Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

MALATA FINALE? News and warnings

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

MALATA FINALE? News and warnings

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-01, 10:10 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
200-electronics didn't even answer my question about what to do if the player has DTS dropouts. They ignored that part and simply said the player is not the problem, which os horse monkey.

No honesty = buyer beware.
Old 11-15-01, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Argh.. JVC. I will never buy their crap again. Every time I ignore the warnings about their bad rep, I get burned anyway. My last DVD player from them died out after 2 years. The cost to fix was more than the cost of a decent Panasonic player. Sure, it lasted beyond most warranties, but how many other relatively expensive electronic components die that fast?
Old 11-16-01, 01:40 PM

Matt- did you get your JVC. I'm waiting anxiously for a review of it. I'm really wanting to get an all region player by Dec so I can get some region 2 dvd's for christmas. Please post soon!
Old 11-17-01, 10:07 AM

Still no player. Apparently there is a problem with the software. They won't give me a slightly defective player and I appreciate that because I would not be happy.

So I wait.
Old 11-23-01, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So I'm headed for Hong Kong and China in 3 days. I would really like to pick up a player that can do PAL and NTSC flawlessly, eg the Malata N996. So two questions - 1) if the firmware has been fixed, how could I tell short of bringing a Phantom Menace DVD (and I don't want to do this) 2) brief synopsis, what are the other player choices I have at this point that are 'Malata equivalent'?

I notice at http://www3.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad/DVD/index.htm, which is a cool place to hang out for electronics in HK, they have the Malata for $279US, which means I can probably find it for around $225US.
Old 11-24-01, 10:49 AM
Cool New Member

I just got back from HK this week and bought my Malata at Fortress for $225US. However it's been a nightmare. It constantly freezes and or stops and goes to the welcome sign on a variety of discs (ntsc Shrek, pal to ntsc kung fu stuff, etc.) I looked in to sending it back after not being able to contact anyone over there by phone (yes, in their time zone!). But it would cost $111.00US to ship it by fed ex. I am going to send in the warrenty card and see what happens and also try calling the Canada service center number. I'm sure it will be months before this thing is even usable or I just might have eaten over two hundred bucks.
It took hours just to set this thing up because it there was very fast scrolling on the menu that I couldn't read. After tons of experimenting, I was able to get an all green signal off of a computer monitor hooked up through the vga. then i made the settings and got a pic on my set but the freezing/resetting started.
the reason i bought this player was for the Hong Kong Legends discs, but now i am afraid of buying any even if I get the Malata fixed. This player seems like a piece of junk that can go out at any minute; then I would be stuck with a bunch of dvds i couldn't play and definately wouldn't buy another Malata.
If anyone has any similar experiences or dealings with their warrenties, words of encouragement or advice please let me know! I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks,
Dean

Last edited by skoolpsyk; 11-24-01 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-24-01, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by skoolpsyk
I just got back from HK this week and bought my Malata at Fortress for $225US. However it's been a nightmare. It constantly freezes and or stops and goes to the welcome sign on a variety of discs (ntsc Shrek, pal to ntsc kung fu stuff, etc.) I looked in to sending it back after not being able to contact anyone over there by phone (yes, in their time zone!). But it would cost $111.00US to ship it by fed ex. I am going to send in the warrenty card and see what happens and also try calling the Canada service center number. I'm sure it will be months before this thing is even usable or I just might have eaten over two hundred bucks.
It took hours just to set this thing up because it there was very fast scrolling on the menu that I couldn't read. After tons of experimenting, I was able to get an all green signal off of a computer monitor hooked up through the vga. then i made the settings and got a pic on my set but the freezing/resetting started.
the reason i bought this player was for the Hong Kong Legends discs, but now i am afraid of buying any even if I get the Malata fixed. This player seems like a piece of junk that can go out at any minute; then I would be stuck with a bunch of dvds i couldn't play and definately wouldn't buy another Malata.
If anyone has any similar experiences or dealings with their warrenties, words of encouragement or advice please let me know! I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks,
Dean
damn now you really made me depressed. I know about the various other little problems but I was willing to overlook those until now.....
Old 11-24-01, 07:33 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Yellow Hammer

damn now you really made me depressed. I know about the various other little problems but I was willing to overlook those until now.....
Yellow Hammer, I may have just an exceptionally bad unit; i'll keep you updated on how responsive they are with the warrenty. But this was more trouble than I expected!
Keep in mind some people have reported theirs to work flawlessly...
Old 11-25-01, 10:17 AM

Call Malata Canada!

Malata Canada (Jansonic)
665 Millway Ave , Unit 21
Concord Ontario
Canada, L4K 3T8
905 738 0998
Fax 905 738 4187

They should be able to take care of this for you.

I will point out that I am one of the very first two own this player and I love it and have none of the problems reported here, other than the usual (subtitles on Phantom Menace, DTS dropouts). My unit does not have power on trouble, overheating issues or any freezing, etc. and I use it daily. 8 hours in just the last two days. Thousands of hours by now.
Old 11-28-01, 07:21 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Matt Stevens
Call Malata Canada!

I called them!
They got my warranty info and said they would not honor it; they were suprised I was even given a warranty card.
They said they may be able to help me, but it would be at my cost (shipping and parts and labor).
I am going to call my credit card company to see if they can help me...
Old 11-28-01, 09:26 PM

It appears that since MALATA Canada and MALATA China are not the exact same company, that they do not have to honor the warranty. That is the risk of buying electronic devices overseas. It is VERY risky.
Old 02-20-02, 02:30 PM
Banned

Yellow Hammer,

Did you get the Malata in Hong Kong? I am thinking of buying one through goldenshop.com and would like to know. I live in Japan and need a player. AVDeals and all the rest don't ship to Japan.
Old 02-20-02, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
That Goldenshop place has a PAL to NTSC/NTSC to PAL converter for 150 bucks. It also disables macrovision... so I suppose if you have a regionless player that can output PAL (like a chipped Toshiba 2109 or a Samsung), then this box can do the rest. Many players will output a PAL signal, but won't do the conversion to NTSC. This may do the trick for someone who already has a DVD player but doesn't want the extra expense of a Malata. I've seen these converters around and I've heard that the picture results are varied. Probably equivalent to a Sampo or something.