DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   International DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk-12/)
-   -   Storm Riders DVD Out of Print? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/international-dvd-talk/129410-storm-riders-dvd-out-print.html)

TekTicker 07-28-01 05:30 AM

Storm Riders DVD Out of Print?

Is it just me or is this great movie now out of print? I tried to get one for my nephew and nobody seems to have it. I checked with DDDHouse and all the favorites and even tried the U.S. retailers. Can anyone confirm whether it's out of print or not?

Trigger 07-28-01 07:41 AM

Pokerindustries has it (Universe version) for 33 bucks. Also hkflix has the cheaper mandarin only version of the film for 21 bucks (poker lists it as 17 bucks). DVDAsian has yet another version (Daum) with DD5.1 with removable subtitles going for 23 bucks and the Universe version as well for 34 bucks. I found it in stock at the first 4 places I looked - are you sure you're looking for the right item? Try doing a search using two words instead of one.

Hivizone has the Universe version also for 31.50 - only place I found who didn't have it in stock was DDDHouse.

As for US retailers - Amazon has it for 42 bucks yikes! and everywhere else carries it as well, but Tai Seng set the MSRP at 49 bucks, so good luck getting a good price - you could try www.bestprices.com or www.reellove.com or else do a search on pricegrabber or dvdpricesearch.

carnifern 07-28-01 09:39 AM

I've seen (recently) as many as 10 copies of it for sale at Virgin Megastore in Times Square. I'm not sure of the price since I wasn't really looking for it but their other HK DVDs are $20-30 so it's probably $30.

SiuBo 08-07-01 01:51 PM

damn, but you guys are paying a fortune for HK DVDs.

StormRiders DVD is available on sale over here in HK for less than HK$100. That's about US$8.

You guys are being ripped off. In fact, a lot of HK DVDs (well, old ones anyway) are very cheap locally, many costing just a bit more than the VCD versions.

tangno 08-07-01 02:12 PM

Hey Siubo

can you get me some hong kong dvds over there .. if you can please email me at [email protected], so we can work out some details.

Thanks

SiuBo 08-08-01 10:58 AM

oops mistake

sorry about that. HK$100 equals UK 8 pounds, and US$13. My mistake.

I've looked around at some retailers today, and they all don't stock StormRiders. The disc must have been discontinued. Some retailers should have back stock though.

To Tangno: getting some discs for you isn't really a problem, if you just want a few, but I am not a retailer, so it might be difficult for me to ship over a dozen or more titles over to you.

What kind of films are you interested in? I'll check the prices for you.

Then if it's feasible, we'll talk about payment, shipping etc.

tangno 08-08-01 02:22 PM

Siubo , im interested in so many tittles. can you find out how much

Project A
Crime story 1,2, 3
Once upon a time in china 2,3
hard boiled
full contact
He's a man , she's a woman (for my wife)

Im mostly interested in jackie chan, jet li, chow yun fat movies

SiuBo 08-09-01 01:40 PM

ok, do my best.

You've to realise that some films may not be released onto DVD, or they may be discontinued.

Furious 08-09-01 07:51 PM

Storm Riders

The disc is still in print and will be for the forseeable future. With it's higher price it isn't replicated in larger numbers like Universe's budget line so stocks are low from time to time.

TekTicker 08-10-01 02:44 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. I got mine from HiviZone.

Have any of you heard about the upcoming Storm Riders television series? I just found out from one of my friends that Vincent Chiu (the guy who
played Fong Sai Yuk I's villain) will star as Wind and
Peter Ho (the villain in "Young & Dangerous: Born to
Be King) will play Cloud. Sonny Chiba will reprise
his role again as Hong Ba for the series. It's going to be
20+ chapters (about 6-8 hours of film!). Here are some pictures from the TV series (replaced semi-colon to avoid linking):

http;//www.orientaldaily.com.hk/photo/20010319/ent/0319enew08b2.jpg

http;//www.orientaldaily.com.hk/photo/20010319/ent/0319enew08p1.gif

http;//appledaily.atnext.com/webimg/640pix/20010311/Article_ent/11ej9p.jpg

http;//appledaily.atnext.com/webimg/250pix/20010312/Article_ent/12ex1p.jpg

http;//www.orientaldaily.com.hk/photo/20010706/ent/0706enew18p1.gif

I hope none of you die laughing.

SiuBo 08-10-01 01:24 PM

here goes:

Project A - HK$196
Crime Story - HK$125
Full Contact - HK$149
He's a woman, she's a man parts 1 and 2 - HK$35 each

Old Jackie Chan films (70s and 80s) usually cost HK$35 each
90s films such as Who Am I? Gorgeous etc. cost HK$55 each

Jet Li films usually cost HK$55 each.

CYF old films cost HK$35 each, such as Prison on Fire etc.

Many Chow Sing Chi titles cost HK$35 each.

OUATIC - pretty expensive - HK$200 each.

For some unknown reason, some older DVD titles cost more than others. For example, Armour of God cost HK$125 while Armour of God 2: Operation Condor only costs HK$69.

