Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Full Time Killer DVD review

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-01, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Full Time Killer DVD
released by Deltamac
catalog: DVD88033
format: NTSC
Letterbox (non 16:9 enhanced)
All Region
DVD-9

Let's start from the beginning...

The package is gorgeous!
It is a clear (transparent) white case, and the cover itself is also see-thru! Normally, we have a printed paper sleeve, but this uses a clear plastic sleeve, with the cover art and text printed on it. Very nicely done....

There 3 covers available:
one for DVD and two for VCD
The VCD has a normal version, and a special version, and the cover is shown on www.asiandvdguide.com's front page. I do not know what is on the special version VCD, but the cover looks great!

The DVD menu is great too!
It has an intro with text from the web site (www.fulltimekiller.cc), and the menu is nicely animated with music from the movie playing in the background.
Four options are available:
Play Movie, Language & Subtitles , Chapters and Special Features
Audio is DTS Cantonese and Mandarin and DD 5.1 Cantonese and Mandarin.
12 chapters, with mini animated clips playing in it's window.
Removable Subtitles are for English and Chinese.
Special Features include: Behind The Scenes (very cool), Trailer, Photo Gallery (frames from the movie), Making Of (very good!), Director & Cast Information. All these features have no English Subtitles!!

The Movie itself:
When the movie starts, it plays either the Dolby Digital or DTS intro, depending on the soundtrack that is choosen
The Cantonese soundtrack is the original, including the Japanese and English languages spoken throughout the movie.
The Mandarin is completely dubbed, removing the Japanese and English dialogues.

BAD NEWS:
For a movie this new, the amount of white speckles, even thought they are tiny, is unacceptable.

The image looks decent, and colours seem to be well saturated, except for terrible RED TINT covering almost the whole movie!!! Most scenes are affected, but some are fine.
Night scenes are not as noticeable, but daylight and bright scenes are all terrible looking, due to the red tint. It seems to get better pass the halfway mark, but is inconsistent.
Whoever did the colour mastering royally screwed up!!!

Bitrate is quite high, ranging from 3.5 MBit to 7.5MBit. Most of it is between 4MBit and 7MBit.
Even though the compression rate is high, the image does not look as clear as it should. There is something not right... the image looks somewhat muddled, but not... I can't explain it!

Overall, the content is great, but the colour mastering is terrible! I have read that this DVD is out of stock on the Asian Online stores. Maybe they got recalled, and a remastering is being done... who knows??

One on side, I am very happy to have this movie, while on the other, I am very dissapointed with the image problems. Make what you will of it...

Images here

J.T.

Last edited by jtkv; 09-28-01 at 09:21 PM.