Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Tom and Jerry, The Practice, The Cosby Show, Boston Public, and I Love Lucy DVD's?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Tom and Jerry, The Practice, The Cosby Show, Boston Public, and I Love Lucy DVD's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-02, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey everyone,

I just ordered a Malata 520 (hasn't arrived yet) and I'm already excited about getting dvd's from other regions. Are any of the above dvd's either out now or have a possibility of coming out any time soon in any region?

If they ARE out somewhere, could you tell me a reliable place to purchase them from? If it's from, say, Hong Kong or Japan, will the show be in english or will it be dubbed? Will subtitles be automatic or can they be turned off?

If some/all of these dvd's are NOT out yet, is there I site I can frequent in which I can check their rumor mill or headlines for new updates on upcoming TV shows coming to dvd?

Is there a site out now that simply lists ALL the TV shows that are out on dvd all over the world? Thanks a lot for your help!
Old 06-08-02, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are ten volumes of Tom & Jerry already out in Japan. Reasonably priced in box sets containing 4, 3 & 3 vols apiece. Got mine from www.amotokyo.com (they also have tons of other great stuff including Wacky Races!) but www.cdjapan.co.jp and www.amazon.co.jp also carry them.

Isn’t I Love Lucy due out in R1?

www.tvshowsonDVD.com/ is a good site but pretty much exclusively R1. Check out Cynthia’s thread in this forum for an excellent listing of DVDs (including TV stuff) available outside R1.
Old 06-08-02, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks a lot Jonathon regarding Tom and Jerry!

I Love Lucy due out in R1? I hadn't heard that. Where did you read it? Thanks again.
Old 06-08-02, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw some Lucy pack shots in the "Upcoming DVD cover art" section at www.thedigitalbits.com
Old 06-08-02, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks again!

Do you or anyone know if there's a way to get Amazon.com (Japan) to have the site be in english? I'm very familiar using the U.S.A amazon.com, so I figured using the Japanese one would be good, too.

Also, if I'm buying a dvd from a amazon.com site that's NOT in the U.S.A, do they accept VISA? This may be a easy answer but I just have no idea. Can I pay the exact way I pay using the U.S amazon.com which is online via a Visa card? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-08-02, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

John,

I checked one of your Japanese dvd sites, and it said this about the T/J dvd's:

"Language: Japanese, Engilsh SubTitle, Dubbed"

"Description: The masterpiece American Anime! Not only English, but also Japanese Subtitled and dubbed."

Now, does this mean the dvd's will be dubbed in Japanese with only english subtitles? Or, is this originally in english with the option of Japanese dubbing and english subtitles? Anyone know? Thanks.
Old 06-08-02, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For Amazon Japan got to www.altavista.com and enter www.amazon.co.jp into the URL box, select Japanese to English from the pull down menu and press "translate". This’ll only work in Explorer not Netscape and it’ll kick out Altavista once it goes secure and you’re entering CC details etc. The set up is 99% the same as other Amazon sites but you have to create a new account, your existing ID won’t work there. Additionally the site is problematic to navigate and finding exactly what you want is a matter of luck and persistence. They accept all major credit cards and tend to be a little cheaper than other Japanese stores however it’s often easier to use Amotokyo or CDJapan as they both have an English front-end. Also bear in mind any email confirmation you get from Amazon.jp will be in Japanese.

I used them once for some CDs and some Ghibli DVDs but it was a pain to set up an account and since then I’ve gone with Amotokyo who offer free insured shipping when ordering over $200 worth (not difficult in Japan) and their packages are customs friendly whereas Amazon Japan’s are not.

There is an on-line guide to setting up an account and using Amazon Japan’s site but I don’t have the address, sorry. Some other kind soul may post it.

Good luck if you decide to use them and persevere - you’ll get there in the end!
Old 06-08-02, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don’t worry. The Japanese subs on T&J are optional and bearing in mind there’s hardly any dialogue, even if they were fixed it wouldn’t be too much of a distraction.
Old 06-08-02, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Jonathan,

Thanks a million!

So when you used the other Japanese sites to buy dvd's, how did you pay for them? A credit card online or do they accept other forms of payment like an international money order? Lastly, how long did it take for your item to arrive?

As far as ordering online, I'm only familiar with ebay and amazon so I'm just trying to understand how this works and if it will be reliable since I'm in the States ordering something from Japan.

Thanks.
Old 06-08-02, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Having ordered from all three etailers listed above, I’d have to say my favourite both for ease of use and excellent customer service would be Amotokyo. One time, two DVDs they had listed on their site went out of print and they had no more stock. Most etailers would have said "tough" and cancelled the order. However these great guys actually went out onto the streets of Tokyo and picked up copies from a B&M store and added them to my order at no extra charge. It simply doesn’t get any better IMO.

I used CC at all three and with Amotokyo I had to fax them a recent statement showing my address the first time I ordered. Can’t remember if I had to do that with CDJapan or not. Didn’t have to do it with Amazon. CDJapan’s prices may be a few Yen cheaper but their shipping cost is higher so if you’re just after one or two items I’d say go with CDJapan just for the ease of use, you’ll pay a little more but save some time. However if you don’t mind struggling with phonetic translations and you want to save a little (and it will only be a little) money then Amazon.jp is your best bet if again you are only ordering a couple of small items. However (as you can guess) I really would advise (if you can) ordering over $200 at Amo and using their EMS trackable shipping which took 3 days from Japan to the UK, as in my experience they will go out of their way to make sure you are happy and in their emails to me it’s just sooo cool to be addressed as "Jonathan-San"!
Old 06-08-02, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are those Tom & Jerry cartoons orginal and uncut?

(its Japan, i dont really know why they would be edited..but i asked)
Old 06-08-02, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=127645 for all T&J DVD info