Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Shaolin Temple

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-01, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaolin Temple

How good of a kung-fu movie is this? Apparantly Jet Li is in it, but it's over 20 years old. What is Li a kid in this movie or something? Also, how many DVD versions of this movie are there, and which is better? Thanks.
Old 07-28-01, 05:04 PM

St1

Jet Li wasn't a kid per se in this movie, but he was young. The plot/writing isn't actuially bad. There is some good humor in it. The main reason to get this (IMHO) is to see all the wushu routines. The action is really good. Plus, Jet's ability really is awesome. Someone told me before I saw it and I still agree that after you see this (and Shaolin Temple 3) you will wonder why Jet ever had anything to do with wires and undercranking.

For info on different version out on DVD, etc...go hereand search:
www.asiandvdguide.com

Be aware that the UK DVD put out by Eastern Heores is slightly cut due to some animal cruelty scenes. Avoid the US version (looks the same as the HK cover, but the writing is in english) it is dubbed, and full-screen.
Old 07-28-01, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Get the Mei Ah version of the DVD - widescreen with burned in subs and a few extras (rare for a mei ah disc) with great audio. There's a decent UK disc that's region 2 PAL, but it has had mixed reviews.

Here's a link to some reviews:
http://www.hkmdb.com/db/movies/revie...isplay_set=eng

It's his debut film and there are others in the series that follow. Mainly for die-hard Jet Li fans. Perhaps you should rent it first if you're unsure.
Old 07-28-01, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks a lot for the info guys.
Old 07-29-01, 07:37 PM

Mainly for die-hard Jet Li fans.
Actually, this is still my overall favorite Jet Li film.

This film is thankfully missing a lot of cheezy HK film staples, like people pretending that they can't tell that stunning Chinese actresses are not men.

It's a straightforward film, with a reasonable plot and story, and good photography of Chinese wilderness areas (and the actual Shaolin Temple).

All of the actors are real martial artists.

The Mei Ah all-region DVD is fine.