Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Finally saw Amelie...

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Finally saw Amelie...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-02, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Finally saw Amelie...

It was quite delightful. I wish the french 3 disc set had subtitles. For those who haven't seen it, it's about this cute quirky french girl in her 20's. The director Jean-Pierre Jeunet is brilliant and very detailed and if you haven't seen Delicatessen or City of Lost Children, you're depriving yourself. Amelie is another wonderful film to add to that list. Jeunet also directed Aliens Resurrection, but don't hold that against him... He's a magician and this movie will warm your heart.

Anyway - me and my roommate were the youngest people in the theater by about 40 years but I don't think you people should let the senior citizens keep this little gem to themselves... go see it.

Who else has seen it? Any new news on a DVD containing english subs? I know a UK disc is planned, but I've found nothing about extras.
Old 01-26-02, 07:40 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Due for release on 25/03/2002 She'll change your life.

Studio: Momentum
Extras: Director's Commentary. Storyboards. Script to screen feature. Trailers. Talent Q&A Feature. Director's Interview. 'Audrey Tatou's Funny Faces' Feature. Making of Amelie Featurette. (With English Subtitles)

I have got the French Limited (tin) Edition and 2 Disc Collector's Edition. I absolutely love the movie. One of the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!
I believe the UK region 2 DVD of Amelie is gonna be single Disc edition. Pre-ordered this one for £14.99 from Play.com
Old 01-26-02, 10:05 AM

one of the best movie i saw this year, even my girlfriend, who's not really into film, wanted me to stop the film coz she didn't want it to end
Old 01-26-02, 01:08 PM
pum

He's a magician alright. the film shined even i didn't understand French (watched the french disc). one of the best of the year really.
hope english sub can show the film is even better than i thought.
Old 01-26-02, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Watched this in the theater about 2 weeks ago, easily one of the most enjoyable movies I have seen in a while. I'm waiting on an English Subbed version of the film my college french is a bit rusty. When the characters were talking I caught bits and pieces but the narration at the begining really sets up the story and he talks quick.
Old 01-26-02, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
How often will you have a smile on your face for days after seeing a movie? A pure moment of cinematic bliss.

Old 01-27-02, 04:51 PM
Registered

Some people looked at me funny when I named this my pick for top film of 2001... it's hard to think of another movie that was this enjoyable to watch in 2001!
Old 01-28-02, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by gkleinman
Some people looked at me funny when I named this my pick for top film of 2001...
Are you sure that's why they were looking at you funny?

Reagrdless, I would have to agree that Amelie was the best film I saw last year. I'm still catching up on a few released for Oscar consideration in late December.
Old 01-28-02, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Beyond Lord Of The Rings, this film was the best of 2001. I'd be hardpressed to think of a movie that was more charming - I simply couldn't wipe the goofy grin off of my face while watching it.

Highly recommended!

-matt
Old 12-02-02, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

well, i thought the movie was quite excellent! (although, i wouldn't say it was the best movie of the year...)

have you listened to the commentary? it is actually quite hilarious! especially what he says about paris. LOL
Old 12-03-02, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

So.....what's wrong with importing the R1 disc.....I think that we got it pretty well here in the States.....
Old 12-03-02, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

are there out takes??? the commentary refers to them on the dvds.
Old 12-03-02, 03:31 PM

Check out City of Lost Children, then. It's an earlier collaboration by Jeunet and Caro. Having seen it before, left me a little disappointed with Amelie. Otherwise I would have enjoyed it more, I think. I thought the second half dragged but I will get around to rewatching it on video one of these days.

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0112682

Last edited by dleedlee; 12-03-02 at 03:34 PM.