Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

My first HK DVD purchase!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-01, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After watching, and recording, The Storm Riders off of Starz I have become hooked on HK sword play/fantasy flicks. So I started researching to see what other films are like Storm Riders. I found A Man Called Hero, & The Duel were directed by the same man who directed Storm Riders. So today I went to Best Buy and purchased the SE edition DVD of The Duel since there were a lot of positive reviews of it. I have to say that the film was good. I expected more fighting though.

I've made a list of possible DVDs to get in the near future. Could some of you tell me which have a lot of action in them?

Bichunmoo
Legend Of Zu
Blade Of Fury
A Called Hero

I like all of the S/FX of Storm Riders/The Duel. But I also like graphic violence and lots of action.
Old 10-12-01, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
GET DRIVE REGION 2 DIRECTORs CUT!!

MAN I was just blown away by this movie, no swords and fantasy stuff really just a kick butt action movie that makes the stuff in the Matrix look like kids stuff. It is an incredible movie, you will not be disappointed in it. Many on this site have raved about it but make sure you get the director cut!! It has lots of extras also!!!

mseg

Drive the Director Cut-----------

BIG
Old 10-12-01, 11:11 PM

Hey! Welcome!

Try this place for reviews... there are categories for Swordplay movies and Action movies as well as others...
KFCCinema

also try this site: Love&Bullets

I have seen and would recommend:
In the Action category-
-Shiri (it's a Korean movie)
-Hit Team
-Purple Storm
-Gen X Cops
-Tokyo Raiders
-Time and Tide

Hmm, other than the swordplay titles you listed, I don't think I've seen any others except for CTHD (crouching tiger,hidden dragon). There are other great movies with excellent sword fighting scenes in them though... like Twin Warriors and Fong Sai Yuk 1 & 2 both with Jet Li.

Note: I have no affiliations with either site I linked to above. I merely find them good primers on the subject matter.

Cheers & have a nice weekend!
Gabe
Old 10-12-01, 11:36 PM

I'll second d2cheer's recommendation of the R2 Drive DVD. I'll also mention that A Man Called Hero is really not very good. In addition I'd recommend:

[b]Hot War (poor story but great action)
Legend of the Wolf
The Blade (only on R2)
Wild Zero (R2)
Battle Royale (R3)
The Seventh Curse
Dobermann (French movie - UK R2 is subbed and widescreen)
Junk (due late Oct. in Germany w/subs)

I can probably come up with a hundred more but these will get you started.
Old 10-12-01, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys, I would hesitate to recommend PAL or non-region 1 DVDs to a new member. CK502, if you're not familiar with these terms please check out this thread.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Old 10-13-01, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Where is the best place to order DRIVE R2 Director's cut?
Old 10-13-01, 02:20 PM

Yes i know what PAL is and all of that region encoding stuff. I have an Apex 660 that will soon be region free when I get the new chip for it.

Also I saw part of a cool looking movie on Showtime once. I can't remember if it was called The Blade or Blade Of Fury. All I know is that in the beginning there was a fight where this guy jumped in the air a cut all these soldiers's heads off. If anyone can clarify this a bit more I'd appreciate it. The guy had a haircut like the one's off of CTHD.
Old 10-13-01, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally posted by Edison
Where is the best place to order DRIVE R2 Director's cut?

Got it in less than a week from here!!

http://www.blackstar.co.uk/

They are one of the best places for Region 2 DVD's. They also have Return of The Living Dead for about $20 US shipped!!
Old 10-13-01, 09:39 PM

Originally posted by d2cheer

Got it in less than a week from here!!

http://www.blackstar.co.uk/

They are one of the best places for Region 2 DVD's. They also have Return of The Living Dead for about $20 US shipped!!
I used to order from Blackstar all the time. They really do have great customer service but I found that Benson's World is a lot cheaper and has free shipping.

Drive is available for £15.99 shipped here: http://www.bensonsworld.co.uk/detail...=7000000056025

It's £19.99 shipped from Blackstar (I'm in the US) and it arrives as fast from Benson's World.
Old 10-13-01, 10:50 PM

under18.org.uk are having a HKL sale at the moment.
You can get Drive -Directors Cut for £9.89 and they have free shipping.
I haven't used them before but maybe other forum members can tell you if they have good service and shipping times.
Old 10-13-01, 11:33 PM

I've never used Under18 but there are enough horror stories on this thread to keep me away: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ht=under18.org