International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

VIDOCQ - Version With No Subs?

Old 04-26-02, 11:06 PM

VIDOCQ - Version With No Subs?

I just got my copy of "VIDOCQ" from DVDZone 2.com, it's the big-ass digipak packaging I've been reading about, and looks exactly the same as all the ads I've seen - but no English subs! Oh the humanity! I got through the opening sequence (very awesome), and then was left with a huge question mark where my face should be - what gives?

Comments, suggestions, a shoulder to cry on are welcome! PLEASE!
Old 04-27-02, 12:22 AM

Sorry to hear about your predicament.

According to their site (DVDZone2's), the DVD only has Dutch subtitles. I didn't know of a Dutch release but that's apparently what they're selling. I bought mine from Cinstore.fr and it has subs. You may want to just sell yours on eBay and get the French DVD.
Old 04-27-02, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...important message to mediawave - and to anyone else who is interested in French movies on R2 DVD, but who is French-impaired, and who is thus unable to navigate a French site, and who is therefore thrilled to find an English-language, presumably "French" site, to wit:

. . . DVDZone 2.com . . .

...well that isn't a French site - it is a Belgian site...

...Belgium is a country wedged between France to the south and the Netherlands to the north... Belgium is one of those countries where more than one language is spoken (e.g. Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Canada)... the 'official' languages in Belgium are French and Dutch...

...Belgium is one of the three so-called Benelux countries (as in: Belgium/Netherlands/Luxemburg)... as such there have been close ties between those three countries...

...hence the so-called 'Dutch' DVDs - which are not 'Dutch' at all ... a 'real' Dutch DVD of, say, an American movie would always feature the original soundtrack, plus optional or 'locked' Dutch subtitles - but not necessarily (if ever!) a French soundtrack or French subtitles...

...a 'Belgian' DVD, on the other hand, will (must!!!) always have a French soundtrack (dubbed, of course, if it's an American movie) plus (if it's an American movie) the original soundtrack, plus optional Dutch subtitles - so that the French- (or English-)impaired movie fans in Belgium can still enjoy a French (or American) movie...

...ok... we're talking Vidocq here... this is a French movie...

...don't know about the Belgian (erroneously called 'Dutch', actually should be called 'Benelux') release - but even so, I'm pretty sure that it was never intended to be sold anywhere but in the Benelux countries - it is disingenuous of DVDZone2 not to mention this anywhere on their site...

...I own the 2-disc French release, on the (French) TF1 label - - - this set comprises:

* a (handsomely designed) three-panel fold-out DigiPack in a cardboard slipcase

* a 12-page booklet with info about the two discs' contents

- disc ONE (DVD-9 SS-DL, RSDL) includes
--the film
--the chapters
--the commentaries by Pitof and Jean Rabasse (chief decorator)
--sound options: Dolby Digital 5.1 / DTS
--subtitle options: (French for) hearing-impaired / English
(-> -> -> Note: NO DUTCH ! ! ! <- <- <-)
--ROM section: internet connection to the TF1 Video site
playing time of 1st disc: 1hour 40 minutes - AR 1.85:1 anamorphic

- disc TWO (DVD-9 SS-DL) includes
--the "Making of..."
--interviews with Pitof, Jean-Christophe Grangé, Guillaume Canet, Inès Sastre and Fabien Lacaf (storyboarder)
--poster designs
--character designs
--presentation of the characters by Jean-Christophe Grangé
--teaser and trailer
--film/storyboard comparison
--mask effects, with commentary
--"Apocalyptica" video clip
--filmographies of the actors and the director
--ROM section: screen saver, internet connection

playing time of 2nd disc: 3hours - AR 1.33:1

NOTE - as is (almost) always the case with French DVDs that include English subtitles: these are for the MOVIE ONLY - there are NO subs for the extras, commentaries, interviews, etc.

...and there you have it...

GIST: when ordering a French DVD of a French movie, it is always preferable to get it from a French supplier (e.g. cinestore or alapage, or amazon.fr, or...) ... for the reasons that I hope my very long-winded explanation made clear...

... otherwise, all I can say is caveat emptor ...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 04-27-02 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-28-02, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hendrik. does this mean the one I got from Proxis.com is the one without subs? It does seem to be a Belgian site.

I wasn't aware there was another Region 2 disc, and there are NO specs. I ordered it because I was getting The Blade, and really wanted the 2 disc set of Vidocq. I just assumed they were selling the French version.

If it is the wrong one, has anyone delt with them, and know if they will take it back for a credit? Since, their site was no info??

Thanks, in advance. Damn, I feel stupid.
Old 04-28-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

roseart

...ahh... FWIW...

° proxis (yup! a Belgian site) mentions:
barcode 5414474350298...
° "my" Vidocq set (ordered from cinestore) carries
barcode 3384442018937...

