International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

DVD+ (www.dvdplus.co.uk)

Old 05-01-02, 09:12 PM
  #1  
Cool New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 24
DVD+ (www.dvdplus.co.uk) HKLS At price of $13.99

They have got some HKL DVDs at a price of £8.99 ($13.99)

Check it out!

Purple Storm
Legend of a fighter
The Blacksheep Affair
New gate dragon INN (one of my favorites)
and some others..

Last edited by dq102; 05-01-02 at 09:19 PM.
dq102 is offline  
Old 05-01-02, 09:16 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Wasted outskirts of Escondido
Posts: 601
Good price, but unfortunately for us not living in the UK they only ship there.
ScreachingWeasel is offline  
Old 05-01-02, 09:28 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The slums of Escondido
Posts: 2,802
Originally posted by ScreachingWeasel
Good price, but unfortunately for us not living in the UK they only ship there.
Damn! You're starting to rival Trigger in your knowledge of Hong Kong film!
slymer is offline  
Old 05-01-02, 11:00 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Wasted outskirts of Escondido
Posts: 601
Originally posted by slymer


Damn! You're starting to rival Trigger in your knowledge of Hong Kong film!
Blasphemy!!! I do know more about pirate punk though.
ScreachingWeasel is offline  
Old 05-02-02, 01:25 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
Originally posted by ScreachingWeasel


Blasphemy!!! I do know more about pirate punk though.
I'll challenge that - there's simply no way. As far as my knowledge of HK film, I know a little - I think Yellow Hammer is the resident expert around here.
Trigger is offline  
Old 05-02-02, 01:32 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The slums of Escondido
Posts: 2,802
Originally posted by ScreachingWeasel


Blasphemy!!! I do know more about pirate punk though.
Arrgh!!!! Pirate Punk!! Have you heard the latest single? Land Ahoy!

Did you hear the news? Propagahndi turned gay!
slymer is offline  
Old 05-02-02, 02:53 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Wasted outskirts of Escondido
Posts: 601
Originally posted by slymer


Arrgh!!!! Pirate Punk!! Have you heard the latest single? Land Ahoy!

Did you hear the news? Propagahndi turned gay!
Is Land Ahoy off the Walk The Plank cd or Ruby Eye Covered by Black Eyepatch? Are you sure about Propaghandi? If so, that is going to give me a bad images in my head when i hear those legendary lyrics "I want to hump you with a stool". In real punk news the new Strung Out cd is pretty darn good. Also true dat on Yellow Hammer being king of HK movies and he has one of the best names on the forum.
ScreachingWeasel is offline  
Old 05-02-02, 04:08 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
Originally posted by slymer
Did you hear the news? Propagahndi turned gay!
That's old news... I thought that was common knowledge. I found out at some point before 1996 when they toured I'm sure. Anyway - here's some pirate punk:
dang this album sucked... so are we straying far enough OT yet?
Trigger is offline  
Old 05-02-02, 09:22 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The slums of Escondido
Posts: 2,802
Originally posted by Trigger
That's old news... I thought that was common knowledge. I found out at some point before 1996 when they toured I'm sure. Anyway - here's some pirate punk:
dang this album sucked... so are we straying far enough OT yet?

C'mon Trigger!! Get your head out of your arse and swab the deck!! That's one of the finest punk albums of all time. I think you need to give AFI another chance! I don't believe there are any pirate refrences in any of the songs.
slymer is offline  
Old 05-02-02, 10:05 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: A suburb≤ of Miami
Posts: 5,943
Aye, but can it compete with Pirate Metal?

Aghama is offline  
Old 05-02-02, 12:13 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Wasted outskirts of Escondido
Posts: 601
Originally posted by Aghama
Aye, but can it compete with Pirate Metal?

Now that's a cd cover!
ScreachingWeasel is offline  
Old 05-02-02, 12:51 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The slums of Escondido
Posts: 2,802
Originally posted by Aghama
Aye, but can it compete with Pirate Metal?

