International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Beware of [....]

Old 02-10-02, 04:45 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beware of Bensonsworld "free" international shipping

The other day I placed an order for Futurama from Bensonsworld to take advantage of their free international shipping. I noticed at checkout that they did not deduct VAT. As someone outside of the EU I do not have to pay VAT, so I sent an email to Bensonsworld checking if their prices included VAT. I received a reply back saying, “Thanks for your mail - our prices do include VAT, but for DVD free shipping we retain the VAT to pay for the shipping.” Now I am not sure how this makes for free shipping, as the VAT is about £4.75. For example, if I ordered it from Amazon.co.uk, I would only pay £31.99, less VAT is £27.23. With their shipping costs of £2.95, the total is still only £30.18. So it looks like it is best to ignore Bensonsworld’s “DVD postage is FREE, wherever you are in the world!” offer and just go for a company that does not charge you for “free” shipping.

A moderator notes: I'm sure we had a thread on this topic just a week or so ago but cannot now locate it: perhaps the originator deleted it. Anyhow, I think the original title was somewhat misleading and/or unnecessarily combative so, as the point has been addressed in the follow-up post, I'm now closing this.

Last edited by benedict; 02-10-02 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-10-02, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 644 Likes on 444 Posts
Actually, go for the lowest total price.

Bensonsworld includes the price of shipping in their price, but not VAT. Amazon UK includes the price of VAT in their price, but not shipping. It doesn't matter. Just go with the store that has the lowest total price. For my purchases of HKL titles, that has usually been Bensonsworld, but if Amazon UK had a lower price I'd take it.

Personally, I like Bensons pricing scheme better, as the price I see on the item is the price I ultamately pay, whereas for amazon, the price I see - VAT + shipping is the price I pay, which is a headache.