Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Review wanted. JSA and MUSA: the warrior

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-02, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone got the dvds of these korean movies? imdb rates both pretty high... but i wanna know about the dvd itself before buying them.
previous experience like shiri tells me korean dvds are nicely made and quality. prove me wrong?
Old 03-26-02, 11:44 AM

Actaully Shiri is very poorly mastered. I didn't realize this fact until I bought a 47" rp TV. You can definitely see the incredible level of graininess on a larger screen and I'll probably get the US DVD now because of this.

As for the others. Hong Kong Legends is releasing Musa this year so you may want to wait since the extras will be subtitled.
Old 03-26-02, 12:24 PM

I will be getting the Korean version any day now. If I can avoid the 4% Pal speed up I will if there is an NTSC anamorphic option with subtitles. The movie is the important thing for me. From what I can gather at this Korean review site, the picture draws high marks (4/5 stars)
http://www.dvdprime.com/board/dvdinf...keyfield=&key=

I can get the gist of the extras without subtitles. The site above also has shots of the menu screens as well as scans from the dvd, looks great. There is also a picture of the limited edition hardcover photo book that comes with it as well.

Last edited by Hannibal; 03-26-02 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-26-02, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am with Hannibal. My Musa shipped Friday (I think). So I should have it fairly soon. It's a 2 disc set. I'd rather not wait for the HKL. Usually if the review of the HKL makes it a must have, I'll trade off the korean one for it. I already traded out my DM Bichunmoo in anticipation of the HKL (just because it was full screen and lacking in the extras ).
Old 03-26-02, 02:12 PM

dang! those pictures look amazing. now.. my last question for musa is what the cheapest price? i see yesasia and asiandb have them for about 24.99? any cheaper for a poor poor student? hehe
Old 03-26-02, 02:25 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by scorched03
dang! those pictures look amazing. now.. my last question for musa is what the cheapest price? i see yesasia and asiandb have them for about 24.99? any cheaper for a poor poor student? hehe
DVDAsian has it for 24.95$.... - .04$
Old 03-26-02, 02:56 PM

You could also try KRdvd.com out of Canada. This is a new site, run by "Tristan" on the Asian dvd guide forum so has a good selection. He only takes paypal for now. I think it is 19.00 plus shipping. Actually what I am jazzed about is that he mentions a new Malata model coming out in a month.

Last edited by Hannibal; 03-26-02 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-26-02, 05:37 PM

Has anyone used Krdvd.com before? I just checked their site and their prices look really good.
Old 03-26-02, 06:17 PM

axolotls return:

i searched for info on the HK Legends release of musa. anymore info you know of this? i searching some websites and movie pages but nothing about it coming out.
Old 03-26-02, 07:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by scorched03
axolotls return:

i searched for info on the HK Legends release of musa. anymore info you know of this? i searching some websites and movie pages but nothing about it coming out.
Heres the info from Hong Kong Legends site on 2/28

"We are pleased to announce that we have just completed negotiations for the Korean Epic "Musa: The Warrior" , starring 'Iron Monkey's' Yu Rong-kwong and the beautiful and talented Zhang Zi-yi from "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon".

Along with 'Bichunmoo', 'Muse' is our second Korean title, and both DVDs will be produced by the HKL team to the same standard as our Hong Kong releases.

Oh no, that means I'll have to stare at Zhang Zi-yi for hours on end!!

You better believe it!!

Brian"
Old 03-26-02, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,344 Likes on 903 Posts
Originally posted by Hannibal
You could also try KRdvd.com out of Canada. This is a new site, run by "Tristan" on the Asian dvd guide forum so has a good selection. He only takes paypal for now. I think it is 19.00 plus shipping. Actually what I am jazzed about is that he mentions a new Malata model coming out in a month.
He's in Canada but are these prices in CDN or US dollars?
Old 03-26-02, 09:04 PM
Cool New Member

These prices are in US $....
Old 03-26-02, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HKL version could be cut

the current korean dvd is 155 mins. other versions released outside of korea could be cut.

i gathered this info from the forum boards @ koreanfilms.org .
Old 03-27-02, 08:43 AM

Cut may not be the proper description... more like re-edited by the director to tighten the flow and add some extra scenes of Zhang ZiYi.

