorber versions are 110 minutes and the Universe version is 111 minutes (could be due to a PAL to NTSC slowdown or some such nonsense).
Old 07-02-02, 11:00 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Trigger, it is not speculation. Disney is releasing the R rated versions of HARD BOILED and THE KILLER, all of which were drastically cut during the action scenes. There are versions on video (pan & scan) at some video stores.

Each action scene is chopped and sliced up, removing much bullet impacts, etc. This is FACT. It's a done deal. Disney has already created the masters and is using the DUBBED soundtracks.

John Woo is furious, but they don't care.
Old 07-02-02, 02:09 PM

Matt Stevens I'm interested in the disney butchering do you have any links I can read about this on?
Old 07-02-02, 02:24 PM

Here is a site with a movie list and what's been cut on most of them.
http://www.hkfilm.net/disney/index.html

Vanian