Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How is the Korean version of Yi Yi?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-02, 07:06 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See below (I won't delete this thread since others might not know the good word)

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 01-16-02 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-16-02, 07:13 PM
Mod Emeritus

Wow I hadn't taken a look at my old thread, I thought it died! Apparently it is a high quality version (Korea) with an anamorphic transfer! Hurray indeed!

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=167165
Old 01-16-02, 07:17 PM
Mod Emeritus

Here is the relevant stuff:

from HKFlix

Just so everyone knows, there's now a great anamorphic version from Korea. It's by far the best version currently available, featuring Mandarin (or Japanese) audio with removable English (or Korean) subtitles. It also has some nice special features, which are unfortunately in Korean only, but things like the Trailers don't really need English much anyway... I loved this movie, so I'm glad there's finally an appropriate DVD available now.

DVDTalk link:
http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.../qx/details.htm
Old 01-16-02, 07:18 PM
Mod Emeritus

Here are some questions from the esteemed Richard Malloy. I'd love to seem them answered:

Wow... thanks for the news!

I can't believe I hadn't heard of this. If I understand you correctly, this disc is region-free, NTSC, and with English subtitles (on everything but the extras)?

If this really is, finally, a decent transfer of this film, then I'd love to get a slim, 2-disc case so I can make this version the "Primary feature" first disc along with my Winstar directory-commentary version as the "Special Feature" second disc. Now that'd be a worthwhile DVD edition!

OK, so now I have questions! Let me just throw these out there:

Decent English subtitles? Or has it been translated by the Korean equivalent of babelfish.com?

No PAL-speedup? I noticed that the running time is listed as 173 minutes, which is the same as Winster/FL, but three minutes longer than the listed time for the French DVD that Hendrik linked to. Often, one can't trust these time listings - plus, there's been some accusations that the problems with the Winstar disc are from poor PAL>NTSC conversion - so does anyone really know whether this is time-correct, pitch-correct, etc?

And I'm very happy to see that the soundtrack is listed as DD-2.0 surround. Hopefully, this won't be like some other imports with the overpumped rear channels and oddly placed effects. And I'd hate it if that simple, wonderful little theme got all strained and "phasey".

Any help would be very much appreciated!