J.T.
Old 03-27-02, 10:27 AM

The KOrean version is almost 3 hours long...TOO LONG...drawn out and given that "Epic" look...but nothing to back it up...Zhang Zi given nothing much to do, bad acting from the lead...Good look to the movie but I was disappointed by it..The DVD is supposed to be good though..Saw it in the store here and it includes a hardback book of photos..It's also a limited edition(prob becaus of the book!!)..Some nifty extras but they're probably all in Korean with no subs.....
As with most Korean DVD"s , they look good on a small screen but you should stick to region 1 and 2 releases if you have a big telly coz they master the DVD differently and the Korean one doesn';t hold up well on the big screen....
Old 03-27-02, 10:35 AM

I have the Korean special edition dvd of Pulp Fiction and the remastered anamorphic print looks fantastic on the big screen...It was a Spectrum release. Musa is from CJ Entertainment a big distributor as well if I understand correctly.
Old 03-28-02, 08:56 AM

Sorry, Imeant Korean releases of KOREAN MOVIES..Pulp Fiction was probably the same one that was released in region 1 and therefore the same quality.Shiri was released in a newly mastered version for region 1 thats why that one is better quality..If you are looking for American movies that are released on Korean DVD they will be the same disc quality as region 1 ...(usually)because the discs are not mastered in Korea....
Old 03-28-02, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

mrKwang OST-DVD Ebay store has it for $19.99 + shipping for one more day. It is a Limited Edition 2 Disc set. And $1 goes to KFCCinema during this week:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1526135238

Here is an email he sent about the L.E.:
In Korea, DVD manufacturer doesn't write number on limited edition,
and doesn't shout the exact number. So we Korean are not sure HOW
MANY they press their limited edition, and when it would go OOP
exactly. But for [MUSA] limited edition, that's very fast selling, as
[My Sassy Girl] tin box, or much more than that. Then I assume [Musa]
ltd. box could be OOP very soon. So if you want that limited edition,
make hurry before OOP!

Not sure re-release edition would include that hardcover book or not,
but that seems expensive supplement, so they could exclude that one
after 1st. release.

And 1 day left for my store sale. Of course, about 16 stuffs remained
at that score. But my sale is only 1 week, not quantity. And I've got
several orders only from e-mail. So if you want that one, plz make
hurry. I could get only reserve, but even if you reserve, plz make
payment within 1 weeks. (:

--- mrKwang OST-DVD store customers

Mine shipped Monday
Old 03-28-02, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Although, I didn't buy from Kwang or Tristran, It's my understanding that you'll probably never get this DVD set w/ book at a cheaper price in the near future. The DVD Set w/ book is supposed to freakin' heavy and shipping charges will be higher to get it over here and that the wholesale price is pretty high as well.

Get it now, or pay $5+ later.
Old 03-28-02, 02:58 PM

Got my copy of MUSA SE last night. I have not had a chance to go through the whole thing but it is a pretty impressive package. Our friends at Hong Kong Legends have their work cut out for them if they plan on toping this edition.
Old 03-28-02, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jomalley2001
Our friends at Hong Kong Legends have their work cut out for them if they plan on toping this edition.
You mean that HKL will have a hard-time surpassing this edition or the HKL will easily top this version.

Incidentally, what if HKL release the director preferred shorter version instead of this 155 minute one? Would you buy it?

J: How heavy was the package?
Old 03-28-02, 06:03 PM

IMO Hong Kong Legends will have to work very hard to beat this package. The Slipcase case is nice looking, the book is very cool, (in an artsy kind of way), and from what I have seen of the movie- the transfer is excellent.

That being said I would probably by the shorter version (especially if it had DTS) and put it on the shelf next to this one.
Old 03-29-02, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got mine today. I doubt if HKL will be able to come close to the neat packaging and book. However that's all icing, it's the transfer that counts