Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone have trouble with US Customs?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-02, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings.

I was wondering if anyone is having, or have had problems with Customs on R2 or R3 discs that were ordered from the Asian Rim countries? If you have, what did you do to solve/settle the problem? I'm having problems with them and could use any help or ideas anyone might have.

Thanks.

randy
Old 06-08-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
How many pounds of heroine are you trying to smuggle in? Or is it pr0n? J/K Welcome to the forum.

I've never had trouble with customs. I've had the post office hold a package from Hong Kong before, but they never opened it and all I had to do was pick it up. I actually haven't ever heard of anyone having trouble with customs. Is it something illegal or what? Don't want to tell us? I'm not accusing you of anything, but if we know what it is we might be able to help you better. Why are they giving you problems?
Old 06-08-02, 01:18 PM

It has to do with Customs in parts of the US seizing legitimate R2 and R3 discs as illegal imports. This has happened to several people recently with R2 anime orders and with R3 orders of Jackie Chan films. In case your wondering this recent rash of behavior by Customs has a direct bearing on everyone who frequents this part of the forum.

Trigger, please try not to sound like your accusing somebody of doing something illegal when there is nothing in his post to indicate this.
Old 06-08-02, 01:24 PM
bbq
Cool New Member

Hi randy:

I replied your AoD thread so you may check out message #71.

It should be an order from CDJapan and the stupid Chicago customs thought all anime DVDs are bootleg. (they used the word "counterfeit")
They are released by Buena Vista, Toei, and Bandai - not bootleg/hentai/p0rn.

The MSRP of those anime DVDs should be 4700+4500+5800 = 15000yen.
The prices of bootleg DVDs are much lower, right?
Old 06-08-02, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Furious
Trigger, please try not to sound like your accusing somebody of doing something illegal when there is nothing in his post to indicate this.
I absolutely didn't intend to accuse anybody of anything... I didn't know about the Jackie Chan stuff. I'm not familiar with customs laws. I put the smiley face in there cuz I was joking around... being playful. me=misunderstood. Anyway - I'm sorry if I came off that way.
Old 06-09-02, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I did a 15 disc HK order this week. shipped thursday, got it next day via Global Priority Mail. Nothing opened or touched and some were R3 and many ...ahem... titles that have been recently butchered for domestic release.
Old 06-09-02, 02:30 AM
Cool New Member

i made a recent order of a few hard to find movies from malaysia, it was siezed by customs, luckily for me, the company i got it from is goin to give me a refund
Old 06-09-02, 10:36 AM

never had a problem with customs
Old 06-09-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I understand the Malaysia seizure. Anyone ever get hit by customs for (duh custom charges) for packages coming through USPS?
Old 06-09-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never had a problem with customs (knocking on wood), and that includes anime from Japan, movies from HK and even a couple things from Jlist. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
Old 06-10-02, 12:01 AM
Cool New Member

I had a hard time with customs recently with an HK order. I called around until I got a hold of the international mail office at O'hare airport. I explained that the DVD's were legit and from a legit reseller (HiViZone.com) and that there was no reason to seize them. Then I repeated. Repeated. Repeated. You get the point. Eventually, they gave up and decided to ship the DVD's out. I think I got lucky...
Old 06-13-02, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.animeondvd.com/dcforum/DCForumID2/1784.html

Chicago seems to have a problem.....

Last edited by axolotls return; 06-14-02 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-15-02, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by deathboy
I had a hard time with customs recently with an HK order. I called around until I got a hold of the international mail office at O'hare airport. I explained that the DVD's were legit and from a legit reseller (HiViZone.com) and that there was no reason to seize them. Then I repeated. Repeated. Repeated. You get the point. Eventually, they gave up and decided to ship the DVD's out. I think I got lucky...
Do you remember who you talked to at the O'hare office? I'm looking for anyone. The person assigned to my case at Customs is ignoring my phone calls. If I can't convince the people at O'hare, I get to try and prove they are legit. Know how hard it is to do that when all they kept were the DVDs. Not the cases, just the discs.

Thanks.

randy