The lead singer of this band actually has just a skull for a head.
slymer is offline  
Old 05-02-02, 12:57 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The slums of Escondido
Posts: 2,802
I was just joking about the "Propaghandi turning gay thing". It was just an old joke between Screaching Weasel and I.

I realize they've always had a preference for hairy butt, since they were wee whippersnappers!

It's about time to come out with a new album though. Geez!!
slymer is offline  
Old 05-02-02, 01:58 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
Originally posted by slymer
I was just joking about the "Propaghandi turning gay thing". It was just an old joke between Screaching Weasel and I.

I realize they've always had a preference for hairy butt, since they were wee whippersnappers!

It's about time to come out with a new album though. Geez!!
They just came out with one a year and a half ago... I know one of em is working on Weakerthans stuff and I can't remember if he was even part of this latest album... it's pretty good, but I don't recall if I heard his voice or not.
Trigger is offline  
Old 05-02-02, 02:37 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Wasted outskirts of Escondido
Posts: 601
Originally posted by Trigger
They just came out with one a year and a half ago... I know one of em is working on Weakerthans stuff and I can't remember if he was even part of this latest album... it's pretty good, but I don't recall if I heard his voice or not.

Yeah the guy in the Weakerthans wasn't on the last cd and is no longer in Propaghandi. They now have a guy named Todd from the band I Spy.
ScreachingWeasel is offline  
Old 05-02-02, 03:07 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
Originally posted by ScreachingWeasel



Yeah the guy in the Weakerthans wasn't on the last cd and is no longer in Propaghandi. They now have a guy named Todd from the band I Spy.
I have that split 10" they did with I Spy. I haven't followed them very closely since Less Talk came out cuz I wasn't all that impressed with that one. Their new one is pretty decent, but just doesn't sound right.
Trigger is offline  
Old 05-02-02, 03:27 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The slums of Escondido
Posts: 2,802
Originally posted by Trigger
They just came out with one a year and a half ago... I know one of em is working on Weakerthans stuff and I can't remember if he was even part of this latest album... it's pretty good, but I don't recall if I heard his voice or not.
My bad! I forgot about that one. It wasn't very good IMO. I wish they still had the guy from the Weakerthans. He wrote some good songs for the band, despite his milk toast voice.
slymer is offline  
Old 05-02-02, 04:30 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
Originally posted by slymer



C'mon Trigger!! Get your head out of your arse and swab the deck!! That's one of the finest punk albums of all time. I think you need to give AFI another chance! I don't believe there are any pirate refrences in any of the songs.
I've had many arguments with people about this album... I thought it was terrible. I really liked their albums preceding this one, but this one just gave me the willies and made me feel like I was listening to drunken pirates at sea singing chanty weak hardcore. I saw them live at the Warped Tour (someone paid for me and dragged me there, otherwise I would've stayed far away) recently and just thought "glam" to myself. The singer seems to be a narccistic egomaniac who wishes he was Marylin Manson or something. I did get to see Fear again after a million years and they just didn't have it anymore. Lee Ving lost his edge at some point - either after doing the movie Dudes or the movie Taking of Beverly Hills, cuz he was still cool after doing Clue.
Trigger is offline  
Old 05-02-02, 04:44 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The slums of Escondido
Posts: 2,802
Fear?

The only thing "Glam" about AFI is possibly the singers voice, besides that, they sound pretty hardcore to me. They certainly don't bring back memories of "Talk Dirty to Me".
Why did you have to be "Dragged" to the warped tour? Do you have a problem with bands such as NOFX, Bad Religion, Strung Out , etc..............? These bands run circles around the horrible band known as "Fear". I tried to trade in a "Fear" album at a used CD store, and all I could get for it was the latest "War Tanks" album.

Keeping with the punk theme. You should pick up the new Clash DVD. Excellente!!!

Last edited by slymer; 05-02-02 at 04:47 PM.
slymer is offline  
Old 05-02-02, 04:56 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Wasted outskirts of Escondido
Posts: 601
Re: Fear?

