International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Eraserhead DVD...?

Old 04-07-02, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eraserhead DVD...?

Is there any reason to buy the more expensive Eraserhead DVD from davidlynch.com as opposed to the R2 Eraserhead dvd released in England? Does the davidlynch.com one have special features or a much beter transfer? I dunno if I want to drop and extra 20 bucks...
Brett
Old 04-07-02, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ah... well... umm... since the (supposedly-very-carefully-prepared-for-DVD-release and thus understandably) more expensive disc comes - almost literally! - straight from the Maestro himself, I for one would certainly be willing to part with the extra bucks, rather than risk getting a more-or-less honest transfer of a more-or-less acceptable copy of the film that someone found stuck away in a storage basement somewhere, released on a UK label that IIRC has come under frequent attack for delivering shoddy goods...

...just my 2, of course!...

...suggestion: why not try to find a review for the US release before making such an important decision? ... it may well have more than the UK one (which generously offers the 'original trailer' and a bit of text - wow!)

. . . . . .
Old 04-07-02, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also isn't the region 2 UK disc pan and scan? I bought his short films dvd and the packaging is great and each film had an intro by him him, so I'm sure Eraserhead will have some sort of extras.
Old 04-07-02, 04:09 PM

I have the R 4 version of the film & I'm happy with it. Yes it's P&S but, again no complaints.
Old 04-07-02, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 236 Likes on 172 Posts
Both the R2 (Europe) and R4 DVDs are full-frame and come from lousy transfers. There is a non-anamorphic letterbox disc from Japan that is decent, but the picture is too bright.

The disc that Lynch will be selling on his web site is a fresh remaster done under his personal supervision. Not sure if there will be any supplements yet, but the disc will come packaged in an 8"x8" art box and include a photo book, much like his Short Films DVD.
Old 04-09-02, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by funkydjmcescher
I have the R 4 version of the film & I'm happy with it. Yes it's P&S but, again no complaints.

True, plus this film isn't for everyone. People might want to grab a cheap version before they shell out $50 for the new one....
Old 04-09-02, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by JaxComet

True, plus this film isn't for everyone. People might want to grab a cheap version before they shell out $50 for the new one....
I think this should be the general consensus & take a "wait-n-see"
attitude of the davidlynch.com disc (if it ever comes out this year!).
I got my copy for $ 17 (US) shipped.