Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Subtitles don't work on Avalon import

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-02, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got an Avalon Memorial Box Import DVD as a present. We went to watch it in widescreen the other night in original Polish with English subtitles. The subtitles would not work in widescreen on my Sony or Apex DVD players. However, the subs did work on my PC DVD drive. When I switch to 4:3 on the Apex, the subtitles would work. When I switch to 16:9 on the Sony the subtitles would work. However, the subs wouldn't work in 4:3 on the Sony. I want to watch this awesome looking flick in widescreen with subtitles and original Polish, but I don't know what else to try. I went through the player settings and tried making subs auto select and tried forcing English subs, but nothing would work. I would really appreciate if anyone could offer any potential solution. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-23-02, 11:41 PM

There have been a number of views, but no replies. Doesn't anyone have any idea what my problem could be or if it is solely a DVD issue? I would take any advice anyone has......
Old 04-23-02, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Subtitles don't work on Avalon import

You don't say if you have a 4:3 TV or a 16:9 TV, but you do say that the subtitles work in 4:3 mode on the Apex and in 16:9 mode on the Sony, so I don't get what the problem is.
Old 04-24-02, 06:35 AM

I have a 35 inch Sony Trinitron (4:3). I want to watch it letterboxed on this television, but it won't play that way in either DVD player. I only get fullscreen with subtitles on the Apex and 16:9 with subtitles on the Sony. It won't play letterboxed with subtitles on either of them. I'm sorry if I didn't make myself clear in the beginning.
Old 04-24-02, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
I do know that the bootleg of the Japanese Memorial DVD has defective subs. The defect is the same as you describe: the subs only work in 16x9 mode. The legit Japanese DVD does not have this problem. sounds like whoever gave you that disc got scammed.

The real Japanese DVD, both standard an memorial are available at www.cdjapan.co.jp for $40 and $100 respectively.

Last edited by Jay G.; 04-24-02 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-26-02, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have just the SE release of the disc, from Panorama Entertainment I believe, and mine works perfectly fine. Seems like there are issues with the memorial box, although, wouldn't the disc of the movie effectively be the same?
Old 04-27-02, 02:04 AM

Memorial Box

Any subtitle issues are player related. I've had the memorial box for ages and have run it through 4 different players I've had over that time, no issues with the subs whatsoever. I only ran it letterboxed on those players (except with the dvdrom/projector in squeeze mode) so I doubt the disc is the problem. Are you 100% sure you have the real R2 release? I ask because many of the bootleg variations of Avalon also proclaim "Memorial Box" and feature a copy of the extras disc...the real box comes with a production mini-artbook...
Old 04-27-02, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Another way to tell would be to check and see whether the 2nd subtitle track is Japanese or Chinese. The boots replaced the Japanese subs with Chinese ones, which would require remastering of the disc, and was probably where the error was introduced.

Also, I beleive the boots have diferent artwork than the legit set. A pic of the legit Memorial box can be found here:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBJ-866
Old 04-27-02, 05:11 PM

This appears to be a bootleg of the Memorial Box. I just wanted to see the movie and don't care that I was given a bootleg, but it sucks that the subtitles don't work correctly. Oh, well. I am going to get an the new ATI 128 MB All-In-Wonder soon. With that, I can run the working letterbox version from my PC to my TV and still watch it in it's full glory.

Thank you guys for the help. I really appreciate it.