Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

CDNow (apparently) ships a title from an order separately for no extra cost!

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 10-13-01, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few weeks ago I placed an order for Häxan (CC), The Ruling Class (CC) and Monty Python And The Holy Grail (SE) at CDNow. The total shipping to Europe came to $7.20, and I assumed all titles would be shipped at the same time.

As it turns out, Häxan has already shipped. I noticed that in the invoice, CDNow charged me the $7.20 with the first shipment; does this mean that I'll be charged this $7.20 for all the DVDs in my order, or was it just applied to the first shipped title?

If this isn't a screw-up on CDNow's part, kudos to them for not making me wait until Oct. 30th.
Old 10-13-01, 01:04 PM

CDNOW always charges all the shipping costs for the first shipment of the first released title(s), usually shipped on the friday before the official releasedate, so with the second (and last shipment) there are no more shipping costs.

Last edited by Robbert; 10-13-01 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-13-01, 01:13 PM

Good to know, thanks. Reminds me of reel.com; they used to do this too at no extra cost.
Old 10-14-01, 06:41 AM

Just a warning: CDNOW always puts the full(or almost full) amount of the order on their invoices and on the outside of the package, not the (discount)amount that is stated on the e-mail they send when they ship.
Shipping to Holland goes trough Germany(you get a German stamp on the package), so usually customs do not tax you.
When they do they use the amount stated on the package which is about 20-30 % too high.
So be warned and issue a formal complaint!
Good luck.
Old 10-14-01, 10:41 AM

My order contains three DVDs and is about $72 all in all. I used a 15% off discount when ordering.

Do you think the total amount of the whole order will be written on the package, or just the price of the title contained in the package (perhaps without the 15% discount)?
Old 10-15-01, 12:19 PM

The total amount of the titles in the package will be written on the outside of the package and on the invoice inside the package.

Another tip: never order more than 3 titles. About 4 months ago I put in 3 large orders shipped by UPS.That was a big mistake:UPS charges tax and extra costs based on the amount stated on the invoice and the weight of the package, which came to around 40% of the real (discount)amount .
After faxing them CDNOW's e-mail with the right amount,they lowered their bill but still it was higher than the normal 19% as is usual in Holland.
With the 2nd and 3rd packages they did not accept my complaints, after weeks of discussions with them and CDNOW, the packages were sent back to the USA.
Until last month UPS still were sending me bills for the return shipping, which was already paid by CDNOW !
In the end, after a lot of faxes and phonecalls, the problems were solved but it caused a lot of aggrevation.
So beware!
Except for the problem with the amount on the package and invoice, I have found CDNOW a reliable seller, in the 2 years that I used them, only 1 package went missing (I got a replacement).
Shipping time is usually between 10-15 days.
Good luck.
Old 10-16-01, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by Robbert
Another tip: never order more than 3 titles. About 4 months ago I put in 3 large orders shipped by UPS.That was a big mistake:UPS charges tax and extra costs based on the amount stated on the invoice and the weight of the package, which came to around 40% of the real (discount)amount .
Are you talking about customs fees here? Or is UPS a special shipping method?
Old 10-17-01, 12:32 PM

UPS=United Postal Service is used by CDNOW for a speedy delivery,usually in 2 days your order will be delivered at your door.
UPS is entitled to charge custom fees,probably so they can deliver very fast.