International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Kairo...

Old 12-01-01, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kairo...

Hi, I've been reading this forum for a while now, but I finally registered today ^_^

Anyway, I recently bought a Kairo DVD (jap horror) on ebay. It says region 2 on it, but I think it might be a bootleg - the quality of the cover and of the disc art don't seem too great. The problem is, the subtitles lag terribly. They start off fine but as the movie progress get laggier and laggier and by the end the subs appear about 5 seconds after the line is spoken. I think this movie is amazing but the subs thing really distracted me, it's such a shame too as the subs are pretty much perfect english.

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a better version or could confirm whether or not there is a bootleg around. I would really, really like a better version if there is one around. If anyone else owns it, could you tell me if you have experienced the same problem ? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

On a similar note, can anyone tell me about the quality of the HK releases of Uzumaki and Evil Dead Trap? thanks very much !!
Old 12-01-01, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 123 Likes on 93 Posts
Gaumont (France, R2) have Kairo and Charisma scheduled for February 2002.

http://www.dvdrama.net/news.php3?3652

The site is in french, but scroll down and look under 20 Février 2002. I haven't found any DVD specs.
Old 12-01-01, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The ChinaStar DVD of Once Upon a Time in China and America does this as well - very annoying.
Old 12-02-01, 01:12 AM

Kairo Bootleg

There is indeed a bootleg of Kairo available. The bootleg in question lifts the artwork of the original Japanese release, hence the similiar appearance you mention. I've not heard of any subtitle problems with the original R2 release, so it's just another case of a sloppy bootleg. Many Japanese R2 releases that feature English subtitles have been bootlegged with the addition of Chinese subtitles. Confirmed titles currently available via HK ebay sellers would be Brother, Charisma, Kairo, Ame Agaru, and Love Letter. These are almost exclusively Single layered bootlegs, where in some cases the originals are dual layer.

Last edited by Furious; 12-02-01 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-02-01, 04:47 AM
Cool New Member

Uzumaki & Evil Dead Trap

There isn't a HK DVD of Evil Dead Trap, only a US one (released by Synapse) & a Japanese one which I can no longer find on any site - out of print, perhaps?

I think the HK DVD of Uzumaki is very good. The movie is great too.
Old 12-02-01, 08:09 AM

Thanks for your replies everyone! I wasn't able to tell if it was a region 2 or a region 0 disc as I only have a PAL PS2 with DVD Region X to watch DVDs, but I just checked the auction and it is indeed the region 0 bootleg. Found the r2 on ebay, bidding now! I'm just glad I'll get to watch this movie *properly*! Thanks for clearing this up!