Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Malata N996 vs. Skyworth 1050 (comparisons wanted!)

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-01, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if this is necessarily the correct forum for this question, but I'm dying to get my hands on a region free player and I've narrowed it down to the players in the subject line. Price and warranty aren't issues (the Malata offers a 12 month warranty but is slightly more expensive - no big deal).

The Malata offers PAL->NTSC conversion (something the Skyworth does not), but the Skyworth offers better error correction and deinterlacing. I've read that the Skyworth would probably be a better player for anime discs (which is a plus for me, as I have way too many! ) but I'd like to hear some reviews of anime played on the Malata.

Anyway, any help/reviews/comments would be much appreciated!

Cheers+thanks!

-matt
Old 08-16-01, 11:49 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

The skyworth has a crippling problem: Y/C delay, which makes the component outputs useless. Unlss you have VGA input on your HDTV, you are ship out of port.
Old 08-16-01, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Matt Stevens
The skyworth has a crippling problem: Y/C delay, which makes the component outputs useless. Unlss you have VGA input on your HDTV, you are ship out of port.
Sorry I have to disagree. The Malta is not the uberplayer for all uses as some would like us to think.

The Skyworth is the way to go for anime if you have a progressive display. Since he is watching mostly anime, most of which is interlaced, the Skyworth is a better choice because of its superior de-interlacing ability.

As for the Malta's PAL ability, very little anime is released in the PAL format. It's mostly NTSC.

Here is a detailed review on the Skyworth as an anime player from Chris Beveridge, the owner of Animeondvd:

http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews/ha...orth_1050p.htm

Check this discussion from the avsforum on the Skyworth v Malta for anime. The nod goes to the Skyworth:

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/003972.html

Also check out the hardware forum at AoD: http://www.animeondvd.com/cgi-bin/dc...conf=DCConfID2

People there own both the Skyworth, Malta and the new Phillips. You can read several threads about both players. Feel free to repost your question there, as they are a great group with a lot of knowlege.

Last edited by nekobus; 08-16-01 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-16-01, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by nekobus
People there own both the Skyworth, Malta and the new Phillips. You can read several threads about both players. Feel free to repost your question there, as they are a great group with a lot of knowlege.
nekobus: I had actually written this thread with knowledge completely derived from the avsforum and Chris Beveridge's review on AoD. A friend of mine actually had a conversation with Chris at Otakon this past weekend about the Skyworth player and Mr. Beveridge had nothing but glowing reviews for it.

Even though I had already checked out the links previously, thanks for taking the time to reply! Much appreciated!

Matt: I had read about a capacitor problem with the Skyworth, is that part and parcel with the Y/C delay bug? Apparently there is a fix for the capacitor issue but if this is an entirely separate issue thanks for the info!

Currently I have a 27" Sony WEGA (with the Anamorphic squeeze option). I wanted to upgrade to an HDTV set but that will have to wait a couple of years. Suffice it to say, I don't have any sets with a VGA input.

I suppose I shouldn't be worrying too much about progressive video, but the player is an investment and I'm attempting to future proof my home theatre system.

Anyway, I've read quite a few posts from you on the Malata and it sounds like a solid DVD player. I don't suppose you have checked out any anime titles using the N996? If the output of anime isn't too great I may have to go for the Skyworth.

Thanks both!

-matt
Old 08-16-01, 10:36 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

THE PROBLEM WITH THE sKYWORTH IS THAT UNLESS YOU HAVE vga, YOU NEED TO BUY THE sKYWORTH, THEN fIX IT! (whoops, sorry about caps).

Unless you are OK with that, it's a problem.

Anime looks fantastic on my Malata. Much better than my Toshiba SD1600 and the SD-5109.
Old 08-16-01, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by raithen
Currently I have a 27" Sony WEGA (with the Anamorphic squeeze option). I wanted to upgrade to an HDTV set but that will have to wait a couple of years. Suffice it to say, I don't have any sets with a VGA input.

I suppose I shouldn't be worrying too much about progressive video, but the player is an investment and I'm attempting to future proof my home theatre system.
Glad to know that you've been hiting all the good sites.

The most recent batch of Skyworths has the capacitor problem fixed.

To be perfectly honest, even though you are trying to future proof, the technology changes pretty fast and in a couple of years there will be even better players for less money.

For now you might want to consider another player because you don't have a progressive display. Have you looked at the getting a code-free Pioneer DV-343? These are great players if you don't need progressive and play NTSC discs. They are also less moola and have a well established track record.
Old 08-17-01, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 363 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally posted by nekobus
For now you might want to consider another player because you don't have a progressive display. Have you looked at the getting a code-free Pioneer DV-343? These are great players if you don't need progressive and play NTSC discs. They are also less moola and have a well established track record.
How much are the region free Pioneer DV-343's going for and where can I get one?

<v>Kahuna
Old 08-17-01, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by kahuna

How much are the region free Pioneer DV-343's going for and where can I get one?

<v>Kahuna
http://www.mindlogic.com/Prod_MSDVD.shtml

www.dvdcity.com

Both sell them, Mindlogic is cheaper at $275.It's an excellent player.

You can read reviews of the player at www.vcdhelp.com and www.audioreview.com.