Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ordering "L'appartement" From Cinestore?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-01, 10:24 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm attempting to order the R2 DVD of "L'appartement" from French site Cinestore, and while I'm adept enough with Babel Fish to figure out the order form, I'm unclear as to how I can indicate that I want the DVD shipped to the US -- or if they even ship to the US at all. They list any number of countries in a drop-down box, but the US does not appear to be among them.

Does anyone have any experience placing orders with Cinestore from the US? Or is there another site I should use for ordering? I checked with Amazon France, but unfortunately they only carry the pan & scan version of "L'appartement."

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
--
Chris
Old 11-29-01, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...ahh... there has only ever been one version of L'Appartement on French DVD:

http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/fiche.php3?id=110

(anamorphic 1.85:1, optional English subtitles)

. . . . . .
Old 11-29-01, 10:39 AM
Cool New Member

Huh...Amazon France lists it as being "Pan & Scan" with an aspect ratio of 1.33:1 under the technical details.

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASI...861180-8809065

Do they simply have incorrect information?

Thanks,
--
Chris
Old 11-29-01, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Do they simply have incorrect information? "

Yes! (have owned the disc since sometime last year)

. . . . . .
Old 11-29-01, 01:16 PM

Re: Ordering "L'appartement" From Cinestore?

Originally posted by chris7crows

Does anyone have any experience placing orders with Cinestore from the US?
I had my 1st order w/ Cinestore a few weeks ago. They processed the order promptly and the order arrived about a week after it was shipped. Their shipping cost to the US is ~ $12 per-order flat (but pre-ordered item is additional $4.8 each). For 1st time customers with a credit-card order above a certain amount they will request proof of name & address (e.g., fax copy of your driver-license).

Amazon.fr's prices appear to be cheaper but I have not tried them (they did not have some items I was looking for in-stock) and hence do not know how fast their shipping to the US is.
Old 11-29-01, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 185 Likes on 152 Posts
To answer your original question -- yes cinestore most certainly does ship to the US. (I order from them regularly).

The word for US is Etats Unis. They charge 90FF flat for shipping to the US, so it pays to order more disks at the same time -- I tend to order 10 or more at a time. They also subtract 18.5% from the price on checkout since they can ship it tax free to the US. They ship priority Airmail which takes about a week.

Amazon has tons of wrong info in their DVD descriptions. Cinestore is far from perfect in that regard, but they are way better than Amazon.

Ted
Old 11-29-01, 01:20 PM

Do Amazon.fr realise how many sales they must lose by constantly getting it wrong and saying that everything is pan and scan?
If anyone from amazon.com or co.uk reads this board, do the company's worldwide profits some good by sending an email to france telling them to sort it out!

and chris7crows,
I found the USA listing at cinestore under 'etats unis' (which means 'united states', so you can't entirely blame them). They're a pretty good company, and sometimes have stuff that amazon don't. I don't know what their shipping charges are to the US, but to the UK they're expensive-ish but very fast and reliable.

on edit: much of this duplicated by others, as I was typing. Oh well.
Old 11-29-01, 01:43 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate the help. I'll place an order today -- really been looking forward to seeing "L'appartement" for a long time, and now that I've got a region-selectable player, it's finally possible. Next up is ordering the UK editions of the "Ring" movies...
--
Chris
Old 11-29-01, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
Cinestore have prohibitive shipping costs and their service is not that great. I only order there if they are the only ones that have the title. I prefer amazon.fr and they also have 50ff coupons around. Also, for some reason that I don't know, amazon packages seem to escape duty/brokerage charges!

Here's a coupon 50ff off 249ff

Code : AMZNLALNGHFE (source LAL)
Valeur : -50F pour 249F d'achat
Validité : Jusqu'au 31 Décembre 2001, une seule utilisation par compte Client

Last edited by eXcentris; 11-29-01 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-30-01, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by adam barker
Do Amazon.fr realise how many sales they must lose by constantly getting it wrong and saying that everything is pan and scan?
If anyone from amazon.com or co.uk reads this board, do the company's worldwide profits some good by sending an email to france telling them to sort it out!
They are also losing sales because they don't link to their French site in the IMDB. They link to the US, UK & German Amazon, but not the French one -- which is bizarre since France has far better DVD selection than Germany (& probably the UK as well).

Ted
Old 11-30-01, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by eXcentris
Cinestore have prohibitive shipping costs and their service is not that great.
Amazon's shipping is cheaper (to the US) ONLY if you order one or two DVDs at a time. For 3 it is the same as Cinestore and for 4 or more Cinestore becomes cheaper and cheaper, since they charge a flat rate.

Also Amazon claims that their standard shipping to the US (whose prices I am comparing with Cinestore) takes 10 to 12 days. No Cinestore shipment has ever taken more than 7 days to reach me.

I can't comment on the service since I have never had any problems that have required me to seek "service" from Cinestore.

Ted
Old 11-30-01, 08:11 PM

Originally posted by Ted Todorov

Amazon's shipping is cheaper (to the US) ONLY if you order one or two DVDs at a time. For 3 it is the same as Cinestore and for 4 or more Cinestore becomes cheaper and cheaper, since they charge a flat rate.
Even though Cinestore has a flat shipping rate, their DVD price appears to be about 1-3 Euros (per-disc) more than that of Amazon.fr and so the total order cost with them would come out comparable if not somewhat more. But for the speed of their shipping and their customer-service I would choose them again.