Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Ring Virus -(an official Korean remake of the Japanese film) Anyone seen It?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

The Ring Virus -(an official Korean remake of the Japanese film) Anyone seen It?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-01, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Anyone seen this? The DVD looks OK,

The Ring Virus - 1999

Director: Kim Dong-Bin
Cast: Shin Eun-Kyoung, Jeong Jin-Young, Bae Doo-Na, Kim Chang-Wan.
category: Supernatural-Horror
running time: 110 minutes
audio: Korean
subtitles (removable): English / Japanese

region: all

Special Features:
Letterboxed; Dolby Digital 5.1 & 2.0

Just wondering how it holds up to the original movie, as I have not seen the original either...

Thanks in advance...
Old 07-17-01, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't know there was a remake -- I assume you're referring to the Japanese horror film "Ring," which I just saw for the first time this weekend. It's pretty creepy stuff involving a strange videotape making the rounds. Anyone who views it receives a phone call afterward that informs them they'll die in a week, and then they do.
Old 07-17-01, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
anyone??
Old 07-18-01, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK. This isn't exactly what you want to hear. But I watched the first 20 minutes of the Ring Virus a few days ago then lent it out.

So far, the story line is in sync with the original, no real deviations yet. I scanned to the end and all the scenes that creeped you out are there.

I could have sworn the picture was full screen 4:3, the transfer is OK, some of the darker scenes have hazey look.

I'll edit this when I finish seeing it.
Old 07-18-01, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's not a remake. There was a joint project where each country would make it's own version. The story is the same, the actors and language are different. Being a Nanako Matsushima fan, I liked the Japanese version. However, both versions are very good.
Old 07-18-01, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by axolotls return
OK. This isn't exactly what you want to hear. But I watched the first 20 minutes of the Ring Virus a few days ago then lent it out.

So far, the story line is in sync with the original, no real deviations yet. I scanned to the end and all the scenes that creeped you out are there.

I could have sworn the picture was full screen 4:3, the transfer is OK, some of the darker scenes have hazey look.

I'll edit this when I finish seeing it.
The dvd is in anamorphic widescreen and also contains a pan and scan version. Transfer is fine.

It follows the original ring story closely enough but adds enough originality and changes to make it worth seeing.
Old 07-19-01, 03:09 AM

I own the DVD...have the japanese version of ring on vcd but havent viewed yet so i dont have anything to compare to. I just wish they picked a better lead actress than shim eun ah, i just have a pet peeve about her from a while back. I suppose its pretty creepy at parts... and rather slow in some other parts. Mixed bag for me... It's definitly worth a look as not many korean movies have english subtitles.
Old 07-26-01, 10:33 AM

I have both films on DVD and, while The Ring is better, Ring Virus certainly stands up as a good film. The Korean producers threw in a few changes to the plot in order to differentiate it from the Japanese version which usually work pretty well.

As far as the widescreen/fullscreen video, you need to set your DVD player to widescreen otherwise the the DVD is designed to automatically go fullscreen by stretching the image to fit the screen so everyone will look very tall and thin.

If you're looking for a great (original) Korean horror film then I'd recommend seeing Tell Me Something. A very Se7en-ish horror murder mystery. Highly recommended.