International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

R4 DVD suppliers??

Old 01-20-02, 01:26 AM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts
R4 DVD suppliers??

I searched but didn't find a good thread on this...

What are the best places to find R4 DVDs (when purchasing from US)....

If there is already a thread thead that you know of, then post and I will close/delete this...

Thanks in advance,

-moo
Old 01-20-02, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best place I've dealt with is EzyDVD but I've heard OzDVDWarehouse is good as well. I'd rate EzyDVD as the best etailer worldwide based on my experiences with them compared to dozens of others.
Old 01-20-02, 02:26 AM

I totally agree. EzyDVD is very reliable, and very fast. Their prices are also quite good for most things.

Another place you may want to try is DVDStop (http://www.dvdstop.com.au).

Both EzyDVD and DVDStop subtracts the 10% GST from the price when processing overseas orders.

(and on that point: you would think that all dealers would be forced to do that under the law, but in the UK, Blackstar is consistently refusing to take out the VAT on overseas orders, which is quite annoying. AmazonUK and HMV UK has no problem doing that)
Old 01-20-02, 04:48 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<small>
Originally posted by lwdog
[....] you would think that all dealers would be forced to do that under the law, but in the UK, Blackstar is consistently refusing to take out the VAT on overseas orders, which is quite annoying. AmazonUK and HMV UK has no problem doing that)
</small>I don't know the answer to this and haven't time to check right now but do Blackstar charge extra for overseas shipping? What about UK Amazon/HMV? I was just wondering if the difference could be attributed to a business model whereby Blackstar set one all-inclusive price and relied on the VAT element to pay for postage outside of Europe whereas HMV and Amazon knock off the VAT and then add on a postal charge. Just a thought.... quite possibly erroneous!
Old 01-20-02, 08:12 AM

I think Blackstar does have a uniform shipping policy, and for the few times I have talked with them regarding their VAT policy, this seems to be their justification.

The problem, however, is twofold:

1. Blackstar's 'Uniform' Shipping Rate is lower in some cases (such as single items), but actually quite high for others (like Boxsets), and their pricing is not that low either.

The result of this, is a much higher overall purchase price. Two examples:

(i) Single Disc New Release, eg. Rush Hour 2

This title is listed as £15.99 at AmazonUK, and £18.59 at Blackstar. Note that the two prices are VAT inclusive. The VAT-free price of RH2 at AmazonUK is £13.61. Postage and Handling is £2.95 and £1.40 respectively.

Now a comparison:

Extra postage at Amazon on item: £1.55
Extra VAT paid at Blackstar: £2.38

So Blackstar's business model does not really pass on the savings on the VAT to customers on postage. In this case the total purchase price is around £3.40 more expensive at Blackstar.

(i) Boxset Preorder, eg. Futurama

If you don't think the comparison is fair, because the price is already much lower at AmazonUK, let's compare a more similarly priced item, the Futurama DVD Set (or the Angel set, etc). You will find that amazingly, AmazonUK charges boxsets at single item rate, and that they have a cheaper price, and that they refund VAT...

Price at Blackstar (w/VAT): £32.79
Price at AmazonUK (w/VAT): £31.99
Price at AmazinUK (w/ automatic VAT refund): £27.23 *CHEAPER

Postage at Blackstar: £3.60
Postage at AmazonUK: £2.95 *CHEAPER

Total Cost: £30.18 (AmazonUK), £36.39 (Blackstar).

As you can see, the total cost with shipping, is more than £6 at Blackstar, whereas the original price differential is less than £1. This is mainly due to their unwillingless to refund VAT.

The more expensive the item is, the more extreme this VAT differential would be. For example, for Angel Season Two DVD:

Totoal Cost: £57.41 (AmazonUK), £72.39 (Blackstar)!

2. The second reason, and I think the overriding one, is simply the fact that, it is illegal to charge VAT knowingly, if you are selling to customers outside the EU. It is simply wrong.

What do you guys think?
Old 01-21-02, 04:26 PM

Try:

www.marbecks.co.nz

The exchange rate may be more favourable
Old 01-22-02, 10:30 AM

Another is www.DeVoteD.com.au
Old 01-24-02, 04:26 AM

I noticed today that the R4 retailer, DVDstop.com.au , is doing a 15% off promotion, giving an extra 15% off their normal price on in stock items.

You may want to check it out... but note that they tend to only stock DVD from large distributors. For the large list of titles you will need to go back to a place like EzyDVD.

The promotion ends (according to the site) 4th Feb.
Old 01-24-02, 06:08 AM

When it's up, www.dvdplaza.com.au is the Australian equivalent of DVDTalk and DVDPricesearch.
Old 08-21-02, 09:31 PM

I need some feedback on your experiences with EZYDVD.

