Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Storm Riders DVD Out of Print?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Storm Riders DVD Out of Print?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-09, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Storm Riders DVD Out of Print?

I got the new storm riders dvd yesterday and it's definitely better quality than the previous version. It's anamorphic and the picture quality is good. The sound has been remastered to dts-es and dd 5.1 ex. The english subtitles are exactly the same as the old version, but thats okay because the old version had good english subtitles.

Old Storm Riders DVD:
Video (letterboxed): 5
Audio (DTS & DD 5.1): 8

New Storm Riders DVD:
Video (anamorphic): 8
Audio (DTS-ES & DD 5.1 EX): 9

Last edited by toddly6666; 05-29-09 at 07:36 AM.
Old 05-29-09, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I got the new storm riders dvd yesterday and it's definitely better quality than the previous version. It's anamorphic and the picture quality is good. The sound has been remastered to dts-es and dd 5.1 ex. The english subtitles are exactly the same as the old version, but thats okay because the old version had good english subtitles.

Old Storm Riders DVD:
Video (letterboxed): 5
Audio (DTS & DD 5.1): 8

New Storm Riders DVD:
Video (anamorphic): 8
Audio (DTS-ES & DD 5.1 EX): 9
Which release are you comparing it to? I have the Universe Laser & Video - worth an upgrade?
Old 05-29-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by marty888
Which release are you comparing it to? I have the Universe Laser & Video - worth an upgrade?
yeah, I had the Universe Laser & Video DVD. It's totally worth an upgrade! It's going from letterboxed to anamorphic!

I wonder how the video quality on this new version compares to the anamorphic versions released in France and Germany (those don't have English subtitles though)
Old 05-29-09, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Discotek is working on this in the USA, they say that the master they go twas too messy and they are going to find a better one.
Old 05-29-09, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zombeaner
Discotek is working on this in the USA, they say that the master they go twas too messy and they are going to find a better one.
What's the video/audio/subtitle quality like on Discotek dvds?
Old 05-29-09, 06:24 PM

What's the video/audio/subtitle quality like on Discotek dvds?
I've been happy so far, and they are good people in a small company. I e-mailed them when I was waiting for their edition of Katakuris was not available yet, and weeks later they emailed me back to let me know it was available for pre-order. I like them. Also, you can order cheaply from their website.
Old 05-31-09, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

any english subtitles on the second disc?
Old 05-31-09, 09:52 AM

Just ordered the BD.
Old 06-18-09, 11:50 AM

For anyone contemplating the Blu-ray of this, I'd recommend waiting for the Discotec release. The subtitles are the same annoying Chinglish as before, and onscreen text remains unsubbed. The picture quality seems decent. I ordered the "US edition," which has the standard BR case, as opposed the HK edition, which has a different cover. The cover quality is really shoddy, with some really poorly rendered artwork and Chinglish text on the back. Extras are the same as the original DVD, from what I recall of that. Most disappointing was the movie itself, which I hadn't seen in years, but did not hold up well at all.
Old 06-18-09, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Where are you ordering the blu from? Its on pre-order at hkflix.
Old 06-18-09, 10:45 PM

Yesasia.

Last edited by Shiv Shankly; 06-18-09 at 10:46 PM. Reason: brain cramp.
Old 10-10-09, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After reading a DVD review (http://10kbullets.com/reviews/s/storm-riders-the/) of this DISKOTEK Storm Riders dvd, it doesn't sound that great. It's got two versions - an anamorphic progressive scan international dubbed version or an anamorphic interlaced HK longer version with original audio. The review didn't say that the English subtitles are better.

I'm going to stick with the new HK dvd till I hear better dvd reviews of the DISKOTEK dvd.
Old 10-14-09, 05:36 PM

I still have my old non-anamorphic Universe disc and the last I checked, those subs were professionally translated. So if the new remastered Universe disc carries those subs over, I wouldn't mind at all. About the Discotek DVD, I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't include a DTS track but the extras are slightly better.
Old 10-15-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dragon Lee
I still have my old non-anamorphic Universe disc and the last I checked, those subs were professionally translated. So if the new remastered Universe disc carries those subs over, I wouldn't mind at all. About the Discotek DVD, I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't include a DTS track but the extras are slightly better.
Are the English subtitles better on the Discotek than the HK DVD? I know that the English subtitles were decent on the HK DVD, but Western DVD companies usually handle the English subtitles better than the Asian DVD companies (for example, the English subtitles on the HK dvds of HERO and HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS were good, but the USA NTSC Region 1 DVDs had better English subtitles)
Old 10-19-09, 11:58 AM

Are the English subtitles better on the Discotek than the HK DVD? I know that the English subtitles were decent on the HK DVD, but Western DVD companies usually handle the English subtitles better than the Asian DVD companies (for example, the English subtitles on the HK dvds of HERO and HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS were good, but the USA NTSC Region 1 DVDs had better English subtitles)
Can't answer that because I don't have the Discotek version yet! I'm confused: The 10k review only lists the audio tracks as DD 5.1 and DD stereo for the uncut version yet the review on this site suggests that there is a DTS track present. Does anyone actually have this disc and if you do, can you confirm this?

Thanks!
Old 10-19-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It seems like the re-mastered HK DVD is the best English-subtitled version then...The Discotek version seems too sketchy and not worth it...
Old 10-19-09, 06:52 PM

I have the Discotek DVD and can confirm that it does indeed have a DTS track.

Last edited by meddle72; 10-19-09 at 11:06 PM.