Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Would you be opposed to...

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 10-15-01, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the majority of HK action movies are brought over to the states and cleaned up visually and "tightened up" on the editting side by hollywood studios? It seems that a lot of the weaknesses of HK films are the editting and the CGI.
Given the reviews of Iron Monkey rerelease (besides messing with the original music and changed the subtitles - but the FX were better) but let's say the director of the film helped supervise the project. Would this make great HK movies better?

Last edited by B4Bishop; 10-15-01 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-15-01, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Absolutely under no condition should any film be edited/tweaked from its original theatrical format.

A "Director's Cut" I can live with, but editing the content because they feel the film needs to be "tightened up" or because the CGI/editing isn't up to Hollywood standards is out of the question (IMHO).

And besides, who's to judge if these changes are "better" or "worse"?? Best to just leave well enough alone!

Cheers,

-matt
Old 10-15-01, 05:46 PM

Well, what about removing wires, or restoring the print, or digitizing the sound track, making exposions look more full, or gun shots more realistic? I'm not talking major over-hauls just minor nips and tucks

Take DM2 for instance. If they had left it in it's original lauguage but kept the restored print and just reprocessed the sound track. The movie would have made for a better experience. Am I wrong?Everyone loves the restored print but they hate the dub.
Old 10-16-01, 12:37 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I've got to agree with raithen here. A film should not be toyed around with to make a few more bucks on the CTHD-bandwagon. I haven't seen Iron Monkey in the theatre, the DVD will do just fine, so i can't give first-hand reaction, but still, i think a picture's original release (aside from the fore-mentioned Director's Cut, which is another bag all together) helps to document the history of movie-making. Lest we forget, this is Disney controlling the strings here. What if every film was brought up to-date with tweeking and tightening? I think we'd loose a valuable piece of movie heritage. The question no one seems to ask themselves anymore is "Just because it can be done, does it mean it should be done?"

As for explosions and gun-shots, I'll stand by this to the day I die: I'll take a real explosion that may not look as pretty over a CGI everytime because it just doesn't look "real", it doesn't occupy real space, just a computer's X-Y-Z axis . Semi-off topic, but that goes for puppets and miniatures over CGI critters and castles, too.