Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question on regional coding of Japanese DVD's

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-02, 09:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I want to buy some original Japanese Godzilla movies in the original Japanese language from Japan. I have a Pioneer DVD-700 Combination player and it sez that if the disc is coded with all of these numbers only: 1-2-3-4 or 1-2-3 it will play, but if coded 2-3-4-5 or 2-3 it will not.

My question is what is the regional coding on a Japanese DVD. Is it 2 by itself or a combination of codes with a 1 included
Old 01-26-02, 11:56 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe most of the Japanese DVDs are region 2 coded. And they are NTSC.

So go ahead!!!
Old 01-26-02, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought that most Japanese DVDs were region 3, ntsc, but I'm not a reliable source for that information.
If it is region 3 only, I don't think the player you have now will play it, from what you've stated.

I recently ordered the Japanese film "Audition" from DDDhouse, on my first order, and it is region 3, so I don't expect it to play on either my JVC or Toshiba players (I'm in the U.S.), but I think I might be able to watch it on my computer's DVD-rom drive. When I put a region 1 disc in there, it has other regions showing, but greyed out, and I think that means it might be ready to recognize some other region discs. When I put an "all-region" HK disc in there, the region box didn't even pop up, the disc just started up.
Old 01-26-02, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...Japan is Region 2 NTSC...

...some Japanese (and some Korean, some Mainland Chinese, some Thai) movies in my DVD 'collection' are encoded R3 when they are released on Hong Kong Labels... probably a 'contractual' thing, since most Hong Kong DVDs that I have, are encoded R0 (a.k.a. Region All or All Region) regardless of whether they contain a movie made in Hong Kong, in Mainland China, or in Thailand... and all of them are encoded NTSC...

http://www.laserrot.com/info/lrinfo/dvdmap.html

. . . . . .
Old 01-26-02, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hendrik,
Thanks for clearing that up.
Well, I figure that if I'm able to play the region 3 version of "Audition" on my computer, then I should be able to play some other region-encoded discs that way.
Of course, an all-region type player is on my want list, because I'd much rather watch films on my new Sony 57" widescreen tv than on my 17" computer monitor.
Old 01-26-02, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Like Hendrik said, Japan is region 2 NTSC.

I have a region free player that has no problem playing region 1 DVDs (majority of my collection) or region 2 DVDs I buy here in Japan.
Old 01-26-02, 10:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, I think I won't be able to play those Japanese ones on my player. If what you are saying is this, that Japanese are Region 2 only and my player needs it to say Region 1 along with Region 2.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 01-27-02, 10:16 AM
Cool New Member

Check out the Pioneer DV-515. It plays all DVDs (doesn't matter which region) I have region 1 and 2 DVDs. They all play just fine in it. And you can manualy switch from PAL to NTSC and NTSC to PAL. It even plays the protected RC1's like Hollow Man and a few others. In this case you can switch the code manualy otherwise the player will do it itself.
Old 01-27-02, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by MovieMan11779
Check out the Pioneer DV-515. It plays all DVDs (doesn't matter which region) I have region 1 and 2 DVDs.

Where would i find one of these?