Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

HK flix you had no expectations for but turned out to be solid flicks

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-01, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has this ever happened to anyone else ?? You order a bunch of flicks from hivizone or dddhouse....you add some filler choices just so you can sleep at night with the shipping charges....you have no expectations for some of the "filler" flicks you choose (except that they may suck), and when you watch them you enjoy them more than hte ones you really wanted to order.

Mine include:

Blacksheep Affair...read reviews saying it was mediocre at best. I really enjoyed this flick...great mix of gun-play and kung-fu sequences.

Hero....again mediocre reviews...got it because of Yuen Biao...thought it was great....some cool sets, decent story, and some surprisingly good action choreography....good twists and turns in the plot.

2000 A.D. : not so much a movie that got slammed, but there are mixed reviews (although more good ones than bad ones). I personally had no expectations for it, but it turned out to be a great action flick.

Kung-fu Cult Master: expected it to be some over-done wire-fu wuxia flick....not a big fan of Sammo later fight choreography (although his odler stuff like Prodigal Son, Victim and Warriors Two is un-surpassed) where he goes nuts on wires. Was pleasnatly surprised...one of hte few straight-up wuxia fantasy flicks I actually enjoyed.

Then of course there is the flip side. MOveis you ordered that you had high expectations for, that dis-appointed you. My votes go for:

Time and Tide: sure the action sequences were great, but the lame first half of the film, and un-interesting characters / story ruined it for me.

Swordsmen II: Read all this hype about it. Bought and was majorly disappointed. Fight choreograhpy was all just flashy edits. Story was pretty lame I thought.

Once a Thief: Chow Yun-Fat...John Woo....gauranteed classic I thought. Instead the movie was too much cheesy comedy and the action sequences were only mediocre I thought.

Gen-Y Cops: Really enjoyed the first one...this second one was just plain bad...especially that crap with the robot....

Uhh....my lunch break is over...time to get back to work....anyone else got any ??
Old 08-27-01, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this one's more on the future, but there's one that I've never heard of called From the Queen To The Chief Executive that just came out, which has an excellent review in Kowloonside.com.

Since I follow the HK movie goings-on pretty closely for quite a few years now I generally know most movies that come out with any kind of box office. However, to answer your questions, here are a few of movies that are great that were 'unknown' when it came out:

Bakery Amour
Too Many Ways To Be No. 1
The Odd One Dies
Kitchen
Longest Summer

p.s. I just noticed while looking at the DDDHouse list that the movie The First Time Is The Last Time somehow is now on DVD. This is one hell of a good movie from the late 80's.
Old 08-28-01, 05:37 AM

I think my biggest "far exceeded expectations" HK flick was Bio-Zombie. I just thought it would be complete garbage, but it was really fun and had some style to it, and funny comedy and good acting. Plus an alternate ending...a rare treat for a low-budg HK flick.