Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

One-And-Only Malata Problem Busting Thread [Part Two]

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 11-09-01, 04:02 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those already possessing a Malata and/or interested in how it functions [or, occasionally, doesn't] please feel free to continue the Q&As here although you may care to check out the original thread first: link

For those who wish to read/write about the hiatus in its supply, please use Londo's separate "Bad News" thread: here

Further to a suggestion in the Feedback Forum, in future, "One and Only" threads may be kept to a more manageable two pages before starting up a new part.

Benedict

Last edited by benedict; 03-26-02 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-11-01, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What is this DTS dropout people are talking about happening with the Malata?

I ordered mine as soon as I found out about it's existance (the R1 version), and have not had any dropouts at all. What is the DTS dropout problem people are talking about? Also, what is the subtitle problem I've heard about? Thanks.
Old 11-18-01, 01:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help concerning Human Traffic R2 & Thesis R1 DVDs & Malata DVD player

I was wondering if anyone who has these could check if you have the same problem I am experiencing. During the menus & even when playing the whole movie... the "lines" separating the black bars at the top & bottom of the picture ( meaning the section separating the black bars & the picture) wiggle up & down.

Could you check & see if the same happens when you view the menus & play the movie. I have a feeling its not the DVD thats defective, but the way the factory mastered the DVD.

Also "Thesis" Region 1 loads, but freezes up.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-18-01, 04:17 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

PAL or NTSC DVD's? What filter setting in the Malata are you using? What TV? What kind of cables and connections? What is the sharpness of your TV set at?

We need to know all that in order to help.
Old 11-19-01, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by Matt Stevens
PAL or NTSC DVD's? What filter setting in the Malata are you using? What TV? What kind of cables and connections? What is the sharpness of your TV set at?

We need to know all that in order to help.
I'm in the USA--- so NTSC I think.

I'm not sure what you mean by filter setting.

I'm using an older 61" toshiba Rear proj tv.

I just had the TV professionally calibrated- so no problem with sharpness as this is the 1st movie (R2) so ever wiggle at the bottom & top of picture.
Old 11-20-01, 09:13 AM

babka, the STILL Filter must be used for any PAL material, otherwise you get flaws like you have now. Is your TV 480p capable? If so, that helps a lot with PAL discs. Here are the settings on my Malata, hooked up to a 47" Panasonic HDTV...

USER MENU:

TV Signal System: NTSC
TV Type: 16:9
Audio Mode: 5.1
Video Mode: CVBS Y Cb Cr
Scan Type: Progressive

EXPERT MENU

Video: DAC Progressive - Y, Y Pr Pr
...........Signal Type: - 525 lines
...........Video Filter - Smart (use "Movie" for animation; Still for all "PAL" discs)

Subpicture: Always

Audio: CDDA S/PDIF BYPASS - Off
...........DECODER SETUP - DTS (you must pick this for all 5.1 signals to be passed through unchanged)

Last edited by Matt Stevens; 11-20-01 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-21-01, 04:30 PM

Matt, you're a genius! The STILL filter setting worked like a charm.

When do I use the other filter settings?
You mentioned MOVIE for Animation. Do you mean any animation like Tarzan, Disney, etc or just anime?

And should I use Movie on R1 animation DVDs as well?

Also, when do I use the other filter settings like "camera 1" & "camera 2" and "set"?

and what about R4 (Germany) & R5(Russian dvds) -- anything I should know about playing them for better pic &audio quality?

thanks
Old 11-23-01, 09:09 AM

Answer to Nosebleed (about the remote power on) and other comments

HI!
I was just reading all the posts about the Malata, and I wanted to say few things.
First, Nosebleed asked why he was unable to power on the player with the remote. It happens on all Malata players if you did power off (with the remote) the player while it was loading a disc. It is a small bug.

Then, I was really desappointed to learn that AVdeals no longer sells the unit because of many problems that the average user I am will probably never see (I never use VCDs and I don't have any Japanese disc).

I'm also wondering what will happend with the upgrade they promise for people who bought the player before the 8th. Has anyone already call AVdeals?

Thanks and sorry if my answer is not really related with the previous post.
Old 11-23-01, 12:49 PM
Mod Emeritus

Re: Answer to Nosebleed (about the remote power on) and other comments

Welcome to the forum, pioui.

You may find some information concerning AVDeals &/or alternatives to the Malata in one or both of the following threads:
Old 11-26-01, 02:12 PM

Bump for any answers to my q's
Old 11-26-01, 04:17 PM

STILL Filter for all PAL releases.

SMART filter for all NTSC films, except animation, which should be played with the MOVIE filter.

Some VHS/Tape based programming works best on Camera 1 or 2 (behind thescenes interviews on HKL DVD's for example).
Old 11-28-01, 08:59 AM

News: The new Firmware is being Beta tested right now. If all goes well, there MAY be an announcement for upgrading before the end of the year.