Originally posted by slymer


Keeping with the punk theme. You should pick up the new Clash DVD. Excellente!!!
That must mean no songs from Sandinista.
ScreachingWeasel is offline  
Old 05-02-02, 05:18 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
Re: Fear?

Originally posted by slymer
The only thing "Glam" about AFI is possibly the singers voice, besides that, they sound pretty hardcore to me. They certainly don't bring back memories of "Talk Dirty to Me".
Why did you have to be "Dragged" to the warped tour? Do you have a problem with bands such as NOFX, Bad Religion, Strung Out , etc..............? These bands run circles around the horrible band known as "Fear". I tried to trade in a "Fear" album at a used CD store, and all I could get for it was the latest "War Tanks" album.

Keeping with the punk theme. You should pick up the new Clash DVD. Excellente!!!
I just stopped going to shows pretty much after punk became the new grunge and major record companies starting snatching up every punk band in sight and turning them into rockstars. I don't like paying more than 5 bucks to see a show and warped tour is all sponsored by Mountain Dew and Playstation and it's just too commercial for me. I also much prefer more intimate venues than a hot stadium in the desert (I'm in AZ)... I spent most of the show sitting on the ground in the ramp hallway for shade sake and because none of the bands really did it for me. I'm not so much into new punk. Most of my interests lie between 1985 and 1995 with most exceptions to that rule coming out post 95. I consider 89-92 to be somewhat of a golden age of punk and I'll still go to a show of a band that was around at that time. NoFX is a good band, but I dont' need to see them live again, Me First was kinda fun to see, Bad Religion I got to see a long time ago so I don't really need to see them again - besides, they weren't playing a the Warped Tour I went to, and I've never really liked Strung Out. All those Fat bands sound alike, so I pick one or two I like best and stick with them. I've been into No Idea stuff and Jade Tree stuff and some crust and hardcore. Lately actually, I've been listening to techno and trance half the time and crusty hardcore like Logical Nonsense.
Trigger is offline  
Old 05-02-02, 07:22 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The slums of Escondido
Posts: 2,802
The only punkband that I consider to be rock stars would be Blink 182, and they still act the same as they always have, and thier music is actually way better now than it's ever been. Most of the other punk bands that signed to major labels, such as Bad Religion, Green Day, Social Distortion, etc..managed to keep a pretty low profile. You don't really see them on the cover of "Teen Beat".
I just find it weird that you'd change your musical preference just because a band started making a few bucks.
slymer is offline  
Old 05-02-02, 08:11 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
Originally posted by slymer
The only punkband that I consider to be rock stars would be Blink 182, and they still act the same as they always have, and thier music is actually way better now than it's ever been. Most of the other punk bands that signed to major labels, such as Bad Religion, Green Day, Social Distortion, etc..managed to keep a pretty low profile. You don't really see them on the cover of "Teen Beat".
I just find it weird that you'd change your musical preference just because a band started making a few bucks.
I didn't change my musical preference... I thought Green Day's Kerplunk sounded like they were just making it so they could get signed and I didn't care for that record much - since then, they've grown some and I like some of their songs. Bad Religion I haven't liked since Generator. Social D I only liked Mommy's Little Monster, Jawbreaker and Samiam I've liked even though they went on major labels. I'm talking about new bands that cropped up and got signed within a year or so of forming. Some bands also that got signed and changed their sound as per request of the record label. See, when a band gets on with a major label, the label will give them money to go record - sometimes not, but usually and they also give them a list of song requirements. The band comes back with the recording and the label says well, this song is only 2 minutes long, you can have 3 of these shorter songs on the album, but you need to go back and make this one longer so it can air on the radio... also we want you to take this song out and that song we want you to have Elton John lay a piano track behind it because this is the song we will push first as your first single. The band then says - screw you, we're punk and this is what we came up with - you either like it or not - now release it so we can go tour in our broken down van. The label then says no, we won't release this as is and we're going to now hold this recording so you can't release it anywhere else and you're bound by contract to do 3 more albums with us that we also will not