Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Jacky Chan's "Thunderbolt" Spec??

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 03-30-02, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, just wondering if anybody know the spec for Jacky's "Thunderbolt"??

i'm looking the one with anamorphic & 5.1 digital or better transfer

i bought the pan&scam one few years ago, one of the biggest mistake i've ever make the quality sucks big time

& where can i get it? for how much?

thanx for the help

Old 03-30-02, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The "Funny" (name of company) releases were supposedly in widescreen (non anamorphic) and had english subtitles and came in DD5.1 or DTS and DD5.1, but the spoken language was Mandarin only. Those are out of print and hard to find. There are some other releases from other countries with anamorphic transfers, but they lack both 5.1 surround as well as english subtitles. The perfect DVD for this film doesn't yet exist. Try www.asiandvdguide.com for questions like this... it's a handy resource.
Old 03-30-02, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 641 Likes on 441 Posts
The Spanish DVD of Thunderbolt is anamorphic with english subtitiles, but only in Cantonese DD Stereo surround. The disc is also in PAL and is R2. It can be bought here: http://www.dvdgo.com
Old 03-30-02, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thank you
Old 03-30-02, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Jay G.
The Spanish DVD of Thunderbolt is anamorphic with english subtitiles, but only in Cantonese DD Stereo surround. The disc is also in PAL and is R2. It can be bought here: http://www.dvdgo.com
I like the Cantonese track (im not very worried about 5.1)
but R2 PAL DVD

I need a region free player!!
Old 03-30-02, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Totally speculating here, but this one might see a HK R0 release sometime soon since a bunch of Jackie's stuff is being re-released over there... Also - this is one of his movies that hasn't seen a R1 release, so it might be about time. I picked up the VCD for a few bucks and I'm waiting for a decent DVD before plunking down any more money on it.
Old 03-31-02, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If your refering to the stuff thats being re-released now, alot of that stuff doesnt have english subs.

DDDHouse lists some of Jackie's movies coming out again and they are like that: Rumble in the Bronx, First Strike...so on.
Old 03-31-02, 02:38 AM

Already released

Originally posted by Trigger
Totally speculating here, but this one might see a HK R0 release sometime soon since a bunch of Jackie's stuff is being re-released over there... Also - this is one of his movies that hasn't seen a R1 release, so it might be about time. I picked up the VCD for a few bucks and I'm waiting for a decent DVD before plunking down any more money on it.

The HK version is already out, from Warner Brothers, Region 3, no subtitles (dub only) and full screen to boot. Really about as useful as a vhs tape with those sort of specs.

The Spanish disc is the only one worth owning for the English-needy, and it is very close to an ultimate edition of the film, apart from the presence of extras. 5.1 remixes bare little importance for a film from this period, but the PAL encoding does for those who are PAL-crippled. The Funny and Thakral releases aren't really worth bothering with as the quality is subpar on the video end of both, but the Scandanavian releases are well worth a look if you speak any of the languages that are present in the subtitles.

There were also French and German releases I believe, neither subtitled or dubbed in English though the packaging was a bit misleading in this regard. Curious if this will get an eventual US direct to video release as the rights have been sat on for ages and the film has already been dubbed and remastered for dvd. Does Columbia hold the rights for North America or is it Miramax? Can't remember if this was part of Miramax's North American acquisitions. If it is Columbia you may see this through their new line of Asian cinema themed sublabel.
Old 03-31-02, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does anyone know if IMDB lists the studio that had distribution rights to this movie in the US?

I really need a Malata!
Old 03-31-02, 07:12 PM
Banned

Columiba/Tristar own the rights to Thunderbolt. It was supposed to be released here about two or three years ago. Jackie Chan was on TRL talking about it. The movie was redubbed and the title was changed to Dead Heat. They had also planned to release it when Driven came out but they never did.