Fingers crossed.
Old 11-28-01, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by Matt Stevens
babka, the STILL Filter must be used for any PAL material, otherwise you get flaws like you have now. Is your TV 480p
I love it how people just throw out these type of things as if they are a certified fact. This isn't a slam on you but you seem to be passing this around as if it is a fact.

I have found that the STILL filter doesn't work very well for my South Park season 3 and 4 dvd sets and I have found that camera 1 works best for these.

If a person does not like the way a certain setting looks they should try the others and see what they like best. If one has a PAL test settings disc (do these exist) they can be less subjective and use a resolution test.
Old 11-28-01, 02:47 PM

All I know is that Matt's advice worked like a charm. No need to be so critical.
Old 11-28-01, 10:34 PM

Thankyou, babka. Personally, I think AdamGott seems to have forgotten that there are certain rules of common courtesy here. Those that know me are aware of the fact that I have answered countless questions and emails for the past three months in an effort to help newbies to this fine player. I don't mind it one bit and am working on a detailed FAQ.

I do mind the somewhat rude post.

Now, I do not have the time to list every single solitary Filter setting for every single solitary DVD released in the world. That would take days. That is why I am slowly creating the FAQ.

Many DVD's have incorrect flags and some SOUTH PARK discs are among them. For anime with incorrect flags, the MOVIE Filter might work or the Cameria 1 Filter might work.

Those are facts. They MIGHT work. OK?

It is also a FACT that PAL DVD's are supposed to be played with the Filter set to Still. That is a fact I confirmed with MALATA CANADA. But note that some discs, again, have incorrect flags, so another filter may have to be used. But 99% of the PAL material out there that is FILM based should be played via the Still Filter.

We now resume our normally cheduled programming...
Old 12-02-01, 06:30 PM

Hey, Matt

Matt,

Would these filters have anything to do with playing Mei Ah discs? I have a couple of their VCDs, and they won't even load...

Thanks in advance,

James
Old 12-02-01, 07:01 PM

Sorry, can't help you there. I don't own any VCD's. I have heard that many Mei Ah VCD's are problematic though. Wish I could help ya.
Old 12-03-01, 05:17 AM
Cool New Member

Matt,

Have you ever experienced with combing when you use the Still filter for PAL discs? I have a number of titles that show combing with the Still filter (most notably the French DVDs from MK2) so I have to switch it to Smart which produces a rather ok images with some jerky artifacts visible. Have you experienced something like this? I wonder if this has something to do with the interlaced conversion from the progressive scan output (I have an interlaced TV), or simply with the PAL-NTSC conversion.
Old 12-03-01, 12:55 PM

I get combing on non-film based PAL material, like extras from the HKL line, but switching to Camera 1 fixes that.

Many European DVD's do not have proper flags, so the filter's get confused. That is a problem that is less of a pisser on Progressive Scan players though. I have a 47" HDTV, so I rarely have any problems. The Malata Interlaced playback is good, but not great. The 480p playback is top notch.
Old 12-03-01, 08:06 PM

I finally received my Malata N996 today and it's defective Everything is pink on the screen and I tried multiple cables, tv's and DVD's. <sigh> I guess UPS battered it around because it was double-boxed but when I took the player out, I could hear something rattling on the inside. Now I have to wait even longer. Good thing I bought a JVC S62SL as a temporary player.
Old 12-03-01, 09:11 PM

Who did you buy it from?

UPS has destroyed so many packages that have been sent to me over the years. I do everything possible not to use them. So I feel your pain.
Old 12-04-01, 12:06 AM

Matt, I bought it from 220-electronics. They were very helpful on the phone. I spoke with Mike and I will be receiving a replacement. I couldn't wait any longer for the upgrade patch so I decided to just pick one up. I have 10 Hong Kong Legends DVD's and about 15 other non region 1 DVD's to watch and I refuse to watch them on my Apex. I need to start catching up Luckily, the JVC I bought (S62SL) will play Region 0 DVD's so I can watch Shiri.
Old 12-04-01, 05:09 PM

John, are you using components cables? If so, you need to change some settings in the dvd player. In the Interlace/progressive DAC, choose Y Pb Pr or you'll get a pink picture.

By the way, I ordered mine from malatacanada.com and I have the new firmware (november 2001), and it was in chinese by default! Heheehee, had to find a way to put it back in english.
Old 12-04-01, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by PhatAlbert
By the way, I ordered mine from malatacanada.com and I have the new firmware (november 2001), and it was in chinese by default! Heheehee, had to find a way to put it back in english.
WOAH! what? new firmware? Can you test it with Phantom Menace? doe sit work properly (and what's the key sequence to get it to English)???
Old 12-04-01, 07:01 PM

Firmware version is SDK1017 november 9, 2001

Ok, for Phantom Menace, it doesn't crash after the thx logo anymore.

To get the english menu:

press the setup key,
enter,
down arrow,
enter.

VOILA!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.