Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Comrades: Almost a Love Story" film and DVD...

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-02, 10:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

I watched Peter Chan's "Comrades: Almost a Love Story" the other night and really enjoyed it... it subtly underplayed the loss of cultural identity that many mainlanders feel when moving to Hong Kong... and it was a beautiful romance film with Maggie Cheung... what not to love ?

Anyway, my full review on the film with comments about the Mei Ah Region 0 DVD CAN BE FOUND HERE

Anyone seen this, what do you think ? Rosenbaum had it on his Top films of 97'...
Old 04-03-02, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
One of my favorites - & the first DVD I ever bought (along with Fong Sai Yuk & Chungking Express). I think I paid about $34 or some insane price, but I don't regret it. It's one of the few Hong Kong films I was able to see in a theater on a big screen so I knew I wanted it.
Old 04-03-02, 12:14 PM
Banned

Lokimok,

Would you ( or anyone ) happen to know the aspect ratio... I can tell from my screen captures that it is about 1.85, but I wasn't able to verify it anywhere...

Thanks in advance...
Old 04-03-02, 01:37 PM

1.85 according to asiandvdguide.com

And by all means, warn people away from Sausalito, a
much anticipated and ultimately disappointing re-pairing of the
two stars, directed by Andrew Lau.

Last edited by dleedlee; 04-03-02 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-03-02, 07:55 PM

I also saw the movie, too, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The movie's music, namely the ballads, were mesmerizing, making the scenes that much more attractive. Anybody have any info about that female singer? For some reason, it sounded like a ballad out of the seventies. In a way, that singer was to the movie like Nat was to In the Mood for Love.
Old 04-04-02, 07:09 AM

Soundtrack to the music

gopeglegs,
you like the music? well, they're instrumental and original versions of songs by Chinese singer Teresa Deng. some spell her last name as teng. Anyway, she passed away a number of years ago, and she has attained the same status in Asia as Elvis has in the West. Therefore, for Chinese, most of whom are very familiar with her tunes, the movie has the added dimension of placing old songs in a new context. If you want the songs that are featured in the movie, just buy any of her greatest hits CDs that are out there. good luck hunting.
Old 04-04-02, 02:22 PM

Thanks, Jeffhhsu! I don't know Mandarin or Cantonese and I couldn't get its soundtrack last time I looked, but now I know the singer's name, I'll definitely have to get it.

It seems that yesasia.com has quite a selection of Teresa Teng, include two Best ofs. Unless anyone has a specific recommendation (i.e., her live v. recorded performances) I think that I'll go for the Best of TT vol. 1 as soon as my spending freeze thaws out.

BTW, is there an OST for the movie? I couldn't find one at YesAsia.

Oh yeah, some dude has some songs that I haven't tried yet in real audio .
Old 04-07-02, 11:30 PM

gopeglegs,
I don't know if the movie ever had an accompanying soundtrack, but I'm pretty certain the songs that you want, the ones in the movie are all in the greatest hits CD. By the way, a little movie trivia: the Chinese title of this wonderful film is the same as one of Teresa's all-time great hit songs. Another piece of background info for you to chew on: Obviously, Teresa Teng is symbolic in this movie because it is named after one of her songs. In Asia, she is unofficially recognized as the link that "unifies" Chinese who live in free, democratic regions, eg. Taiwan and Hong Kong, and Chinese who live in Communist regions: Mainland China. ( I hope you have some understanding of S.E. Asian political history and know what I'm talking about) I hope this gives you a better appreciation of the film.
Old 04-08-02, 07:29 AM
Banned

...title of this wonderful film is the same as one of Teresa's all-time great hit songs.
Thanks... this and much more is mentioned in my review...
Old 04-11-02, 11:32 PM

Kinda OT, but was there any mandarin in the movie? Other than the singing of course. Its been a while since I've seen the movie.

And according to The Asian DVD Guide, the subs are non-removable. The review above states that the subs are removable. Has the DVD been remastered?
Old 04-12-02, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tristran
Kinda OT, but was there any mandarin in the movie? Other than the singing of course. Its been a while since I've seen the movie.

And according to The Asian DVD Guide, the subs are non-removable. The review above states that the subs are removable. Has the DVD been remastered?

The subs on my DVD are burned-in, but I bought mine a couple of years ago.

Maggie speaks pretty much all Cantonese, Leon at the beginning, being that he's a newly emigrated Mainlander, speaks Mandarin but magically becomes fluent in Cantonese after a while in HK about 1/3 to 1/2 thru the movie. Kristy Yang speaks all Mandarin in the movie, can't tell if she's dubbed or not (I kinda suspect she was but then again it does sound like her voice. Comrades was her very first movie so I'd have to recheck). Christopher Doyle, the Caucasian teacher, spoke Mandarin.