Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will New Line ever release POLICE STORY 1 & 2?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-01, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all the Jackie Chan films they have released, anyone know whey they choose to sit on these titles? I wish they'd also release DVDs of "Crippled Masters" and the unrated "The Streetfighter," both of which they have out on VHS.
Old 07-29-01, 01:34 PM

I'd love see New Line put out these DVDs! At least they'd probably be 16X9 unlike if Buena Vista did them.
Old 07-29-01, 02:21 PM

Yeah, but

if ANY company in the US (Disney, New Line, etc...) released them they would most likely be hack'ed n' slashed in addition to being dubbed.

So the question would be, do you want the movie, or do you want a dubbed and butchered version in 16x9? I really wish unnecessary chioces like this didn't have to be made.
Old 07-29-01, 04:35 PM

If only the HK companies would use anamorphic enhancement. I hate a cutjob as much as the next person but there lack of 16X9 support keeps me away.
Old 07-29-01, 04:36 PM

Come to think of it, New Line cutdown First Strike didn't they?
Old 07-29-01, 04:41 PM

Personally, I'd take a studio-dubbed disc over an original-language import because my experience with the latter is that the transfers are inferior.

I remember when I first saw the HK version of BLACK MASK, I *hated* it because I could barely tell what was going on. When I saw Artisan's disc, however, I loved it. Yeah, I could do without the new rap soundtrack, but it's a small price to pay for a crisp, clean picture, IMHO.

As for cut jobs, I'm not aware if New Line has cut FIRST STRIKE or any of the JC films, but if so, I have a feeling I'm not missing much. Unless it's like what Miramax did to THE LEGEND OF DRUNKEN MASTER by changing the ending, then that's another story. (But again, what a nice picture! And all those martial arts trailers!)
Old 07-29-01, 05:38 PM

RE:

The STREET FIGHTER and I believe STREET FIGHTER returns are on the same DVD and you can probably get it for under $10 at your local Suncoast. It's some company I never heard of that put it our. The STREET FIGHTER seems to be the same version I have on laser disc.

Not only does Dimension cut their films and re-dub them. They change the story line a bit as well as dump the original music. If you've seen the Dimension's version of FIST OF LEGEND, check out the Ritek version. The Dimension picture quality is better but it cuts a scene and also takes liberties with the characters. Dimension toned down political references and changed the tone Jet Li's character a little bit. I like watching my movies they were they were intended. I don't really need Dimension telling me what will make a film better.

Vanian
Old 07-29-01, 07:31 PM

Hacks n' Slashes

*EVERY* Jackie film that has been re-released in theatres (and the majority released direct to video) over here has been hacked in some fashion. Probably the least hacked as far as edits go was LODM. The ending wasn't really changed, just about maybe 30 seconds, if that, of footage was excised. It was a funny bit, but could easily be considered tasteless and offensive by some.

First Strike was quite hacked and makes much, much more sense in the original version. The story is much more clear and the movie itself isn't as cartoony. Lots of apparent holes in the plot weren't actually there in the original. If I remember correctly, they axed a lot of minutes of footage.

Rumble in the Bronx was really altered by the cuts. I was shocked at how different the tone of the original movie was when I finally got my hands on an uncut DVD a little while ago. New Line cut a lot out of the movie and basically turned it into almost a cartoon. I can't knock 'em too bad as much as I would like too 'cause at least it introduced JC over here and I found out who he was (and have since spent tons o' cash on his flicks...hmmmm...maybe I can knock New Line after all.. ).

Twin Dragons had a lot of funny bits excised (which IMO is a shame 'cause otherwise the movie was rather lame).

I know Supercop (Police Story 3) was sliced, but I haven't gotten my hands on the original to see just how bad yet.

Operation Condor (Armour of God 2) was really sliced. There were lots of scenes that were axed, including what was probably the funniest scene out of the entire flick. If I rememebr right, they even shortened the wind-tunnel fight by several minutes. Again, apparent inconsistencies and cartoon-ish-ness qualities were actually added due to the cuts.

Mr. Nice Guy was also cut. Allthough IMHO the flick didn't quite suffer as badly from the amputations as some of the other flicks.

LODM had only the one quick ending scene excised, but they completely changed the soundtrack and sound effects. However, they did a GREAT job restoring the print. Overall, this movie is probably the best US re-release of a JC film to date.

Don't even get me started on the home video releases of Gorgeous and Who Am I? either...heh heh heh

If a US company has to get their hands on Police Story 1 & 2, I would prefer it be Columbia/Tristar. The DVDs might end up being "psuedo-anamorphic" but at least they will/should put the original movie in its entirety on the DVD (see Miracles, OUATIC series, etc..).

Me personally, I LOVE a great quality print, but I would rather suffer some visual distress and see the flick as it was originally made and intended.

Now on to discuss the Streetfighter series. Diamond is the company that has put out the DVDs. The DVDs are cheap (I got mine for US$8.00 each). There are two DVDs, each with two movies on them (Streetfighter/Return of The Streetfighter, Streetfighter's Last Revenge/Sister Street Fighter). Widescreeen prints, dubbed, and the quality ain't bad.

(note added: I think I remember a mention somewhere that these were actually mastered from the LD versions)

Word of warning though, if you like Sonny Chiba and/or Sue Shiomi do *NOT* get the DVD also put out by Diamond that has both "The Bodyguard" abd "Dragon Princess". Both these flicks are full-screen and the cropping was done horribly. You literally can't even see the actors or anything in Dragon Princess. I stopped after only five minutes because the framing was so bad.

Last edited by elengineer; 07-29-01 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-29-01, 08:30 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

SUPERCOP was barely touched and I actually like the film as released here (minus the rap crap).

EVERY OTHER Jackie Chan film has been ruined though. New Line released PS1&2 on VHS and LD and they were both heavily cut down.

They are due in England, Region 2, from HONG KONG LEGENDS and will both be UNCUT!!! Part 1 in October.
Old 07-29-01, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by Matt Stevens
SUPERCOP was barely touched and I actually like the film as released here (minus the rap crap).

EVERY OTHER Jackie Chan film has been ruined though. New Line released PS1&2 on VHS and LD and they were both heavily cut down.

They are due in England, Region 2, from HONG KONG LEGENDS and will both be UNCUT!!! Part 1 in October.
I've already got their purchases planned. HKL did a good job with Armour Of God and Pioneer with Who Am I?
Old 07-30-01, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Hacks n' Slashes

Originally posted by elengineer
First Strike was quite hacked and makes much, much more sense in the original version. The story is much more clear and the movie itself isn't as cartoony. Lots of apparent holes in the plot weren't actually there in the original. If I remember correctly, they axed a lot of minutes of footage.
You got that right. 20+ minutes were cut for the U.S. release!
Old 07-30-01, 05:34 PM

Is there a site that explains what was actually cut from HK movies. I always go to asian dvd guide but that doesn't tell me if the releases are cut.

Thank you.
Old 07-31-01, 12:20 PM

versions..

B4Bishop - That is the site I use when getting DVDs. A lot of the time you actually have to read the reviews of the DVDs in question. A lot of times it is in the reviews where cuts are noted.

Other than that and just asking questions in appropriate forums on appropriate message boards, I can't help you.

It would be real nice if there was some source of info describing precisely what has been done to chnage a particular film (exact scenes cut/added, scenes re-ordered, etc)
Old 07-31-01, 12:55 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Trying to describe the cuts is nearly impossible, as seconds are shaved off almost everywhere and some scenes are even rearranged (Rumble is the biggest example of this).