Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Just got Gamera: The Box 1995-1999! WOW!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-02, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

What a package!! So much cool stuff crammed into this box.

I can't wait to watch these DVDs!

Andrew
Old 04-13-02, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's an amazing set. I've hda it since it was released and I love it. Damn shame it cost me around $230 (shipped) though. I'm hoping that ADV gets off their asses ans re;eases the films on R1 DVD with the Japanese extras. Doubt it though.
Old 04-13-02, 04:41 PM
Suspended

I've been thinking of picking this bad boy up. How are the subtitles on the discs? Anything else I should know? Gimme the full review, boys!
Old 04-13-02, 08:42 PM

I'm a big fan of the trilogy and have also been thinking about getting the box set. But damn that price tag. I've officially lost faith in ADV and their assdragging treatment of this movie.
Old 04-13-02, 09:00 PM

The subtitles are excellent with virtually no errors. The picture quality looked great to me on a standard 30" JVC TV. I have a Panasonic 47" widescreen HDTV now and I've heard that the 3rd movie doesn't look too great but I haven't had the chance to test it since I got the TV. All 3 movies have 5.1 surround.
Old 04-15-02, 09:18 AM

I, too, think this is an incredible box set! The subtitles are much better than the previous releases (I especially thought the story of #3 made a lot more sense this time around).

And I have to say, I personally didn't notice any picture problems with the third movie, either.

Yes, the set is a bit pricey, especially if you don't speak Japanese and therefore have trouble following the 2 bonus discs, but once you get done watching the trilogy, believe me, you'll realize it was money well spent. Very well spent. And you gotta love the slipcase it comes in!
Old 08-06-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Digging up an old thread.

Can anyone confirm whether this disc:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=DABY-6

is the same as the first disc in the box set? What I need to know is whether the copy of the first movie sold separately includes English subtitles. CDJapan's listing claims that it doesn't. I don't want the whole box set, just the first movie.

Is there another decent-quality release of this film out there? ADV's wretched non-anamorphic R1 disc is a travesty.
Old 08-06-03, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
From what I've read elsewhere (from more than one source), the individual discs do not have English subs, only the discs in the box set.

The older Gamera films (1965-80) on the other hand, have English subs in both the individual discs and the two box sets.
Old 08-07-03, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Josh Z
Digging up an old thread.

Can anyone confirm whether this disc:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=DABY-6

is the same as the first disc in the box set? What I need to know is whether the copy of the first movie sold separately includes English subtitles. CDJapan's listing claims that it doesn't. I don't want the whole box set, just the first movie.

Is there another decent-quality release of this film out there? ADV's wretched non-anamorphic R1 disc is a travesty.
This is the first movie in the 1995-1999 box set. All of the titles that are sold outside of the box set are without English subtitles.

All the discs in the set are anamorphically enahanced and the audio for each title is awesome.

I've had the box set for a year now and am still stoked at how good all the materials included are.

the latter two discs are not subtitled but they are very self explanatory. They are primarily "making of" segments, press junkets and appearances by the cast & crew at various events-premieres and kaiju museums.

Excellent set and worth every penny of the $270 I spent on it.
Old 08-07-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by buckee1
This is the first movie in the 1995-1999 box set. All of the titles that are sold outside of the box set are without English subtitles.
Dammit, why would they do that?
Old 08-07-03, 01:33 PM

Dammit, why would they do that?
No Idea. Before I bought the box set, I tried to collect them individually and contacted CDJapan regarding the specs on each individual disc and they advised me that none of the 95-99 discs were released with non-Japanese subs. Much like Toho's Godzilla discs. No reason was given as to the difference in specs between the boxed discs and individuals.

In any event, the only way I could get them subbed was the box set.
Old 08-08-03, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No Idea. Before I bought the box set, I tried to collect them individually and contacted CDJapan regarding the specs on each individual disc and they advised me that none of the 95-99 discs were released with non-Japanese subs. Much like Toho's Godzilla discs. No reason was given as to the difference in specs between the boxed discs and individuals.

