Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Malata 996 Discontinued - new player coming...

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Malata 996 Discontinued - new player coming...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-02, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: MALATA DVD-520

Originally posted by movielib

One thing (not that it matters to me because my receiver decodes DTS): built-in AC-3 (i.e. Dolby Digital) decoding is listed as a feature but not built-in DTS decoding. It could be just another mistake of the web site, but for those to whom it makes a difference, you might want to be sure.
If so, it's another reason my N996 will do. I love this player.
Old 05-23-02, 12:15 PM

Hey all,

I am considering buying this dvd player to allow me to watch all region/pal dvds on a standard ntsc tv (hdtv comming soon).

http://www.lfvw.com/malata996.html

MALATA DVD-520

Is $279 a good deal?
Old 05-23-02, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by dtsmovieguy

Is $279 a good deal?
Can't get to the link from work. Does that include shipping? If so, it's a great deal. Someone mentioned, that the DTS converter was not listed. Does this site say whether or not it has a DTS converter built-in?
Old 05-23-02, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by roseart

Can't get to the link from work. Does that include shipping? If so, it's a great deal. Someone mentioned, that the DTS converter was not listed. Does this site say whether or not it has a DTS converter built-in?
Shiiping is $4. It's doesn't say the DTS decoder, but does say AC-3. But it has the DTS logo on there, so I it will pass DTS. Here is the info on the website.

---------------------- Info from Web) --------------------
This unit is considered to be one of the best DVD players on the market and is now even better with it's code free and PAL conversion abilities. True progressive scan output provides a beautiful high definition picture for today's newest high resolution TVs. It will also produce amazing picture quality on a standard TV when connected in normal scan mode.

This top-of-the-line DVD player can be kept up to date for many years with it's firmware update switch. When a new firmware is released you simply need to burn it to a CDR and play the disc in this unit.

No longer will you have to watch widescreen PAL DVDs in a stretched full screen mode. With it's X-Y Scaling you can adjust the ratio of the image to suite your tastes.

This player is also compatible with a wide variety of digital media; MP-3, VCD, Super VCD, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3, DVD and even DVD-R and DVD-RW.

With this player, imported, non region 1 DVDs, are no longer any problem . This player is able to play any DVD from anywhere in the world. A built in digital standards converter automatically converts PAL discs to NTSC for American TVs. The unit is also capable of being powered by either the US standard 110 volts OR the European 220 volt system.

This player is shipped via insured USPS Priority Mail.
We offer a money back guarantee if you are not satisfied with this player.

CAN PLAY ANY REGION CODE

AUTOMATIC CONVERSION OF PAL DVDS

HIGH DEFINITION PROGRESSIVE SCAN OUTPUT

VIDEO OUTPUTS:
1) COMPOSITE
2) S-VIDEO
3) COMPONENT

BUILT-IN AC3 DECODER

OPTICAL AND COAXIAL AUDIO OUTPUT

2 MICROPHONE JACKS

INCREMENTAL ZOOM CONTROL (PIXEL LEVEL)

X-Y SCALING - This feature allows you to adjust the widescren ratio on PAL 16x9 DVDs.

FIRMWARE UPGRADE SWITCH - If new features are introduced you can upgrade you player

--------------- End of Info ---------------
Old 05-25-02, 10:30 AM

I'll be getting the DVP-520 on Monday. The price is supposed to be slightly lower than the DVD-N996.
Old 05-27-02, 10:42 PM

Received mine earlier today. I haven't hooked it up yet but here's some quick things I noticed:

The remote is different. It is the same height but shorter in width. The bottom 2/5 of the remote is now more narrow. The button layout is different and it does not work correctly with the 996. It looks like they combined the power and eject button into one.

The black unit has a thin silver border around the middle part of the player (the tray and display) which makes it look weird and it stands out. The silver model looks a lot better. Also, the descriptions for the buttons on the player are written in a really large bold font. They also added NEXT and PREV buttons on the front. The power button is the same. Outputs are the same.
Old 05-28-02, 07:35 AM

Tristan,
Does it come with a vga out?
Old 05-28-02, 08:28 AM

No VGA out.

I checked it out some more and here are more observations:

They simplified the Setup menu. There is no longer a basic and advanced setup, instead there are about 9 options which you can change. They removed some items such as subtitles and other options. The main options are there though.

There is only one Info screen now. Not the 32 or whatever there were before.

