International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Thunder Media Dvd's

Old 11-08-01, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thunder Media Dvd's

Does anyone know of an e-tailer that carries Thunder Media Dvd's besides HKFlix. I'm looking to get Once Upon A Time In China and America because the damn China Star version I just got is cropped to 1.85:1. And the Thunder Media version is the only Dvd version to carry the OAR at 2.35:1. HKFlix has OUATIC&A for $24, but I don't wanna break the bank knowing that those Thunder Media discs street at $200NT ($6) tops. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-08-01, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
www.pokerindustries.com

But their prices will be similar. I think I paid 17 bucks for OUATICA... lemme go through my reciepts.
Old 11-08-01, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah - I picked it up at Poker for 15.99

I also have the China Star disc and the problem I had with that was the subtitles were delayed by 10 seconds and it made it hard to follow.
Old 11-08-01, 09:34 PM

I'm banking on it being out of print. Pokerindustries doesn't have an add to cart thumbnail and I was in Taiwan over the summer and couldn't find this disc for the life of me. I guess I'm just stuck with my 1.85:1 OUATIC&A.
Old 11-08-01, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

fivestarlaser has OUATIC&A on DVD for 23 bucks but it says it's by Media Asia. ?? Probably a misprint?

A visit to the asiandvdguide revealed that the Thakral disc is also the incorrect aspect ratio along with the 5 out of 6 different DVD versions that exist. It says nothing about the Thunder Media DVD WRT the aspect ratio. I don't recall what it is... I did like this film though and it's worth getting. I might get rid of the China Star DVD except that the transfer is so good.

www.dvdgo.com has a region 2 PAL version for sale that I've never seen or heard of before - it's not listed in the asiandvdguide. The transfer is 2.35:1 and the sound is english stereo or spanish mono with spanish subtitles.

So that leaves us with hkflix... perhaps if you wrote them an email asking to come down a little in price because Pokerindustries lists it at 15.99 they might come down a little - but the guy who runs it visits this forum and posts here so I imagine he knows the item is OOP. Good luck - it's certainly a good DVD.
Old 11-09-01, 01:18 AM

The Thundermedia version has been out of stock due to problems getting them from Taiwan. I suspect that's why Poker has removed it from their site. HKFlix has been backordered on it for a couple weeks at least. It is 2.35:1 (OAR, I believe) and is pretty expensive for us to get when we can get it, hence the higher than usual pricetag. I hope that information helps a little...