Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Returning DVDs to Hong Kong

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-01, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just discovered that one of the DVDs I recently ordered from Hivizone is defective and so I now have to send it back to Hong Kong for a replacement. I'm assuming that responsibility for paying return shipping of the item is up to me -- even though that really doesn't seem fair, and pretty much destroys any sort of "bargain" I thought I was getting with this order. Has anyone had experience with this sort of problem? For that matter, any suggestions on the cheapest/best way to send this baby back to Hong Kong from the states? Thanks!
Old 10-11-01, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if Hivizone is willing to accept back only the disc (and not the case), then the shipping is actually pretty cheap. To send a disc back to HK in an unpadded envelope by first class mail costs under $1 and takes a week.
Old 10-12-01, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I sent a scratched DVD back to DDDhouse right after the tragedy in NYC. It took a week longer but it costed me about 3 something for the envelope and the shipping. I only had to send the DVD. I just got a conformation that they have sent the replacement disc in the mail. Hope this helps!
Old 10-12-01, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So the way to go is padded envelope and first class mail (is it actually still called first class mail whne it's going overseas?)? I can live with a buck or two, but when I called the post office they told me the lowest rate would probably be more like $6 or $7. One more question, this one for you, Yellow Hammer: by "case" I assume you're talking about the actual plastic case that houses the DVD? And would this really make such a weight/price difference with the shipping? Thanks again for your time and insights.
Old 10-12-01, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The post office was quoting you a more expensive method, what you want is Airmail Letter-Post. A single DVD plus a standard envelope definitely weighs less that 2 oz., which would run you $1.55.
Old 10-12-01, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yes, the DVD plastic case makes a big difference not only in the weight, but by the dimensions by eliminating the cheaper 6"x10" Global Priority Mail option. Believe it or not, an unpadded envelope and a single disc is under 1 oz, so the cost from the U.S. to HK would be 80 cents. At least that's what I paid the one time I sent a DVD back to DDDHouse.

rates in US dollars
Airmail Letter-Post from US to HK (known as first-class mail to some):
1 oz - $.80
2 oz - $1.55
3 oz - $2.30
4 oz - $3.05
5 oz - $3.80
6 oz - $4.55

Surface Letter-Post from US to HK:
< 1 lb - $4.95

Global Priority Mail (small envelope - 6" x 10") - $5 up to 4 lbs.

Global Priority Mail (larger envelope - 9.5" x 12.5") - $9 up to 4 lbs.

To me, you shouldn't have to pay more than $5 for shipping to HK. Any more and it's not worth it IMO.

If you (or Hivizone) is concerned about the DVD being scratched up, I would wrap it with tissue paper or put it in a DVD mailer, which would not add much to the weight. Not sure how much extra weight a padded envelope would be.
Old 10-12-01, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does Hivizone actually want the disc back? I've never dealt with them, but I have had disc issues with other companies and they've always told me not to bother sending the disc back, they'll just send a replacement. Too much trouble, supposedly.