In any event, the only way I could get them subbed was the box set.
This just makes me all the angrier at ADV for screwing up their Region 1 edition.
Old 08-08-03, 12:21 PM

Two questions:

1) I can't find the 95-99 box set at Cdjapan. Did you buy it there?

2) How is the PQ and Subs on the other two older boxsets?
Old 08-08-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This just makes me all the angrier at ADV for screwing up their Region 1 edition.
How did ADV screw up the R1 releases? I thought they were pretty feature-packed.

Please elaborate - I'd like to find out what I'm missing!

Jeremy
Old 08-08-03, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by mrwilson
Two questions:

1) I can't find the 95-99 box set at Cdjapan. Did you buy it there?

I bought mine from a Kaiju store/ dealer in New Jersey but you can get it from here www.amotokyo.com for $225.

They where all over the place a year or two ago I've been told but as it was a limited issue pressing, they have become extremely scarce.

I spoke with someone on this board a year ago regarding this etailer and they bought their set from them and had no complaints.

I'd suggest emailing them first, just to make sure everything is hunky dory before plunking down any cash though.
Old 08-08-03, 09:19 PM

Thanks, I think I found the last copy at amazon.co.up for $208. Not bad considering its been out of over two years.
Old 08-08-03, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jrutz
How did ADV screw up the R1 releases? I thought they were pretty feature-packed.

Please elaborate - I'd like to find out what I'm missing!
The quality of the first movie is absolutely horrendous. They used an old non-anamorphic VHS master that has all of the original on-screen Japanese text covered up by large black bands with bright green English text instead. The transfer looks terrible and is riddled with massive compression artifacts. It's just abyssmal.

For the later two movies, since ADV had never released those on VHS they couldn't reuse a VHS master. They were forced to license new anamorphic transfers from the Japanese studio instead, and the quality of those two movies is much better.

They could have licensed the new anamorphic transfer for the first movie as well, but they were too cheap.
Old 08-08-03, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The quality of the first movie is absolutely horrendous. They used an old non-anamorphic VHS master that has all of the original on-screen Japanese text covered up by large black bands with bright green English text instead. The transfer looks terrible and is riddled with massive compression artifacts. It's just abyssmal.

For the later two movies, since ADV had never released those on VHS they couldn't reuse a VHS master. They were forced to license new anamorphic transfers from the Japanese studio instead, and the quality of those two movies is much better.

They could have licensed the new anamorphic transfer for the first movie as well, but they were too cheap.
Ah yes, I did notice that and was mildly annoyed by it. But then I said to myself, "any Gamera is good Gamera, and all was better!" And you have to give ADV kudos for bringing over at least some of the great suppliments, those DVDs are feature-packed!

Jeremy
Old 08-12-03, 07:11 PM

Gamera 3 is the best kaiju film ever made. By a very big margin.
Old 08-13-03, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can anyone list the individual titles in this set?

The site above lists Gamera #1 - #3
Old 08-13-03, 07:15 PM

#1 Gamera: Guardian of the Universe
#2 Gamera: The Advent of Legion
#3 Gamera 3 : Incomplete Struggle
Old 08-13-03, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

#1 Gamera: Guardian of the Universe
#2 Gamera: The Advent of Legion
#3 Gamera 3 : Incomplete Struggle
There are a few different ways the original Japanese titles have been translated. The most common are:

Gamera: Guardian of the Universe
Gamera 2: Attack of Legion
Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris
Old 08-16-03, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
What would be on the final two DVDs? Extras?

Thanks for responsing buckee1 and the great Josh Z. It's appreciated.
Old 08-16-03, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by speedy1961
What would be on the final two DVDs? Extras?

Thanks for responsing buckee1 and the great Josh Z. It's appreciated.
How come I'm not the "great" Buckee1? Just Kidding.
The final two discs are promotional materials for all three films. Trailers, posters, press junkets & museum visits. Also interviews with the cast & crew as well as behind-the-scenes live action shots of kaiju action from all three films and close-up exams of the miniatures used in each film. There are No English Subs for any of these materials but they are very easy to follow (excluding the interviews) and pretty cool to watch.
Old 08-17-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the quick response All-Knowing Buckee1! Your wisdom is appreciated.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.