I placed an order on 8-12-02 on 3 items that they said were all "in stock--ships immeditely".

Right now, as of today, the order stauts said it's still "on hold"....can you help me out by letting me know how long you had to wait for your order to ship?

I live in CA.

THANKS
Old 08-22-02, 01:37 AM
Banned

www.CD-Wow.net carries some R4 dvds. They have BTTF for US $25.95 shipped. They also carry other region stuff
Old 08-22-02, 02:21 AM

Try Atlantic DVD, they have good prices & pretty fast shipping. I've had no problems with them.
Old 08-22-02, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try the stickied thread for International Retailers from anywhere...
Old 08-22-02, 02:08 PM

I need some feedback on your experiences with EZYDVD.

I placed an order on 8-12-02 on 3 items that they said were all "in stock--ships immeditely".

Right now, as of today, the order stauts said it's still "on hold"....can you help me out by letting me know how long you had to wait for your order to ship?

I live in CA.

THANKS

Is it your first order?
I cant remember but I think they go through the process of checking cc detail against shipping addresses, I may be totaly wrong though. So give them a while to check you out.

Or they'r online ordering stock system isnt as upto date as they think. But I have only had GOOD experiences with EZYDVD and are one of my 3 main stores I buy from, the others being dvdboxoffice for R1's and play.com for R2's.

The only other time I'v saw that was on one of my orders when my card was maxed out and it cc company wouldnt authorise transaction. Which to be honest is the most likely reason.

ps www.chaosmusic.com.au is another R4 retailer but havnt used them for ages, tend to go with EZYDVD all the time these days.

Last edited by cheekymunkey; 08-22-02 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-22-02, 02:31 PM

I've had no problems with EzyDVD. I've used them several times with all my orders arriving in a week or a bit less.
Old 08-23-02, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree that EZDVD is a great etailer. I've always had fast shipping and no problems from them.

When I placed my first order, they did send me an e-mail asking me to confirm that I knew I was ordering Region 4 DVDs and aknowledging that they are not compatible with region 1 players. Have you received such an e-mail? They understandably won't process an order without it and you only have to verify once.
Old 08-23-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Doc Moonlight
I agree that EZDVD is a great etailer. I've always had fast shipping and no problems from them.

When I placed my first order, they did send me an e-mail asking me to confirm that I knew I was ordering Region 4 DVDs and aknowledging that they are not compatible with region 1 players. Have you received such an e-mail? They understandably won't process an order without it and you only have to verify once.
I also received this with my recent first order. Here is a copy of it.

Hi Christopher,

Can you please confirm with us that you are aware the order you
have placed is for dvd product that is region coded 4 and
compatible with the PAL format.
We will hold your order until we receive your advice.

1 x Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 3 - COMPLETE SET (6 Discs)
(219204) @ $122.73ea

Regards
---------------------------------------------
EzyDVD - Online Dvd Sales
www.ezydvd.com.au
---------------------------------------------

Glad they care enough for their customers and hopefully this works with my XBOX with region 4 dvd playback kit.

NN
Old 08-23-02, 01:01 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I indedd had to email them a few days ago and finally received a response asking if I was aware of the Regional differences.

They said that they emailed me twice already asking me this. I never did receive an email asking me this question. I only receieved email confirmations of my order request.

Oh well, I did let them know I was aware and to ship away!!

Woo-hoo!! Buffy season 3 and Angel Season 1,2 here they come!!

Now I have to get Back to the Future!!

Thanks guys!!

p.s. did someone mention that their website is a little delayed when you look at your order status?
Old 08-23-02, 04:33 PM

I have ordered my first DVD from EzyDVD the other day, i will let you know how long it takes to arrive.
Old 08-28-02, 10:01 PM

It arrived today. (About a week delivery.) It was inside a piece of cardboard and the DVD itself is shinkwrapped and pristine. It was marked as a gift (i chose this in the shipping options) and i will be buying from them again in the future. :-)

I was going to order from another Region 4 DVD store which i've forgotten the name of, but i noticed that they have a procedure with new overseas credit card orders where they check your card by crediting it with a small amount of money. You then have to contact your bank (or wait for the bill in the mail) and verify it on the website... it was a slightly cheaper place to buy from, but i'm quite impatient. :-)
Old 08-28-02, 10:50 PM

Mr Carpenter, that other R4 etailer your talking about sounds like AtlanticDVD. I went thru the same credit card check with them. They're worth doing business with as they have some DVDs not available from EzyDVD. Patience has some rewards!