Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Avalon R3

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-02, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avalon R3

Does anybody have the R3 version of Avalon directed by Mamoru Oshii?? Its susposed to be Anamorphic...how the sound, subtitles??
and the movie itself??
Old 05-12-02, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
The Movie
From http://us.imdb.com/Plot?0267287
"In a future world, young people are increasingly becoming addicted to an illegal (and potentially deadly) battle simulation game called Avalon. When Ash, a star player, hears of rumors that a more advanced level of the game exists somewhere, she gives up her loner ways and joins a gang of explorers. Even if she finds the gateway to the next level, will she ever be able to come back to reality?"

This live action movie is directed by the director of the anime Ghost in the Shell, Mamoru Oshii. It is in many was similar to Ghost in the Shell, in terms of pacing and mood. The intro credits are very reminiscent of Ghost in the Shell, which were also the inspiration to the credits for The Matrix. This movie comes off as a thinking person's Matrix, offering no clear-cut answers where The Matrix provided many, and relying on character and mood instead of action to propel the story. I'd highly recommend the film.

Packaging:
The DVD comes in a DVD case enclosed by a cardboard slipcase colored a shiny silver, similar in appearance to the T2 UE slipcase. There is no insert in the case, unless you count the bonus postcard. The Box states that the disc is encoded for Region 3, however it is in actuality encoded for All regions.

Picture:
The image is non-anamorphic, letterboxed at 1.85:1. The image is slightly higher than center, creating more black space on the bottom of the screen allowing for the subs to not overlap the image. The movie as it was shot is rather dark with muted colors, making almost everything appear a shade of brown. There are no noticeable film defects or compression artifacts, and it is overall a very nice clean picture.

Sound:
The disc contains both Polish DD 5.1 and Polish DD 2.0 Stereo tracks. The Stereo track is not encoded for Dolby Surround. The 5.1 track has very active surrounds and it wouldn't be surprising if it was the same as on the Japanese DVD. The action scenes make full use of all channels, while the surrounds provide ambient noise and music during the rest of the music.

Subtitles:
The disc contains removable subtitles in English and Chinese. The English subtitles are very good, with no grammatical problems and only two spelling errors that I noticed. However, the subtitle track isn't always in sync, sometimes falling behind or racing ahead of the in-screen dialogue. This only happened for a short while, a few seconds, in a couple of spots.

Extras
This disc contains 3 short trailers for other Panorama releases: Blow, La Femme Nakita, and Nowhere to Hide. There is no trailer for Avalon itself on the disc.

Summary
The main attractions of this disc are the fact that it's Region Free and that its price tag is less than half of it's Japanese counterpart. The main drawbacks are the lack of an anamorphic image and the lack of any extras. This film is set to be released theatrically later this year in the US with a revised script by Neil Gaiman, so this DVD is best for those who cannot wait to watch the film.
Old 05-12-02, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by Jay G.
Packaging:
The DVD comes in a DVD case enclosed by a cardboard slipcase colored a shiny silver, similar in appearance to the T2 UE slipcase. There is no insert in the case, unless you count the bonus postcard.
My copy came (last week) in "cost-reduced" packaging: clear-plastic DVD case, no slipcase, no insert, no bonus postcard!!!
Old 05-12-02, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe just the initial pressing had the special packaging. I dunno, I got it when it first came out, and that's what it had.
Old 05-13-02, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even the regular edition has some type of packaging.
Old 05-13-02, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Save up your dough and buy the "Official" Bandai R2 edition... It's really ****ing sweet. It's pretty expensive, but it's worth every penny!
Old 05-15-02, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Heliosphann
Save up your dough and buy the "Official" Bandai R2 edition... It's really ****ing sweet. It's pretty expensive, but it's worth every penny!
Are you talking about the Memorial box? Hmm...I'm gonna have to look this up, as I've had the "SE" without the slipcover, but with the postcard for quite some time....

