Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVDs from France with English subtitles

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-01, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that I have the Malata DVD player and I've stocked up on British war films purchased at Blackstar; it's time to look into movies from France. Does anyone know of a good website other than Amazon. Fr? I don't speak French so I need movies with sous-titres(subtitles) in Anglais(English). Is there a current list anyone knows of? I'm partial to cape & epee, peplum, war, police thrillers, etc.
Old 08-31-01, 05:17 PM

I'm sorry I don't know of any off the top of my head, but when I can't figure out at least roughly what European sites are saying, I paste the text at www.freetranslation.com for a quick (sometimes rough) english translation.

It also suffices for the confirmation/shipping emails they send.
Old 08-31-01, 08:03 PM

I have found a few websites that will translate entire web pages and will even allow some basic web navigation. I posted a topic about this a few days ago but if you can't find it go to

http://www.translate-free.com/
Old 09-01-01, 09:59 PM

I've noticed that French vendors don't always list in their item descriptions when English subs are available or if the tranfer is anamorphic or not. DVDfr.com is an invaluable resource which lists subtitle availability, aspect ratios, extras, etc. The site is in French, but it's very easy for non-French speakers to navigate.
Old 09-04-01, 04:07 AM

Two must-buys are "Jean de Florette" and "Monon des Sources". Great movies, and wonderful anamorphic transfers compared to the butchering done by MGM in R1.

I've seen it at dvd.fr, but a cheaper place is some online UK place whose name starts with bensons (dont remember the name right now, u can search the forums here).
Old 09-05-01, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 185 Likes on 152 Posts
DVDfr.com is an invaluable resource
Indeed it is, and I order from the site that it points to -- www.cinestore.com it has an excellent selection and also has subtitle info & other info.

The one thing that I have never been able to figure out though is how to only list the French films -- unless one is looking for a specific title, you have to plow through endless US imports to get to the French stuff.

The other bummer is that the imdb.com lists availability in the US, UK & Germany but not in France.

Ted

Last edited by Ted Todorov; 09-05-01 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-05-01, 03:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I visited DVD.fr for the first time following this thread.

I noticed that for a bunch of Francois Truffaut movies, like 400 blows, they did not list english subtitles, but in other threads I have read that the films do actually have them!

I sincerely hope dvd.fr is wrong on this!

Bleddyn
Old 09-05-01, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Bleddyn Williams
I visited DVD.fr for the first time following this thread.

I noticed that for a bunch of Francois Truffaut movies, like 400 blows, they did not list english subtitles, but in other threads I have read that the films do actually have them!

I sincerely hope dvd.fr is wrong on this!

Bleddyn
Unfortunately it is probably true. MK2 (the studio just released a Chabrol box without subtitles). The first Truffaut box does have subtitles (even on commentary tracks and such) the 3rd Truffaut box (2 movies) supposedly (according to cinestore.com) does also. But all indications are that box #2, the Adventures of Antione Doinel that includes the 400 Blows has no subtitles.

Ted
Old 09-05-01, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by chaver
I've seen it at dvd.fr, but a cheaper place is some online UK place whose name starts with bensons (dont remember the name right now, u can search the forums here).
http://www.bensonsworld.co.uk/

They are excellent service!
Old 09-05-01, 09:47 PM

Unfortunately it is probably true. MK2 (the studio just released a Chabrol box without subtitles). The first Truffaut box does have subtitles (even on commentary tracks and such) the 3rd Truffaut box (2 movies) supposedly (according to cinestore.com) does also. But all indications are that box #2, the Adventures of Antione Doinel that includes the 400 Blows has no subtitles.

Ted
As I preordered this based on what I read elsewhere, I'm obviously a bit concerned about this, as I definitely need the subtitles. I went and rechecked what I had read. According to the folk over at dvdtimes.co.uk english subtitles are on the FILMS in the Doinel box, just not on everything, like the first set. What supports this is if you go to musicbox.fr and look up the Doinel films - there is a link to see menu shots for each one, and they all have a "The film with english subtitles" option.

Unless those menu shots are no longer current, it looks good for the subtitles..... I hope!

Bleddyn
Old 09-06-01, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Bleddyn Williams

... I went and rechecked what I had read. According to the folk over at dvdtimes.co.uk english subtitles are on the FILMS in the Doinel box, just not on everything, like the first set. What supports this is if you go to musicbox.fr and look up the Doinel films - there is a link to see menu shots for each one, and they all have a "The film with english subtitles" option.

Unless those menu shots are no longer current, it looks good for the subtitles..... I hope!

Bleddyn
Bleddyn,

This is great news – I went to www.musicbox.fr and I seriously doubt that someone went around doctoring menus in Photoshop and considering that they have them in stock it is a little late for MK2 to pull the subtitles. (Ironically their own info contradicts the menus – musicbox claims an English dub with French subtitles, which I can see came from the very ambiguous info on the back of the DVD box). Thanks for the pointer!

I have a couple of questions: have you ordered from musicbox and if so, how is their service? Do they subtract the ~20% TVA when they ship to the US?
Where exactly was the Truffaut info on the www.dvdtimes.co.uk site? I couldn’t find it.

Thanks a bunch,
Ted
Old 09-06-01, 11:07 AM

Hi Ted. Glad the news cheered you, and also that you don't know anything newer that proves it wrong!

As opposed to ordering from music box, I can't provide any info. I only got my Malata player a while ago, and have ordered from the UK and just from Australia.

I have the Doinel box preordered from amazon.fr, and they do make a subtraction from the price when you order there!

Amazon might be a safe choice for this box, but at this point I don't have any real knowledge of the other french vendors.

The thread you asked about, due to their software, I don't think I can provide a direct link, but if you follow this path in the forums, you'll strike gold...

The DVD Forums > DVD Discussion > DVD & Movie Forum > Truffaut et Chabrol

Bleddyn
Old 09-07-01, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about Jeunet's DELICATESSEN? Anybody have a clue if the new French DVD edition has English subs?