Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

[A short appreciation of] Trois Couleurs Trilogy (R2)

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

[A short appreciation of] Trois Couleurs Trilogy (R2)

Old 04-08-02, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trois Couleurs Trilogy (R2)

Having just re-watched the series (Blue, White and Red) on the Artificial Eye DVD's, I can say both the films and the DVDs are great in my opinion. All three discs contain the respective movie in a nice widescreen presentation, and a nice selection of informative extras. I particularly enjoyed the excerpts from Kieslowski's master class (found on each DVD, appropriate to the film) and the interviews with each of the three lead actresses (Juliette Binoche, Julie Delpy, and Irene Jacob). The interview segments with the editor and producer were also enlightening if not as entertaining as the actresses'. Also included are excerpts of Preisner's music, usually a couple or three selections. Probably my favorite extra though was the 'Making Of' segment for Red - it picks some scenes and shows the cast and crew at work, then shows the final scene as it appears in the movie. All in all, a great set - my only niggling complaint is that there isn't a box for the set. Not necessary I know, but would have been great just the same. A great set of films in great editions on DVD. Miramax has a high standard to meet if they are going to compete with these. Needless to say I'd highly recommend them.
Old 04-12-02, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Trois Couleurs Trilogy (R2)

Originally posted by stingo
Having just re-watched the series (Blue, White and Red) on the Artificial Eye DVD's
what country/region are these dvds from?
and where did you get them?

Thanks for the review.
Old 04-12-02, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got them from bensonsworld.co.uk - I had to wait a bit for Blue to come in but it was worth it. I think I paid $23 per disc shipped for $69 total.

Incidentally, I'm not so sure it was a review so much as my first thoughts of the set. My personal ranking of the films would be Red as the best, Blue as a second, then White (even though they are supposed to be seen in the order of Blue, White and Red, I started with Red as I had already seen the set in the theatre and on VHS). If you're interested in these films at all you should try to pick up at least one of them and see for yourself. Hope you like them.

Edited to add: These are Region 2 DVD's - they have English subtitles which seem (on my Malata N996) to appear only when the actors are actually speaking the words. Thus for short responses, you have to be kind of quick to catch what's said (unless you have an understanding of French). But on the whole it did not present a problem, at least to me.

Last edited by stingo; 04-12-02 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-12-02, 04:53 PM

Stingo,

I've been considering them myself, but I'm curious about one thing: Is there a subtitle translation of the religious-sounding music at the end of "Blue"? The music where the camera pans from face to face. I believe it's sung in Greek (?). The LD did not have it.

Also, are they anamorphic and 5.1?

Thanks.
Old 04-12-02, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Ted Kontos
Stingo,

I've been considering them myself, but I'm curious about one thing: Is there a subtitle translation of the religious-sounding music at the end of "Blue"? The music where the camera pans from face to face. I believe it's sung in Greek (?). The LD did not have it.

Also, are they anamorphic and 5.1?

Thanks.
Yes they are anamorphic and have 5.1. I can't really remember right now if there were subtitles, but I don't think so. Like the first poster said they are great dvds and I can't recommend them enough.
Old 04-13-02, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just checked the disc - there are subtitles for the ending sequence. I'm not sure if all of it is subtitled, but enough of it seems to be to get the meaning.

Edited to add: When Julie and Olivier are going through Patrice's music, she pulls out a book to point out the rhythms would be different in Greek. It appears that her finger is at the start of a chapter/paragraph. Based on what the subtitles have (at the end of the film), it seems to be (at least in part) 1 Corinthians 1:13 (the text is from the KJV Revised Standard edition).

1: If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.
2: And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.
3: If I give away all I have, and if I deliver my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.
4: Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful;
5: it is not arrogant or rude. Love does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;
6: it does not rejoice at wrong, but rejoices in the right.
7: Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
8: Love never ends; as for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.
9: For our knowledge is imperfect and our prophecy is imperfect;
10: but when the perfect comes, the imperfect will pass away.
11: When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became a man, I gave up childish ways.
12: For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall understand fully, even as I have been fully understood.
13: So faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

Last edited by stingo; 04-13-02 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-13-02, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another thought - the DVD covers are two sided: one side had a Criterion-like cover that makes it clear that the DVD is part of a collection (one of a series). The flipside is the "film-only" side which has just the poster shots from the film. I thought that was cool - if people are collecting Artificial Eye DVD's (and I might start based on what I've seen already) they can show them as a collection, and if not, just have a regular film cover.
Old 04-13-02, 09:38 AM

Just a quick note to buyers of the trilogy to avoid the R4 Australian versions. These have been transferred off SBS's widescreen videotape (thank goodness SBS has long broadcast films in widescreen) and hence have burnt in English subs (and no 16x9 enhancement). They also have no extras.

Another fine example of Australia's distributors deciding that there won't be a big market for these titles, making the minimum effort possible and turning their initial analysis into a self-fulfilling prophecy as Australian buyers head off shore.
Old 04-13-02, 12:22 PM

Wow! Thanks, stingo!

I'm off to order!