And there is no power button on the remote.
Old 05-28-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tristan,
really looking forward to a full review on this.
i found a place in Canada that is supposed to get them in this week and can ship it out to me by next weekend.
i'm hoping this will mate well with my fp.
of ocurse if it does, i may just go on an ape$heet buying frenzy.
Old 05-28-02, 01:35 PM

Does this new model have the overheating problem or the subtitle problem on Phantom Menace?
Old 05-29-02, 07:51 AM

What overheating problem?

I don't have SWE1 so I can't check out the subs. It'll probably be the same though as it still uses the Pantera 2 chip. There's supposed to be a new model in the fall that uses the Pantera 3 chip.
Old 05-29-02, 04:59 PM

Tristran, can you tell us where you ordered it (if it was online)?

I still can't find anyplace that shows them in yet! The only link I had so far was:

http://www.lfvw.com/malata996.html

for the 520, yet the 28th has passed (when they said it would be in), and it's still on pre-order status it looks like! Plus they haven't answered my email asking if they had them in-stock yet.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 05-29-02, 06:07 PM

I got it from Jansonic aka Malata Canada. I don't think they sell to end users. They got them in last week but didn't start selling them until Monday. I'm only a 10 minute drive from them so I just called, ordered, then went to pick it up.
Old 05-29-02, 08:22 PM
bbq
Cool New Member

They have DVP-520 for 239 bucks:
http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/DVD/index.htm

Full video output jack (CVBS, YCrCb/YPbPr, RGB, S-VIDEO,VGA)
Can be directly plug into computer's VGA monitor.
http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/DVD/dvp_520.htm

Did anyone order from them?
Old 05-30-02, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The 520 is now available at NBT. It was supposed to start shipping yesterday. It's $399 Canadian and probably $30 Canadian for shipping. About $280 U.S.

http://www.accountwizard.com/clients...em&itemid=1910
Old 05-30-02, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by movielib
The 520 is now available at NBT. It was supposed to start shipping yesterday. It's $399 Canadian and probably $30 Canadian for shipping. About $280 U.S.

http://www.accountwizard.com/clients...em&itemid=1910
I placed an order yesterday, so hopefully it will ship today or tomorrow. I ordered the silver. The black is already out of stock, but they said they should be getting some more in Friday.
Old 05-30-02, 10:41 AM

Well, since this would be my firsrt region free player, I am going to wait to see what you experts think about it and then decide....
Old 05-30-02, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dtsmovieguy
Well, since this would be my firsrt region free player, I am going to wait to see what you experts think about it and then decide....
If it's anything like the N996 I think you will be very pleased. My Malata became my primary player, and I would definitely buy another.
Old 05-30-02, 01:03 PM

$400 seems kinda high. I think that was the price they were selling the N996. The 520 is considerably cheaper than the N996.
Old 05-30-02, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Tristran
$400 seems kinda high. I think that was the price they were selling the N996. The 520 is considerably cheaper than the N996.
I think the $400 was Canadian Dollars. The total price is about $280 USD shipped.
Old 05-30-02, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess this means that if the menu setup screens are different, that kinda makes the Malata Busting Threads listed here obsolete for this new model. Unless Mr. Matt Stevens buys himself one of these new models and is nice enough to compare and contrast.......hmmm........
Old 06-01-02, 02:48 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I would like to, dullboy, but I am getting ready for the Philifilm Film Festival and planning a wedding (mine) so I don't have time for it now. Sorry. This Fall I'll buy one and do a real compare & contrast, but by then I am sure word will be out as to what it can or cannot do.

I hope to God it has the same filters and X-Y scaling.
Old 06-01-02, 03:24 PM

Yes, I know it is Canadian dollars. That is what they sold the 996 for but the 520 is a lot cheaper than the 996.

It has the same scaling video filter options. I hate how you can't turn the player off with the remote though. And the info screens are so basic they don't show the time remaining for the title, only the chapter. ID3 tag support is gone too since that info screen was removed.
Old 06-02-02, 01:20 AM

What overheating problem?
Just about every thread on any forum I've read on the 996 mentions a chronic overheating problem on the 996 which is bad enough to shut the player down after several hours of use.

I would love to know how hot the 520 gets.

Jeff
Old 06-02-02, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm waiting for a full review on this player as well.

Its gonna be nice to be region free.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.