Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Malata and beyond: discussing Region-Free DVD player options [PART3]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Malata and beyond: discussing Region-Free DVD player options [PART3]

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-02, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the newest firmware for the 520? Was thinking of getting one...
Old 06-26-02, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The newest firmware is dated May 30th so that, or anything dated later than that, should be good. I just recieved my new DVP-520 last week and was very impressed. I would reccommend it to anyone with any interest in DVD's from other regions.
Old 06-26-02, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It would be interesting to see if anyone knows or has a copy of the original firmware, so that just in case this firmware does some bad things, it can be reverted back. I am of the opinion when it comes to firmware or operating system versions that if it serves the purpose, don't fix it.

I speak of the Malata 996 Nov 2000 upgrade, which although it fixed some things, supposedly took away other things such as DVD-Audio. My Malata 996 has a June 2000 date on it and it works perfectly for me for what I need, so I never bothered to upgrade.
Old 06-27-02, 09:31 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Malata N996 does not support DVD-Audio.
Old 06-27-02, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

N996 supports non-encrypted DVD-Audio discs, which probably means what... 1% of what's out there? This is what NBT told me regarding my machine with the 11/01 firmware.
Old 06-27-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Matt Stevens
Malata N996 does not support DVD-Audio.
Supposedly this modified one does:

http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/DVD/pdvd_n996.htm
Old 06-27-02, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by ENDContra
And right after posting that, i found this:

http://www.220-electronics.com/dvd/dvdorig.htm

Is this a good buy? $169 is a very good price, but will I be happy with this player? They make it sound very nice, but you can never tell.
The Daewoo 5800 is available at Sam's Club for only $89.98. It can be easily hacked to be Macrovision and Region free, plays Pal and NTSC on both Pal and NTSC TVs. It is not Progressive scan, it is only Interlaced. But if you have no widescreen tv or projector you cannot take advantage of progressive anyway. It only comes in silver. It has component, composite, and SVGA video, Coaxial digital and other audio, no optical digital audio. For info on hacking go to nerd-out.com. It seems to be of pretty good quality and comes with a one year warranty and for $5 Sam's gives you one more year. There is also a lot of info on avsforum.com.

I don't have a Daewoo yet, but I decided to get one rather than a Malata. I have a 32" JVC TV that can do Anamorphic squeeze. The player cannot convert Pal to NTSC and do anamorphic squeeze simultaniously. To watch a Pal anamorphic DVD you need to watch it on a TV that can handle 16 x 9 like my TV does. Alternately you need a TV that can handle PAL. Then the player will convert the anamorphic only and feed your TV with PAL signal.
Old 06-27-02, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by movielib

Supposedly this modified one does:

http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/DVD/pdvd_n996.htm
That's the one with the VGA output. Wish I had that one!
Old 06-27-02, 12:15 PM

The Daewoo is a POS that cannot convert PAL to NTSC properly, no matter if it is set at 16X9 or 4:3 letterbox. Also, they refuse to cover their products. If it dies on you, good luck getting it fixed. They have the worst customer service of any company out there. Do a search at the New Out forums and over the Net for horror stories.
Old 06-27-02, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Do any Malatas support DVD-Audio unmodded?
Old 07-08-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Daewoo is not exactly a POS...but it's no Malata either. I've gotta say that I like my daewoo, and it does a pretty decent job for the small amount that it costs. It's a good second player, ya know?
Old 07-09-02, 03:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Malata scaling feature?

I have a 16x9 TV that locks into "full" mode when sent a progressive signal. So for that reason, I bought a JVC SA70, which has a "scaling" feature, allowing 4x3 material to be seen in it's proper AR, as opposed to horizontally stretched. When I bought this, I was under the impression that only JVC could provide this scaling feature.

Now I'm interested in the Malata region free player this site is offering through HK-flicks. My question is, can the Malata also do the scaling feature? Or, can my current JVC player be hacked to be made region-free? If so, how? How is it w/ PAL conversion?

Sorry if all this info is posted elsewhere, but I didn't find it.
Old 07-09-02, 06:44 AM

The scaling in the Malata is far more advanced than any JVC. It's the most advanced of any DVD player on the market. Having the ability to move the picture anywhere, change the aspect ratio, get rid of overscan, etc. is a God send.

Go over to AVSforum.com and ask CKNA about your JVC. He'll know if it can be hacked.
Old 07-09-02, 10:56 PM
Cool New Member

i'll probably wait for a region mod to come out for xbox.
Old 07-09-02, 11:21 PM

If you're interested in learning more about Sampo DVD players check out the following website

Area 450

Price guides for the various models are available as well as discussions of the anamorphic widescreen PAL to NTSC conversion issues (for some reason nonanamorphic widescreen PAL discs don't suffer the image problems)
Old 07-11-02, 12:44 PM

So if I'm using a 4:3 TV and I get the Malata, do I need to manually scale it everytime I watch an anamorphic PAL disc or does it automatically do that??

Jeff
Old 07-11-02, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not an issue. In the video options, you select 4:3 letterbox once and you're set. At this point you might want to zoom out a few clicks to get rid of the overscan.
Old 07-12-02, 12:40 PM

Overscan is a fact of life. Don't worry about it. If you must, click out two settings and make sure you only shut the player off with the remote. That way the settings stay.
Old 08-30-02, 09:14 PM

Would the Malata make a good primary machine? I need a new player and was thinking about getting it, but it would also serve as my primary player too.
Old 08-31-02, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally posted by Shay
Would the Malata make a good primary machine? I need a new player and was thinking about getting it, but it would also serve as my primary player too.
Works great as one, it has been my primary one since I got it.
Old 08-31-02, 07:53 PM

So which player is supposed to be better the Malata N996 or Malata 520? I know the N996 is no longer being manufactured, but assuming I could buy either one, which is the best one to have?
Old 09-15-02, 05:07 PM

The 996 has an overheating problem and like you say, is discontinued. The 520 comes in a new slim case and the overheating problem has been fixed. Unfortunately, there is no standby mode on the 520. There is going to be about a three week period from probably Oct 1 - Oct 25, when us and probably everyone else will be out of stock on the Malata 520, so if you want one soon, hurry! Malata North America underanticipated demand on these units.

Regards,
Jeff
HKFLIX.com
Old 09-15-02, 08:29 PM

Oritron DAV2100 - good region free option?

How about Oritron? I just bought one from Best Buy to try it out (as a potential gift for someone). I tried the region-setting/free hacks I found online, and they worked! I could watch my R2 and R1 discs with no problem. (I have no RCE discs to try. I also don't know what was doing the PAL->NTSC conversion. Neither the player nor my TV (Philips 27") supports it, AFAIK.)

The player I bought is a receiver/player combo, the "DAV2100". The sound was sufficient for the price, and the picture looked fine to my [untrained] eye. Anybody have any experience with this player's region-free capabilities and/or the general quality of Oritron products?
Old 09-16-02, 07:13 PM

Conia M281

Anybody every here of the Conia m281?

http://www.codefreedvdmart.com/proce...&ProcessType=1

I've read few reviews of the player and they've all been positive. It also appears to do the correct PAL to NTSC conversion for anamorphic signals (no stretching).
Old 09-18-02, 09:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I finally got sick of watching PAL DVD's with the image all squeezed last night, and I took the plunge and ordered a Malata 520, did I make the right choice?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.