As for the StormRiders TV series: I haven't heard about it, and I live in Hong Kong. They did a spoof about it in a charity show not long ago. Could this be it? If not, then it's news to me.

20 chapters would equal to nearly 20 hours of footage, as one chapter lasts about 50 minutes in HK's TV dramas, not including adverts.

Checked around again for StormRiders DVD. Price has risen to a extortionate HK$189. Nobody knows why. A Man Called Hero DVD only costs HK$58, and it's the newer film. Strange things are afoot.

tangno 08-10-01 03:05 PM

Thx Siubo

I appreciate you looking into it. Thats weird that some tittles are more expensive then dddhouse.

I can understand some older movies costing more then the new ones simply because they are more sought after. But do you have an email address which we can talk alittle more about this?
my email is

[email protected]

thanks,
tangno

Yellow Hammer 08-10-01 08:13 PM

Originally posted by SiuBo
here goes:

Project A - HK$196
Crime Story - HK$125
Full Contact - HK$149
He's a woman, she's a man parts 1 and 2 - HK$35 each

Old Jackie Chan films (70s and 80s) usually cost HK$35 each
90s films such as Who Am I? Gorgeous etc. cost HK$55 each

Jet Li films usually cost HK$55 each.

CYF old films cost HK$35 each, such as Prison on Fire etc.

Many Chow Sing Chi titles cost HK$35 each.

OUATIC - pretty expensive - HK$200 each.

Checked around again for StormRiders DVD. Price has risen to a extortionate HK$189. Nobody knows why. A Man Called Hero DVD only costs HK$58, and it's the newer film. Strange things are afoot.

Whati part of HK did you look for these DVDs? Some of the more expensive titles have been reduced recently, so it looks like the stores haven't caught up yet.

SiuBo 08-11-01 01:33 PM

I live in the New Territories so I usually look in the smaller local stores which usually have cheaper pricing than the large retailers.

You may be right that some retailers reduce their pricing and some don't, so it's a chance.

I usually buy my stuff from Shui Hing CD stores as they're cheaper than anywhere else. For example: A man called Hero costs $58 there while in HMV it costs $90.

I don't like HMV as they're a rip off, although they have the largest stock in town. Eg. StormRiders cost $310 in HMV compared to $189 in Shui Hing.

My email address is: [email protected]

axolotls return 08-14-01 12:56 PM

Wow!

Yeah. I looked around and the cheapest place I can find it is HKD$205 for the Universe HK Release. Ridiculous!!

scouse 08-16-01 05:19 PM

Just got back in stock at DDDhouse at $125.

SiuBo 08-19-01 12:30 PM

Shui Hing CD has knocked the price down to HK$108.

dorian 08-20-01 11:19 AM

funny...just got the weekly ad mail from hivizone, they knocked their price down to USD18.5

not terribly bad.

nshing 08-20-01 11:39 AM

I just picked a copy of Stormriders (Universe Edition, Mandarin Sountrack, No Extras) at Entertainment Outlet, 103 West 14th Street in NYC for $12.99 before tax on Friday, Aug. 17.

TekTicker 08-20-01 04:27 PM

Originally posted by nshing
I just picked a copy of Stormriders (Universe Edition, Mandarin Sountrack, No Extras) at Entertainment Outlet, 103 West 14th Street in NYC for $12.99 before tax on Friday, Aug. 17.
The copy you picked up is not from Universe, but from WA in China. You can find them on eBay for $9.99 or on other Chinese websites (see previous threads) for about $2-3 each.

axolotls return 08-20-01 05:52 PM

It's now known that these are licensed by Universe and released by WA.

No extras though. Get the Universe one out of HK. Definitely.

Vanian 08-20-01 08:27 PM

RE...

Here is a link to Digitaleyes.net.
http://www.digitaleyesdvd.com/Detail...fo=TAI77624DVD

It should be for Storm Riders. It says it's from Tai Seng.

Vanian

jdpatri 09-05-01 10:12 PM

Playcentric.com has Storm Riders for $13.70. Use the Sprite/Rocketcash link for an extra 20% off of that! Its the Tai Seng version.

toddly6666 05-27-09 01:13 AM

Re: Storm Riders DVD Out of Print?

Great news - tenth anniversary special edition dvd and blu ray released in a couple days! Im assuming that this version will be anamorphic. See yesasia.com for dvd photos/info

toddly6666 05-29-09 07:32 AM

Re: Storm Riders DVD Out of Print?

I got the new storm riders dvd yesterday and it's definitely better quality than the previous version. It's anamorphic and the picture quality is good. The sound has been remastered to dts-es and dd 5.1 ex. The english subtitles are exactly the same as the old version, but thats okay cu the old version had good english subtitles.

Old Storm Riders DVD:
Video (letterboxed): 5
Audio (DTS & DD 5.1): 8

New Storm Riders DVD:
Video (anamorphic): 8
Audio (DTS-ES & DD 5.1 EX): 9