Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Fist of Legend UNCUT Quick Question.

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-01, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, after seeing the Fist of Legend Uncut Version (Taiwan) promoted here @ DVDTalk, I decided to pick one up on Ebay.

Now, the person had over 3000 feedback and boasted that it was a factory sealed dvd.

Now...my question is to the people that bought it from that company that was advertised here @ DVDtalk.

Was the dvd factory sealed like American DVDs? Or was it different? Mine came in a baggy with a seal on top...doesn't look like "factory sealed".

Also, was there a insert/booklet? All that was inside of mine was the DVD.

I'm not very familiar with Asian DVDs, so any help would be appreciated.

I just want to know if I got the "real deal" or a cheap knockoff.
Old 08-05-01, 12:04 AM
Banned

that wasn't a very quick question
Old 08-05-01, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Originally posted by clumsysquirrel
lol
Old 08-05-01, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In my experience, asian DVDs don't usually have inserts. And the cases aren't usually shrinkwrapped, but rather in a kind of sealed bag thing.

Anyway, as for Fist of Legend, I'll wait for the original, Cantonese/Japanese version.
Old 08-05-01, 12:35 AM

lol...

Well, it was quick in my head...but I didn't want to be short with you guys.

Originally posted by Crazy Aoshi
In my experience, asian DVDs don't usually have inserts. And the cases aren't usually shrinkwrapped, but rather in a kind of sealed bag thing.

Anyway, as for Fist of Legend, I'll wait for the original, Cantonese/Japanese version.
Thanks...just what I was looking for. =)

But there is gonna be another version? Doh! How many versions are there now? And how many will there be..?
Old 08-05-01, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh.. I guess you're gonna get the VHS or LD then..

Here's a pisser for everyone. Since Miramax (I think) got the rights to New Legend of Shaolin, all show prints were recently recalled and destroyed
Old 08-05-01, 06:03 AM

Your going to be waiting a long time. I still think the Mandarin version is the best bet.
Old 08-05-01, 11:09 AM

I bought the FIST OF LEGEND DVD through the DVDTALK deal with HKFLIX.com. When I received it the DVD was not sealed in any manner and did not have any inserts.
Mike
Old 08-05-01, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't care how long I have to wait for the version with the (more or less) original languages of Cantonese/Japanese. I see no point in buying a version I wouldn't be happy with. It might as well be dubbed in Latin, for me, no matter where the movie comes from, it's the original or nothing.
Old 08-05-01, 01:37 PM
Banned

Originally posted by axolotls return

Oh.. I guess you're gonna get the VHS or LD then..

Here's a pisser for everyone. Since Miramax (I think) got the rights to New Legend of Shaolin, all show prints were recently recalled and destroyed
is that the one with the burnt monster guy who drives around in a metal car? if so i thought that movie was really stupid
Old 08-05-01, 01:38 PM
Banned

I don't care how long I have to wait for the version with the (more or less) original languages of Cantonese/Japanese. I see no point in buying a version I wouldn't be happy with. It might as well be dubbed in Latin, for me, no matter where the movie comes from, it's the original or nothing.

thats exactly my reasoning for not shelling out 33 bucks for a dvd that isn't the original language. i already have one of those in the buena vista version, and thats gonna have to do for now
Old 08-05-01, 05:10 PM

is that the one with the burnt monster guy who drives around in a metal car? if so i thought that movie was really stupid
I actually enjoyed this movie. Although, I do have to admit that the burnt guy and his metal car was a stupid idea. But, Jet's and the little kid's kung fu were awesome and make up for it. Plus, there were some really funny scenes especially with that fatty kid and the grandma.
Old 08-05-01, 05:15 PM

I'd normally agree with you about waiting for the uncut/original language track for a movie, but this movie is just so awesome and it seems that there may not a original/uncut release in a long long time, if ever. At least the uncut Mandarin w/ subs still captures the original tone of the movie, whereas the slightly cut English dub version pretty much ruins the movie.
Old 08-06-01, 12:07 PM

Re...

I would also have to agree that the Mandarin, subtitled version of the movie is better than the Buena Vista version.
The English dubbing tones down the political elements of the story and changes the characters.
We will probably never see a version of Fist of Legend on DVD with the original language. Buena Vista now owns the worldwide rights to it as they do DRUNKEN MASTER II.
I have heard that they will also be butchering BULLET IN THE HEAD and darkhorizons.com mentioned IRON MONKEY in it's news and review column.

I think the point with Fist of Legend is that Buena Vista not only dubbed in English but replaced the entire soundtrack and in doing so changed the mood of the movie.

Vanian