The video on that edition is quite good, as is the sound. I wish there were more extras available with english subtitles though...
Old 05-15-02, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by lordzeppelin

The video on that edition is quite good, as is the sound. I wish there were more extras available with english subtitles though...
Are the extras in Polish or Japanese?
Old 05-15-02, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got just the regular edition of the Bandai release. Basically nothing but some trailers/tv spots and that's it for extra's. I would have liked to have the Memorial Box Set because of the DTS track, but it's not worth it for that much extra cash... Hey, the 16x9 transfer and 5.1 DD track are good enough for me!
Old 05-17-02, 12:38 PM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

is the show nice? the extras got english subtitle?
Old 11-09-02, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Avalon just got a Korean R3 DVD release. Supposidly it's a 2-disc set, with most of the features of the Japanese R2 memorial set.
Details here:

http://www.krdvd.com/details.php?id=251

The main advantages over the HK will be the DTS 6.1 track, and the anamorphic image, which will most likely be progressive as well. Most Korean DVDs don't have English subs for the extras though.
Old 11-12-02, 02:00 AM

DVdasian has it

Yes, dvdasian.com has it now . details are at

http://www.dvdasian.com/cgi-bin/dvdasian/14131.html

Audio Format: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo / Dolby Digital 5.1 EX, DTS 6.1 ES Surround

Video Format: Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1 (Disc 1), Standard 1.33:1 / Anamorphic Widescreen 1.85:1 (Disc 2)

Languages: Japanese, Polish (Disc 1), Japanese (Disc 2)

Subtitles: English, Korean, Japanese (Disc 1) / Korean (Disc 2)

Region Code: 3

Running Time: 106 Min

Special Features: Disc 2(177 minutes): Bonus Materials - Day of Avalon, Avalon VFX Making, Visual Image Library, Trailer & TV Spot

It seems to me it has the same features in R-2 Japanese Memorial Edition.

Last edited by Gimbob; 11-12-02 at 03:01 AM.
Old 11-13-02, 08:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
So... I watched the movie (R3 edition) for the first time last week and I was somewhat disappointed. IMO I found the hype way overrated. Can someone please explain the ending. *** out of 5 Stars.
Old 11-13-02, 01:03 PM

There's a French edition coming out soon. 2-disc with all the same features as the Korean DVDs. French is at least possible to translate if anyone has the time an patience. Then you can understand what the cocumentary is about.

Ericf
Old 11-13-02, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I traded my Avalon R2. I really couldn't get into it. Also, I'll emphasize again the HK R3 (really R0) version transfer is almost as good (I mean really damn close) to the quality of the Japanese DVD (if you don't have a widescreen TV) and probably only $10 new.
Old 11-13-02, 08:06 PM

That's a pretty big "IF" But I'll agree...not as much point splashing out on the Japanese import if one is running a standard 27-32" set. On a front projection setup it's a whole nother issue....
Old 11-27-02, 10:13 AM

Just saw the movie. I didn't like it much. Slow and meandering and with a pretty contrived "ending". I don't think I'll get this one from either region. A shame, since I thought the music was pretty nice.

Ericf
Old 11-27-02, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Furious
That's a pretty big "IF" But I'll agree...not as much point splashing out on the Japanese import if one is running a standard 27-32" set. On a front projection setup it's a whole nother issue....
Definitely true. You have to know your bottom line. If you are running a front projector... then anamorphic is the only way to go. I mean ever watch Monsters Inc. and Star Wars II or a front projector ---then--- watch a Mei Ah HK (say God of Gamblers) on it..

I am not big into the Final Fantasy or Avalon stuff. I just got hooked on Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away (but not much else in that genre interest me... although I haven't really looked into it)
Old 11-28-02, 01:27 AM

Oh I have, believe me...not a pretty site at all...sometimes the only way to see the burned in subs on some of the scope films from HK tho!
Old 11-29-02, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a review:
http://www.thegline.com/dvd-of-the-w...11-28-2002.htm
Old 04-20-03, 10:12 PM

Sorry to drag this old thread up, but I just heard about this movie and it seems really interesting. I was wondering if anybody knows whether the 2 dvd Korean release is really region 3 or if its region 0? I've heard that its region 0 even though the box says region 3. I don't have a codefree player and I'd like to get an anamorphic dvd of this rather than the non-anamorphic HK version.
Old 04-20-03, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The 2-disc Korean DVD of Avalon is indeed R3... I double checked a minute ago just to be sure. You can always get the R0 HK dvd... It's not anamorphic, but I hear it's a good letterbox transfer.
Old 04-21-03, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Brilliant movie. Ranks alongside Blade Runner IMO. I’d love to see those extras subbed though.
Old 04-21-03, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Maybe I'm alone in thinking this film was pretty bad. Perhaps I should give it another shot.
Old 02-26-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts
Just picked up the R3 Korean release and would like to know if the soundtrack is available anywhere.

(Sorry about resurrecting an old thread. Didn't see the need to create a new one)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.