Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Best place to order/get non-region 1 dvds?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 02-19-02, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could someone please let me know of a good e-tailer that sells non-region 1 dvds? Is there anyplace online that has choices/titles from all regions? Also, is there anyone here who could share their list or add titles to this thread giving me some selections of titles that are available in other regions? So far I am interested in Jackie Brown and Jack & Sarah. But I'm sure there are many more. Do they all come from overseas and take a long time to arrive?

Finally, is there any huge risk in getting these titles in other regions? I mean, for example, if I ordered Jackie Brown from the UK, would the US release eventually just be the same or would it likely have better features? How do you decide the risk of buying other region dvds when you know sooner or later it might come out in an even better version in region 1? It's already costly just to keep up with the SE and UE re-releases here.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help.
Old 02-19-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm new to this forum. I didn't even know it was here.

I just bought a region free player because I heard from friends about ALL that I was missing and after looking through this thread I'm beginning to panic.

There really didn't seem to be many titles at all that I even knew.

I found:
Jackie Brown
Jack and Sarah (not w/s in region 1)
The Last Seduction
and
Wish You Were Here

I didn't really see nearly the kind of titles I expected. Also, Amazon UK didn't have much info at all. None of the above titles were even listed as widescreen there and no extras info either. Well, they had Jack & Sarah at 1:66:1. Isn't that practically full-screen anyway?

Can or would anyone here help me out? Did I just waste $300 on a Malata DVD player or am I missing something? I don't want tons of DVDs from other region because I won't be able to watch them all on both of my players because the one I already have isn't region free. Still, I thought I'd easily find 10-20 titles.

Also, how do you keep up with new releases outside of region 1 and could someone suggest a few e-tailers that have good reputations and maybe more detail than the amazon.uk site?

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks.
Old 02-19-02, 10:57 PM

I don't know of any one site that deals in discs from all regions, but there are plenty of places around for purchasing from each of the various regions - for example DDDHouse and DVDShelf in Hong Kong (Region 3), EzyDVD and Devoted in Australia(Region 4), Amazon and Black Star in the UK (Region 2 PAL), Amazon and CDJapan in Japan (Region 2 NTSC) etc etc. I am sure you will find all of the appropriate URLs (links) in the threads in this forum.

As for the Malata being a waste of money... why would it be. How much would you have spent on a single region player? At least with the multi-region player you have the option to buy from the other regions whenever you feel the need.

As for the list of titles you are interested in, why restrict yourself to known quantities? There are plenty of other titles that you may not have heard before that will expand your horizons in the world of cinema outside the USA and Hollyweird - check out the recommendations in the threads in this forum and be adventurous - you can always on-sell them if they do not appeal.

Additionally, there are many titles that are available in the US but that do not have the features available on their counterparts in other regions - again there are other threads in this forum dealing with those titles.

Have fun.

regards, Tim...
Old 02-19-02, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by hardtack
I don't know of any one site that deals in discs from all regions, but there are plenty of places around for purchasing from each of the various regions - for example DDDHouse and DVDShelf in Hong Kong (Region 3), EzyDVD and Devoted in Australia(Region 4), Amazon and Black Star in the UK (Region 2 PAL), Amazon and CDJapan in Japan (Region 2 NTSC) etc etc. I am sure you will find all of the appropriate URLs (links) in the threads in this forum.

As for the Malata being a waste of money... why would it be. How much would you have spent on a single region player? At least with the multi-region player you have the option to buy from the other regions whenever you feel the need.

As for the list of titles you are interested in, why restrict yourself to known quantities? There are plenty of other titles that you may not have heard before that will expand your horizons in the world of cinema outside the USA and Hollyweird - check out the recommendations in the threads in this forum and be adventurous - you can always on-sell them if they do not appeal.

Additionally, there are many titles that are available in the US but that do not have the features available on their counterparts in other regions - again there are other threads in this forum dealing with those titles.

Have fun.

regards, Tim...
thanks. i just think that 4 titles isn't enough of a reason to spend $300 on a player. there seem to be quite a few really good players like the panasonic RV31 that i can get for half that. my original plan was to get one of the cheaper region free models for my bedroom tv, then when i thought about the possibility of getting nearly 20 or more dvds from other regions, i changed my mind and decided to put my sony in my room and have the malata as my main player. but after only finding 4 or so dvds, it doesn't seem worth it to me. i already have limited time to watch my dvds and i'd have to spend an awful lot more trying to find movies all over the world. when i though there would be more and an easier way to get them, it seemed better. also, there are all kinds of stories of malata problems. if i get a sony or panasonic from circuit city and there is a problem, i'll just take/send it back. i appreciate your feedback but i just can't see spending $300 and making the Malata my primary dvd player when i found there was not even that many films that were available. And the one that spurred me to get this all going now, Jackie Brown, is a flipper. that really disappointed me. if you have ANY ideas on a good 2nd player besides the one I mentioned, please let me know. thanks a lot.
Old 02-20-02, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by dolphinboy
...And the one that spurred me to get this all going now, Jackie Brown, is a flipper. that really disappointed me. if you have ANY ideas on a good 2nd player besides the one I mentioned, please let me know. thanks a lot.
Actually, the Region 4 Jackie Brown isn't a flipper

regards, Tim...
Old 02-20-02, 04:56 AM

Speaking from the UK, the best/cheapest R2 supplier is Play247.com - much cheaper than Blackstar or Amazon. But if you are happy to wait for the R4 releases, they are normally identical to the R2 ones and cheaper still.
Old 02-20-02, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by PhilJW
Speaking from the UK, the best/cheapest R2 supplier is Play247.com . . .
Hmm, I'll have to check them out.

-k
###
Old 02-20-02, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by PhilJW
Speaking from the UK, the best/cheapest R2 supplier is Play247.com
They are good - however, they don't ship outside of Europe, which is a pity for Keyser Soze and Dolphinboy (assuming he's in R1 land).

www.splashdvd.com might deliver outside of Europe though - I'm not sure, and couldn't find info on this on their site. Their prices are often comparable to Play247.

Dazza.
Old 05-09-02, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Dazza

www.splashdvd.com might deliver outside of Europe though - I'm not sure, and couldn't find info on this on their site. Their prices are often comparable to Play247.

Dazza.
I just checked and they deliver to Europe only.
Old 05-09-02, 05:44 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably no such things as "best" but....

.... I'm wondering if this thread really needs to stay open. Can anyone think of a good/compelling reason?

Or are the points raised more or less covered by the two "sticky" threads cited?
Old 05-10-02, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In R2 - England I've found Bensons World to have very good service.

I used to think "Why would I want an all region player just for 3 movies (Kieslowski's Three Colors Trilogy)?" Well, after making that initial purchase (which was excellent), I found that R2 had a widescreen version of Chariots of Fire, which I got (looks superb). Then, they also have AbFab's Last Shout (for some reason the collector's set issued here doesn't have it), which I also bought. And then, I found they had the director's cut of Cinema Paradiso, and some Hong Kong Legends titles, which I bought. And then... well, you get the idea.

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's really cool to be able to watch any movie from any part of the world. Plus you know those films won't get borrowed any time soon. Elitist? Perhaps, but I think it is going the extra mile(s) to get something I enjoy.