Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

One-and-Only Old School HK Kung Fu thread

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

One-and-Only Old School HK Kung Fu thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-02, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy crap

Holy crap....
20 films a month?

Talk about a double-edged blade.

'Tis great that they are restoring and making awesome DVDs, but oh, the amount o' cash one could run through....

Does anyone know if "Invincible Pole Fighter" is a SB film?
Old 04-02-02, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, Celestial Pictures Shaw Bros remasters seem to be on their way. The list of tentative June releases reads...

Chinese Boxer
14 Amazons
Golden Swallow
King Boxer
King Eagle
Last Woman of Shang
Oath of Death
One-Armed Swordsman
Return of the One Armed Swordsman
Temple of the Red Lotus
Wandering Swordsman

A pretty good start of classics, mainly focusing on swordplay action films. Most notable are (the one that, arguably, started it all) One-Armed Swordsman & Return of the One Armed Swordsman (Wang Yu, Chang Cheh), Golden Swallow (Wang Yu, Chang Cheh, Pei Pei Chang), King Eagle (Chang Cheh, Ti Lung), Wandering Swordsman (Chang Cheh, David Chiang), the prototype kung fu revenge films King Boxer (aka 5 Fingers of Death Chang Cheh, Lo Lieh), and Jimmy Wang Yu’s Chinese Boxer.

Oath of Death is a Lo Lieh swordplay. Temple of the Red Lotus is a Wang Yu drama? I think. 14 Amazons, I dont recall at all. Last Woman of Shang is a drama, I’m pretty sure. All the movies are late 60’s early 70’s, nothing after 72'-73’.
Old 04-03-02, 05:32 PM

SF - Thanks for the bkgnd info and posting the list.

As a rhetorical question, I wonder if Celestial is going to release things in a semi-chronological order by era?

Also, I wonder what the remasters will retail for? Hopefully not much.
Old 04-04-02, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: ...

Originally posted by elengineer
SF - Thanks for the bkgnd info and posting the list.

As a rhetorical question, I wonder if Celestial is going to release things in a semi-chronological order by era?

Also, I wonder what the remasters will retail for? Hopefully not much.
That really is the big question- Whats it going to cost? There are a few contradicting factors- With the Shaws stingy reputation, plus the remastering efforts, you could assume that they will be average/expensive?- But, also, the Shaws have never really acknowledged the demand for their classic films, so they may think that they dont have a high market so the cost will be kept low?- Finally, one assumes that if you are going to offer, supposedly, 20 films a month, realistically for consumers the cost will have to be low, or suffer glutting the market will discs that wont sell.

Since the releases will be across the UK, US, and HK, I'm also hoping we could maybe import them from HK cheaper, like the cheaper ($5.50, roughly) Universe titles, that reatial for $15-$20 at US stores.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 04-04-02 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-06-02, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
THanks for that list of upcoming Celestial releases. I've already refused to buy any full screen kungfu movies, although I can put up with the quality of some of Crash's and Ground Zero's better widescreen releases. But if these Celestial releases do indeed materialize, then they will be getting just about all of my kungfu DVD purchases, except for maybe the odd independent widescreen old-school releases by some of the others.
Old 05-10-02, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts
Anyone going to Cannes?

because Celestial Pictures will be screening their print of The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (aka Master Killer, aka Shalin Master Killer)

i'm sure everyone would like to know how well they've cleaned up the print, how it sounds, cuts/edits (if any), etc.

this is the list of things they will be screening (taken from the Hollywood Reporter 5/10)

Golden Lotus
Dir: Li Han-Hsiang

Love in a Fallen City
Dir: Ann Hui

Martial Arts of Shaolin
Dir: Lau Kar-Leung

Martial Romance
Dir: Andrew Lau

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
Dir: Lau Kai Leung
(120 mins run time)
Old 05-14-02, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Added some reviews to the database.

Ground Zeros, glitchy Incredible Kung Fu Master

Brentwoods Legends of kung fu wishy-washy, 10 film set, including old schools like Streetfighter, Blind Fists of Bruce Lee, 36 Crazy Fists, Punch of Death (aka Prodigal boxer), and Blood of the Dragon.
Old 09-04-03, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone have a recent list of the best "Old School" kung fu DVD's that every martial arts fan should have in there collection?
Old 11-25-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by indycohiba
Anyone have a recent list of the best "Old School" kung fu DVD's that every martial arts fan should have in there collection?
Yeah, what he said...
Old 11-25-03, 07:04 PM

I think it is kungfucinema.com that has the top 50 list. Its a moving list so its always changing.
http://www.kungfucinema.com/feature/top50.htm
Old 11-25-03, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by mrwilson
I think it is kungfucinema.com that has the top 50 list. Its a moving list so its always changing.
http://www.kungfucinema.com/feature/top50.htm
That's a mix of old and new school, though it was great to see that 'A Touch of Zen' is on DVD now. I think I need that one...
Old 03-16-04, 10:12 AM

5 masters of Death

Does anyone have a copy of "5 Masters of Death" on tape or DVD which I can purchase a copy. Please email me at [email protected] (remove NOSPAM to send email).
Old 03-16-04, 11:49 AM

I'm happy! One-Armed Swordsman is finally coming out in June! (IVL I mean.)