pay for or release and you can't release an album as this band or under a different name with the same members until you've fulfilled your contract... plus, you will owe us your 50K advance. The band says - uhh... ok, we'll go change the songs. And they go cry about it for awhile and think of different ways to get out of the contract etc... until finally deciding to just go in and change the songs to please the record execs who are just trying to make 80% off the band and have something to fill in between commercials on the radio. No - I'm not against the bands that sign, just against major labels. I basically like what I like - I listen to a bunch of mainstream bands and I don't really care who gets what money. I don't like to support major labels still and it's pretty easy to do since most of the bands that end up signing just turn out crappy records once signed and then end up breaking up because the records don't sell - like jawbox and jawbreaker and almost happened to Samiam. Jawbreaker actually broke up in part because of pressure from the major label, but mostly because of differences within the band and the catalyst was a fight while on tour and someone ended up with gum in their hair... My thing with Green Day wasn't because of the major label signing or anything, it was because they changed their sound when Tre Cool joined - he's too technically good a drummer for their sloppy sound, so apart from the few songs I like from recent albums I'm pretty much sticking to their first full length and 7"s they released. I liked Blink 182's pre-signing stuff, but their newer stuff isn't my taste. I only liked Offspring's first 7" - I saw them live opening for a band called the g'rups playing for about 100 people and they were pretty decent. They're really super nice guys. If you think Green Day is low profile, you're sadly mistaken... don't you remember the 90's?
Trigger is offline  
Old 05-02-02, 08:56 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The slums of Escondido
Posts: 2,802
Originally posted by Trigger
Some bands also that got signed and changed their sound as per request of the record label. See, when a band gets on with a major label, the label will give them money to go record - sometimes not, but usually and they also give them a list of song requirements. The band comes back with the recording and the label says well, this song is only 2 minutes long, you can have 3 of these shorter songs on the album, but you need to go back and make this one longer so it can air on the radio... also we want you to take this song out and that song we want you to have Elton John lay a piano track behind it because this is the song we will push first as your first single. The band then says - screw you, we're punk and this is what we came up with - you either like it or not - now release it so we can go tour in our broken down van. The label then says no, we won't release this as is and we're going to now hold this recording so you can't release it anywhere else and you're bound by contract to do 3 more albums with us that we also will not pay for or release and you can't release an album as this band or under a different name with the same members until you've fulfilled your contract... plus, you will owe us your 50K advance. The band says - uhh... ok, we'll go change the songs. And they go cry about it for awhile and think of different ways to get out of the contract etc... until finally deciding to just go in and change the songs to please the record execs who are just trying to make 80% off the band and have something to fill in between commercials on the radio.
I know this is the theory, but what bands has this actually happened too? Some of the best punk albums ever have been on a major label. Bands like Green Day(Dookie), Bad Religion(Recipe for Hate, Stranger than Fiction), Social D(White Light, White Heat, White Trash), and Jawbreaker (Dear You), were already great bands and deserved to be signed.
I think it's the unestablished bands that are more likely to be pushed around by a major label. The label snaps them up just hoping that they've found the next Blink or Green Day. Bands like Sum 41, Good Charlotte, Fenix TX, or the legendary Schleprock!!

Yeah Green day was huge in the 90's but they faded pretty quick(Fine with me). They made a little come back with the Nimrod album. That just shows the power of MTV. Now days all they play is Rap/R&B, Rap-Rock, or Blink 182.
slymer is offline  
Old 05-03-02, 03:13 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Damfino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 6,264
The True Golden Age of Punk

Originally posted by Trigger
I consider 89-92 to be somewhat of a golden age of punk
Cool hijack dudes, but the true golden age of punk was 1976-1981. (Ramones, Clash, Sex Pistols, Damned, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Dead Kennedys, X, Fear and Bad Religion) It was a great time to be young and living in LA!
Damfino is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.