Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Tom and Jerry [review request for Japanese DVDs]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Tom and Jerry [review request for Japanese DVDs]

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-01, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tom and Jerry from Japan anyone?

I heard that there's a DVD box set available in Japan containing all 170 or so episodes of the HB cartoons. Does anyone know about this. I've searched some asian DVD sites (Sazuma) without any results. I'd really like to know more.
THNX
Old 04-27-02, 11:17 PM

Could someone who owns these please review them ?
(Thank you in advance for your time and help !!!)

(Also, are the 13 cartoons directed by Gene Deitch available ANYWHERE in the world on any format ? It's been probably at least 15 years since I last saw any of them)

<dl><dt>( For a full listing and synopsis of the Tom&Jerry episodes directed by ...
<dd>... William Hanna & Joseph Barbera from 1940 to 1958, click here and here
<dd>... Gene Deitch from 1961 to 1962 click here and here
<dd>... Chuck Jones from 1963 to 1967 click here )</dl>

Here's a listing of the "William Hanna & Joseph Barbera"-era Tom&Jerry episodes released in cinemascope : http://www.toonzone.net/looney/picts/cinemascope/

<dl><dt>1954 :
<dd>"Pet Peeve" (11/20/54) , "Touche, Pussycat !" (12/18/54)
<dt>1955 :
<dd>"Southbound Duckling" (3/12/55), "Pup On a Picnic" (4/30/55) , "Tom and Cherie" (9/9/55) , "That's My Mommy" (11/19/55)
<dt>1956 :
<dd>"The Flying Sorceress" (1/27/56), "The Egg and Jerry" (3/23/56) , "Busy Buddies" (5/4/56), "Muscle Beach Tom" (9/7/56), "Downbeat Bear" (10/21/56), "Blue Cat Blues"(11/6/56) , "Barbeque Brawl" (12/14/56)
<dt>1957 :
<dd>"Tops With Pops" (2/22/57), "Timid Tabby" (4/19/57), "Feedin' the Kiddie" (6/7/57) , "Mucho Mouse" (9/6/57), "Tom's Photo Finish" (11/1/57)
<dt>1958:
<dd>"Happy Go Ducky" (1/3/58), "Royal Cat Nap" (3/7/58), "The Vanishing Duck" (5/2/58), "Robin Hoodwinked" (6/6/58) ,"Tot Watchers" (8/1/58)</dl>

In particular I'm interested in any confirmation or elaboration on the following ...

Regarding the issue of cut vs. uncut :
(for a specific list of what was cut, see http://www.toonzone.net/looney/ltcuts/mgmcuts.html and also http://tomandjerrycartoons.com/tjedits.html )
2. This particular box set had a sticker on the wrapper that said (in Japanese) "UN CUT VERSION". Finding this version is the tricky part. Ilooked in about 30 (literally) stores before I found this version. I found this box set in only one store in a section of Tokyo called "AKHIABARA." Also this box set and the cut versions look identical in packaging EXCEPT for the sticker. Be careful of this when shopping for it.

3. The content of the DVD's are completely uncut. This includes all Mammy, Black face, Indian, Mammy voice, Asian, and some of the more "violent" cuts that have been removed on all the other versions.

4. The total cost on the box set was 30,000 yen or roughly $280 USD. Interestingly enough the CUT version of the box set was 24,000 yen!
Regarding the matter of letterboxing (with respect to the cartoons that were released in cinemascope) :
5. The one bad thing about these DVD's is that the cartoons are still not in letterbox/true format. Animation purists may get aggrivated when things get cut off or are formated improperly.
Regarding what was and was not omitted :
*note: I believe these disks contain all episodes except

the Gene Deitch years (for a full listing, click here )

and the following ... the Hanna Barbera years-- Busy Buddies, Egg and Jerry, Feedin the Kiddie, Slicked Up Pup, Tom's Photo Finish, Tops With Pops

the later Chuck Jones years-- Shutterbugged Cat
Regarding the bonus Droopy cartoons :
Each disk also contains one Droopy cartoon as well. Though it should be noted that these are dubbed in Japanese only.
(The above quoted information comes from http://tomandjerrycartoons.com/tjvideo.html )

Last edited by AutumnNights; 05-04-02 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-05-02, 11:18 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 05-05-02, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by benedict
Phew!

Thanks, Furious. I was counting to ten before responding but I think you still did it better than
I would have done!

I didn't want to ruin this thread, so I split off a couple of the more relevant posts (including
AutumnNights' query) to a fresh one before closing this.
Why was the other thread that several people were following and we were sharing info closed? I'm the one who just got the set and was sharing info. I don't own or sell bottlegs. I bought the $300 legitimate release, and was asking a simple question, you told me i could post a non live link, and thats what i did, now you close a thread that several people were using. I think you owe an explanation. Why counting to 10?, someone questions the rules via email and you don't respond, then i give my opinion, and an interesting and very useful thread is closed?

Last edited by shaggy; 05-05-02 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-05-02, 12:25 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
shaggy, check your email. In the meantime, please keep this off the board: the forum rules are VERY clear about this kind of thing.

AutumnNights, I am very sorry that your query has again been hijacked by unwelcome, off-topic bickering and that events have moved on the point that it may never receive an authoritative reply - at least on this forum.

[Edit: for the record, I should make it clear that shaggy's current suspended status is no particular reason for anyone to worry about the accuracy of the information he provided in his initial post in that earlier thread or, in any other thread for that matter. If there was the slightest doubt/interest as how matters proceeded, the live eBay link, followed by the "braindead" jibe, followed by his carrying on the argument from the closed to this new thread was "all" that it took. Watch and learn].

Benedict

Last edited by benedict; 05-05-02 at 06:42 PM.