Flying Guillotine is also coming out soon. I'm going to Hong Kong in early April. Should I get it? Any other Shaw/IVL suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 03-16-04, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I've got about 20 of the Celestial Shaws, and here's some that I would recommend:

The Magnificent Trio (1966) Remake of the Japanese movie Three Outlaw Samurai, great intro to the Shaws 60's swordplay. Very colorful sets and costumes, good, if dated, action.

36th Chamber of Shaolin (1977) Greatest kungfu movie ever? I might say so. This restored print looks awesome.

Boxer From Shantung (1972) John Woo was assistant director, and this movie is definitely a kung-fu precursor to things like The Killer and A Better Tomorrow.

The Bastard (1972) A Chor Yuen movie, great, tragic story, acting and fight scenes.

But those are really just the tip of the iceberg---man, there's so many classic Shaws out already by Celestial I hardly know where to start---and more coming out every month.
Old 03-16-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: 5 masters of Death

Originally posted by dwoo
Does anyone have a copy of "5 Masters of Death" on tape or DVD which I can purchase a copy. Please email me at [email protected] (remove NOSPAM to send email).
I think the original title is "5 Shaolin Masters", and that was recently released by Celestial pictures on Region 3, with a restored anamorphic widescreen print.
Old 03-16-04, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by pat00139
I'm happy! One-Armed Swordsman is finally coming out in June! (IVL I mean.)

Flying Guillotine is also coming out soon. I'm going to Hong Kong in early April. Should I get it? Any other Shaw/IVL suggestions?

Thanks.
Eight Diagram Pole Fighter comes out on Thursday!

Better question is "what do you own?"

I have:

36th Chamber of Shaolin
Return to the 36th Chamber
Disciples of the 36th Chamber
Water Margin
All Men are Brothers
5 Venoms
5 Shaolin Masters
2 Champions of Shaolin
Heroes Two
Lion vs Lion

On order (or soon to be):
Executioners from Shaolin
Chinatown Kid
Invincible Shaolin
Eight Diagram Pole Fighter
Flying Guillotine (Chen Kuan Tai)

Last edited by devilshalo; 03-16-04 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-16-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

IVL/Celestial's releasing this? Woo-hoo!!! If so, i can finally get rid of my crappy Telefilms International/Beverly Wilshire version! i was a little disappointed with Master Of The Flying Guillotine because i was hoping for the Chen Kuan-tai classic.

What i've got:
36th Chamber of Shaolin, The
5 Shaolin Masters
All Men Are Brothers
Blazing Temple, The
Buddha's Palm
Clans Of Intrigue
Disciples Of The 36th Chamber
Executioners From Shaolin
Five Venoms, The
Heroes Two
Heroic Ones, The
Invincible Shaolin
Iron Bodyguard
Magic Blade, The
Magnificent Trio, The
Master, The
Shadow Boxing
Shaolin Temple
Super Inframan
Swordsman and Enchantress
Two Champions Of Shaolin
Water Margin, The

On order:
Eight Diagram Pole Fighter, The
Shaolin Hand Lock

DEFINITELY adding Flying Guillotine & One-Armed Swordsman onto the list! Any news on Chinese Super Ninja or Flag of Iron?
Old 03-16-04, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by RaMMaR
IVL/Celestial's releasing this? Woo-hoo!!! If so, i can finally get rid of my crappy Telefilms International/Beverly Wilshire version! :cool

Now.. the million dollar question. Will it have the brief nudity or not when Wang Yu get's his concubine?
Old 03-16-04, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by devilshalo
Now.. the million dollar question. Will it have the brief nudity or not when Wang Yu get's his concubine?
If they cut out anything, it should be his love scene immediately after! i can honestly say i could do a better job - hell, my friend's mutt did a better job on my leg!
Old 03-16-04, 08:56 PM

devilshalo, I have these titles:
the 3 36 chamber movies
Come Drink with Me
Empress Dowager
Magnificent Trio
Anonymous Heroes
Duel of Fists
Death Duel
Heroic Ones
Invincible Shaolin
The Five Venoms
5 Shaolin Masters

...and Drunken Monkey...

Rammar, I didn't see those 2 movies on the list I found. Here's where I found out about One-Armed Swordsman. The two other movies in that series are also coming out later in the year.

http://www.dvdcult.com/KFDVD1.htm

I'm also thinking of buying 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, Water Margin and All Men are Brothers. Would those be worth picking up?

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-16-04, 11:07 PM

Could someone convince me on why I should get Flying Guillotine? I've been thinking about of whether I should get this or not, because it has Chen Kuan-Tai, one of my favorite Shaw actors. But I haven't heard anything about it. The only flying guillotine I know of is from Master of the Flying Guillotine with Jimmy Wang Yu. So, any comments would be appreciated? Also, any comments on Mad Monkey Kung Fu, since it is coming at the same time as Flying Guillotine.