° proxis site says: "multiple langues" - this could mean multiple soundtracks and/or subtitle tracks in various (European) languages (Spanish, Italian, Croat, etc.) ... proxis unhelpfully doesn't specify - nor do they say whether the set they're selling includes dts sound (rather a dumb omission if it does include it, since for many people this is a definite selling point, I'd say)...
° my (French language tracks ONLY) two-disc set does include the latter...
° since my set already includes OPTIONAL ENGLISH SUBTITLES (movie only!) it is unlikely that the "multiple langues" set sold by proxis also includes these, since that would be redundant... but, hey!, what do I know...

° proxis charges 31,99 Euros...
° cinestore charges 28,99 Euros...
° alapage charges 28,79 Euros...

...I've said it before and I'll say it again: BEFORE ordering a Region 2 DVD of a FRENCH movie (from wherever you wish) check a FRENCH site (for instance dvdrama or dvdfr) to see what the FRENCH release has to offer - ALSO check the PRICE of the FRENCH release and compare it to the price asked by the supplier of your choice...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 04-28-02 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-28-02, 02:16 PM

Hendrik-
Thanks for sorting all of this out for the rest of us.
Since most of us hunted down R0 before taking the plunge into investing in a ALL R player,it's a bit daunting to figure out what exactly is (or is not) loaded with the english track.
Blame it on HK discs I guess-they are easy to get here in the states & have the subs; so the reasoning goes:"the rest of the world should too!"
But I digress- question is: is the film worth the effort ? Or rather, is it worth getting a copy ?
Old 04-28-02, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey, do any of the afore-mentioned French sites have English text, so I can read about stuff before ordering?
Old 04-28-02, 07:27 PM

Vidocq - Comments/Review???

How is the movie?

Thanks.

Last edited by cine; 04-28-02 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-28-02, 08:01 PM

Cine-
For the DVD:
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/index.cgi?...744&story=2996

As a movie:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Vido...66/preview.php
Old 04-29-02, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks Hendrik... I have learned a lesson. Just hope they will take the return.
Old 04-29-02, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe you guys should invest in some French language classes.
Old 04-29-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by eXcentris
Maybe you guys should invest in some French language classes.
Hmmm, that would help me while watching my BOTW in DTS...
Old 05-17-02, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by roseart
Thanks Hendrik... I have learned a lesson. Just hope they will take the return.
Just wanted to say THANKS Hendrik.

Proxis took my return of VidoCQ, and I just received my "FRENCH" 2 disc version (w/ anglais subs) from Amazon.fr, along with La Haine...
Old 05-17-02, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well if you don't mind bloody ugly packaging, Vidocq is available as an R3 disc (English and Chinese subtitles, no extras) from dddhouse.com. Just got it in the mail today but haven't had a chance to view it yet.

Last edited by Krug; 05-17-02 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-18-02, 01:22 AM

The R3 is fullscreen. The widescreen presentation is integral to the cinematography so you'd be best to avoid the R3 release and only get the French DVD.
Old 05-18-02, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

R3

Originally posted by carnifern
The R3 is fullscreen. The widescreen presentation is integral to the cinematography so you'd be best to avoid the R3 release and only get the French DVD.
Just watched it. Boy is it a mess. The director hasn't seen a wide angle he didn't like huh?

Another thing about the subtitles for the R3. It kept on having #NAME when names were involved. It became terribly annoying.

So like the man said; avoid the R3. Will probably dump mine. Can't imagine watching it again, fullscreen or not.
Old 05-20-02, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Krug
Well if you don't mind bloody ugly packaging, Vidocq is available as an R3 disc (English and Chinese subtitles, no extras) from dddhouse.com. Just got it in the mail today but haven't had a chance to view it yet.
Watched the French R2 2 disc release last night. What a nice presentation. Haven't had a chance to brows through the extras yet.

I really enjoyed this film. Very visually stunning, and a good story IMO. The DTS track was fantastic...
Old 06-14-02, 05:25 PM

There's a Region 1 version coming out on 6/25 from Seville in Canada. It's 16x9 enhanced, DD 5.1 and contains lots of Special Features. The disc does feature English subtites on the film itself but the special features aren't subtitled.

Here's a list of the features.

· 16x9 Widescreen Presentation (1.85:1)
· Commentary track by director Pitof
· Making of documentary
· Special Effects documentary
· Interviews with director & cast
· Character sketches by Caro
· Poster Gallery
· Trailers & Teasers
· Storyboards comparison
· Rock video

I'll have a review up later this week
Old 06-14-02, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...the only "advantage" I can see to getting the 'version canadienne' is that it's Region 1 and thus, presumably, NTSC (Q: 'down-converted' from PAL originals? good luck! Caveat emptor! & all that...)...

...note that the Canadian release, although seemingly comparable to the French one does not include a dts soundtrack...

...sorry if my remarks sound dismissive of 'native Canadian' DVD product...

...tiptoes out, careful to close the door quietly...

(signed) Paranoid Perry

. . . . . .
Old 06-18-02, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I reviewed the Seville for DVDtalk... Vidocq review.

I agree, I'm divided by the movie- The story was both mediocre yet fast paced and not boring. The direction was at once imaginative and also sloppy. Could have been worse, could have been better. Mixed.