Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

I just ordered...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-01, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just ordered...

Drive, In The Line Of Duty and Police Story.

I read the reviews of Drive and ITLOD but I would like some comments from the visitors of DVD Talk about how these movies are.

Thanks
Old 09-20-01, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally watched Drive the other night. I think the fight choreography was really good, especially for a hollywood film, but I didn't find much of the dialogue that funny. Brittany Murphy's character was a hoot, though. I'll give it another shot sometime to see if it grows on me.
Old 09-20-01, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still haven't gotten around to seeing In the Line of Duty yet but I love Drive. Mark Dacascos is one of the most talented martial artists in film and Drive really gave him the opportunity to shine. The set pieces are about the best I've ever seen in a western film and stand up there with some of the best out of Hong Kong. The story is barely passable but the UK DVD adds back in some important elements and restores the original music. In the end I'd say that Drive is the best Hong Kong martial arts movie that Hong Kong never made.
Old 09-20-01, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks guys. I'm excited about ITLOD but am really looking forward to Drive as well. Still, I have a feeling it might be like one of those cheesy direct-to-video action/kung fu movies.

carnifern, I noticed you have a Guitar Wolf quote in your sig. Do you have the Wild Zero DVD? If so, what's the quality of the picture/sound/movie and where did you get it from?

Thanks,
Chest Rockwell
Old 09-20-01, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Drive kicks ass - it was the DVD that got me to sign up to DVDTalk so I could post a question about it. The US version (which I got for 4 bucks back in the reel.com days) is cut alot, but the HKL region 2 version is complete and has a commentary and other extras. It's sweet. The film just rules - it's one of those hidden gems. Marc Dacascos is awesome in it.
Old 09-20-01, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Drive kicks ass - it was the DVD that got me to sign up to DVDTalk so I could post a question about it. The US version (which I got for 4 bucks back in the reel.com days) is cut alot, but the HKL region 2 version is complete and has a commentary and other extras. It's sweet. The film just rules - it's one of those hidden gems. Marc Dacascos is awesome in it.
Can't wait! I got the HKL R2 so I'll be seeing the good version of it.
Old 09-21-01, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Chest Rockwell

Can't wait! I got the HKL R2 so I'll be seeing the good version of it.
Good - the R1 version is also P&S. I got my Toshiba DVD player chipped so I could watch my one other region film (Drive R2) - only to find out later about PAL and NTSC and whatnot - I was pissed. That's ok though - cuz I'm getting a Malata and I'll be able to watch it on my bigscreen.
Old 10-12-01, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Drive IS Fantastic!!!

Just got done watching the Directors Cut of it and must say I was completely blown away. What a great movie!! Man someone missed the boat when they didn't release this movie to the theaters.

All the extra's are really interesting and really complement the movie.

BTW anyone know where to get the 2 DVD set of Crying Freeman??? Besides ebay that is...

I will tell you without this form I would have never even considered this movie... I saw the cover for the Region 1 DVD and thought what a cheesy movie, but after listening to everyone here I just had to check it out. Man am I glad I did!!

mseg
Old 10-12-01, 11:25 PM

Re: Drive IS Fantastic!!!

Originally posted by d2cheer
Just got done watching the Directors Cut of it and must say I was completely blown away. What a great movie!! Man someone missed the boat when they didn't release this movie to the theaters.

All the extra's are really interesting and really complement the movie.

BTW anyone know where to get the 2 DVD set of Crying Freeman??? Besides ebay that is...

I will tell you without this form I would have never even considered this movie... I saw the cover for the Region 1 DVD and thought what a cheesy movie, but after listening to everyone here I just had to check it out. Man am I glad I did!!

mseg
I picked my Crying Freeman up at www.amazon.fr . I think it came out to 32 bucks. Don't expect Drive like fights though since there are'nt that many or as well done ones.
Old 10-13-01, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm glad I got it too. I watched it with a friend and we both really enjoyed it. My fav part was the scene with the chainsaw. Awesome fight scenes! We did a double bill of this and ITLOD and were quite happy with both.
Old 10-13-01, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

China Strike Force also has Marc Dacascos in it as a bad guy - Coolio is in it too. It's got tons of action and... well, I believe I did a review of it a month or so ago right here on this forum. You'll find it if you do a search.
Old 10-13-01, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah - and I recently got Crying Freeman 2 disc - it's kinda neat, but I haven't watched the entire film yet. Terrible 3rd rate actors (Rae Dawn Chong??) ugh - Anyway - it has had a few decent moments so far, but I am starting to feel like I wasted 32 bucks - we'll see - I have yet to finish it at some point.