As for the upcoming Celestial releases, I am really looking forward to getting:

My Young Auntie
Flying Guillotine 2 (depending on the first one)
Crippled Avengers
One-Armed Swordsman
Avenging Eagle
Heroes of the East
New One-Armed Swordsman
Clan of the White Lotus
Martial Club

There are some others that look interesting, but I haven't heard any comments about them yet.

As for Chinese Super Ninja (5 Elemental Ninjas) and Flag of Iron (Spearmen of Death), I think are not being re-released by IVL any time soon. I wish they were being released this year, but oh well.

For anyone who is interested, here is the schedule for the 2004 Shaw releases.

Last edited by Master Killer; 03-16-04 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-17-04, 09:51 PM

...Rammar, I didn't see those 2 movies on the list I found. Here's where I found out about One-Armed Swordsman. The two other movies in that series are also coming out later in the year.

http://www.dvdcult.com/KFDVD1.htm

I'm also thinking of buying 8 Diagram Pole Fighter, Water Margin and All Men are Brothers. Would those be worth picking up?
Thanks for the info, pat00139.
i haven't seen 8DPF since it was shown on Black Belt Theater years ago. My memory of it is more than sketchy, but it has Gordon Liu & it's garnered some favorable reviews. i couldn't help but bite.
While both TWM & AMAB are admittedly a vehicle for David Chiang, they also feature a who’s who of Shaw Bros. stars – that alone ImO was worth it.
Scene of note in TWM: The final battle sequence w/ all the Liang Shan heroes standing shoulder to shoulder
Scenes of note in AMAB: Chen Kuan-Tai’s fight sequence & a young Bolo Yeung taking on the "Black Whirlwind"

Here are some links to KungFuCinema.com's reviews:
8 Diagram Pole Fighter, The Water Margin, & All Men Are Brothers

Originally posted by Master Killer
Could someone convince me on why I should get Flying Guillotine? I've been thinking about of whether I should get this or not, because it has Chen Kuan-Tai, one of my favorite Shaw actors. But I haven't heard anything about it. The only flying guillotine I know of is from Master of the Flying Guillotine with Jimmy Wang Yu. So, any comments would be appreciated?
A brief & spotty synopsis since i can’t bring myself to watch the sub par Telefilms DVD again (there are better ones on hkflix’ site):
Chen Kuan-Tai is one of several guardsmen hand-picked to master a new weapon. Under penalty of death, each swears loyalty to the group and to the Emperor – becoming the Emperor’s personal assassination squad. All goes seemingly well as they dispatch the Emps enemies, until Chen Kuan-Tai and a few others suffer a conflict of conscience (there's some jealousy & treachery to boot). Deemed a traitor and condemned to death, he escapes (natch), falls in love, and has a family. Kuan-Tai’s domestic bliss is threatened when his past catches up, forcing him to fight for his life.

Since the flying guillotine is a long-range weapon, hand-to-hand combat isn’t as abundant compared to other Shaw actioners. i wouldn’t say Flying Guillotine is a “must have,” but if you’re a Chen Kuan-Tai fan (or a fan of Shaw Bros. In general), ImO it’d make a worthy addition to your old school arsenal.
i haven't seen FG2 since Black Belt Theater either, but i do remember enjoying it more than its predecessor.
Old 03-18-04, 02:10 AM

Originally posted by devilshalo
Eight Diagram Pole Fighter comes out on Thursday!

Better question is "what do you own?"

I have:

36th Chamber of Shaolin
Disciples of the 36th Chamber
Water Margin
All Men are Brothers
5 Venoms
5 Shaolin Masters
2 Champions of Shaolin
Heroes Two
Lion vs Lion

On order (or soon to be):
Executioners from Shaolin
Chinatown Kid
Invincible Shaolin
Eight Diagram Pole Fighter
Flying Guillotine (Chen Kuan Tai)
Hey, are they going to do a remastering of Chinatown Kid? I ordered one from HK Flix but it was a HORRENDOUS copy!
Old 03-18-04, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by peter07
Hey, are they going to do a remastering of Chinatown Kid? I ordered one from HK Flix but it was a HORRENDOUS copy!
It's available now. i think IVL released this last year?
Old 03-18-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Chinatown Kid was recently released, but there is some controversy among fans because apparently this is one of the few newly remastered prints from Celestial that was considerably cut from the original version----something about a cut print being the only thing they had to work with? I don't know----that's not one of my favorites, and I can't fault Celestial too much as they've done such a magnificent job with the Shaw library so far.

Ahhhhh, I just watched my remastered Executioners from Shaolin last night----nirvana!! It's just sooooo great to watch pristine prints of these movies after suffering through horrible 3rd generation pan-n-scan, taped from TV versions of these movies for the last 20 years!!!!

I would highly recommend anyone who's interested in getting into the Shaw flicks to go the reviews at Kungfucinema, the links that RaMMaR posted earlier. Marc Pollard does the best kungfu DVD reviews on the web, and from those reviews I've made a number of blind buys that I've been completely happy with.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.