Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Creature Corner reviews 'Junk'

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 01-17-02, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.creature-corner.com/reviews/junk.php3

For those who love zombie flicks..
Old 02-02-02, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Not to be a negative nancy, but I didn't care for it much. I just thought I'd warn anyone who was thinking of getting it... it's certainly not for everyone. It's campy and very silly and dreadfully awful - but just barely enough to be amusing. I laughed a few times, but the rest of the time I was just kinda bored. It pretty much borrowed from dozens of Hollywood films from action to sci-fi to horror to comedy and didn't really have much original content. If you're really into cheeseball zombie flicks, then this one is certainly worth watching. I guess I'm not THAT into them... I like Dawn of the Dead and Night of the Living Dead and Return of the Living Dead 3 and Night of the Creeps, but Junk was just average and basically terrible. It had a few good moments, but not enough to make me a fan. I think if you were able to pick it up for 10 bucks and you were a fan of the genre, it would make more sense, but this title is a bit more expensive than that if you can find it. Just thought I'd share... if anyone wants me to elaborate, I'd be happy to.
Old 02-02-02, 09:49 AM

I enjoyed it but it was far from a masterpiece. Of the new Japanese zombie films, it's probably the closest you're going to find to a Fulci or Romero style film. If you're a fan of these directors then it may be worth checking out for you.

I still think Wild Zero is the best, followed by Versus and then Junk. I haven't seen Stacy yet but I also can't find it subtitled.
Old 02-03-02, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are 'wild zero' & 'versus' available on dvd ?
Old 03-01-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
Originally posted by InnocentBlood
are 'wild zero' & 'versus' available on dvd ?

Wild Zero you can get from CD Japan at http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/

Versus is coming to DVD in April I think.

Can someone post a review of Wild Zero???
Old 03-01-02, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,257 Likes on 837 Posts
Here's a Wild Zero review (there's one on the site for Junk as well) from Keith Allison. As always, it's very long, he rambles a lot, goes off on tangents to talk about sociology, history, etc... but is always highly entertaining. Warning, always lot's of spoilers! Which is why I usually read his reviews after I've seen the movie.

Full Review:

http://www.teleport-city.com/movies/...wild_zero.html

Excerpt (No spoilers):

"I really can't say enough good things about Wild Zero. It's an Ed "Big Daddy" Roth drawing come true. Monsters and zombies, rockabillies and romance. It's the most fun I've had at the movies in a long time. It represents everything I love about film and about life. Well, I don't love being chased by zombies, but I guess even that would be more fun if I had a glowing guitar samurai sword and ninja star guitar picks. If you are a fan of zombies, bikers, rock and roll music, action, or just damn good films, then this is the movie for you. After watching it, I wondered what it was I'd liked about other zombie movies so much. With the exception of Dawn of the Dead -- which incidentally was also highlighted by a strong cast of basically likeable characters -- they seem such distant trailers of a movie like this that just does everything right and remains a wild ride from beginning to end. I don't want to use the phrase "If you see only one movie," because as I said at the beginning of this review, I wouldn't want to watch just one film. So watch a lot of films, but make sure this is one of the first ones you grab. It's absolutely fantastic, and that's about as good as things can get."
Old 03-01-02, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
cool sounds like a can't miss flick, just ordered it. ~$47 to express ship it. Kinda spendy but if it is that good.... either way it is going for that much on ebay so if I resell it I won't lose much.

Thanks for the review!!!!

Last edited by d2cheer; 03-01-02 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-01-02, 09:04 PM

I love Wild Zero. It's really hit and miss with most people. If you like garage punk, zombies and completely far-fetched plots that never make any sense then you'll love it. It's non-stop punk rock, action and a bizarre love story (can't say more or I'll give it away). It's just barely my favorite edging out Versus by a hair.

Junk is a throwback to more of the classic 70's and 80's style zombie flicks. It's much slower paced and, unfortunately, has some rather poor SFX. I enjoyed it but it's my least favorite of the big 3 Japanese zombie films.

To rank the 3 on a scale of 1-10 I'd say:

Wild Zero - 9
Versus - 9
Junk - 6
Old 03-02-02, 12:54 AM

Just to offset you guys...

I HATED Wild Zero... a crappy, pointless, senseless movie...
Definitely not worth the $50US price tag.

Junk was superior to Wild Zero. It was fun!

Versus is the best of the three... although it was slow in the middle, the action, cinetography and music was great!

Versus -9
JUNK - 7
Wild Zero -5

J.T.
Old 03-03-02, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
More reviews:

Wild Zero: http://www.kfccinema.com/reviews/hor.../wildzero.html

Versus: http://www.kfccinema.com/reviews/act...us/versus.html

Tuan Jim