International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

suggestions

Old 07-16-01, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suggestions

Hi, I am looking for some suggestions for Hong Kong movies or Korean, or some other foreign movie, but I am looking to add a bit of variety to my collection so, I am looking for the Dramas, the comedies, the mysteries, the horrors, fantasy, ect... I have heard all the suggestions for kung-fu or action movies, but now I need some suggestions for the non kung-fu or action movies, Thanks.

James
Old 07-16-01, 03:29 AM

Suggestions

try checking the list of difefrent categories given in the "Newbie" thread here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=122919

while several of the movies are Kung-Fu, not all of them are, and there are some really good selections mentioned.
Old 07-16-01, 09:03 PM

anyone else with more specific suggestions? Thanks
Old 07-17-01, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Those are other people's suggestions, not just mine. I didn't make that list up on my own.

Anyway - if you want specific suggestions - you should be more specific in your thread title and also be more specific in your question. Give some examples of films you like and would like to see more films of that nature. We could just pull films out of thin air for you, but that list would be just like the list in the newbie thread. Give us more to go on and we'll try to suggest stuff. Is it that you've seen everything in that list, or you think I came up with that list and you don't trust my opinions?
Old 07-17-01, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by James M
anyone else with more specific suggestions? Thanks
The Mission - awesome genre twister
Running out of Time - Great thriller
The Longest Nite - Film Noir
A Hero Never Dies - Homage to the John Woo Hero movies
Beast Cops - very cool quirky cop drama, with one of the great screen performances ever by Anthony Wong

All of these except Beast Cops are from Milkyway Ltd. - probably the best production company working out of Hong Kong right now. Main director there is Johnnie To. Great talent. Usually stars Lau Ching Wan, though The Mission does not(though makes up for it wonderfully by having Anthony Wong and Francis Ng).

Full Alert - WONDERFUL dramatic cop movie about the effects of violence. Starring Lau Ching Wan and Francis Ng in some terrific performances.

All the above films are relatively new - 1997 and up.

Then you have the John Woo classics - The Killer, Hard-Boiled, Bullet in the Head, A Better Tomorrow.

Ringo Lam(director of Full Alert) - City on Fire - one of Chow Yun-Fat's finest performances and the basis for Reservoir Dogs(Reservoir Dogs just expanded the last thirty minutes or so of City on Fire into a feature film).
Full Contact - Ultra-Hard core biker action revenge flick with Chow Yun-Fat and Anthony Wong.

These are all action films are drama films or drama/action. An they're all either very good or great. That should give you a good starting point.
Old 07-17-01, 01:52 PM

Trigger: I know those suggestions in your thread arent just yours, and when I posted this it didnt have as many suggestions and categories. So your thread does help me.
Anyways, Im just looking for suggestions of foreign movies, but kinda non action or kung fu, just becasue thats what people normally list and Ive read all those suggestions and added some to my want list. But now I am looking for more movies like peking opera blues or chineese ghost stroy kinda or even Japaneese movies like seven samurai or After life. A different genre of movies but still very good. I'm looking for suggestions but of a different type of movie. Does that help? Thanks.

James
Old 07-17-01, 02:06 PM

Trigger: I know those suggestions in your thread arent just yours, and when I posted this it didnt have as many suggestions and categories. So your thread does help me.
Anyways, Im just looking for suggestions of foreign movies, but kinda non action or kung fu, just becasue thats what people normally list and Ive read all those suggestions and added some to my want list. But now I am looking for more movies like peking opera blues or chineese ghost stroy kinda or even Japaneese movies like seven samurai or After life. A different genre of movies but still very good. I'm looking for suggestions but of a different type of movie. Does that help? Thanks.

James
James, I thought you just meant Hong Kong stuff. There's a world to discover in the Asian movie world, from the wild antics of extreme Hong Kong cinema to Akira Kurosawa and Zhang Yimou - On DVD right now, check out The Hidden Fortress, Seven Samurai(of course), Yojimbo, and High and Low - all great Kurosawa's - all of them period films excpet for High and Low, which is great film noir. Also available of his is Ran, which is simply maybe the best movie ever made. The greatest Shakespeare adaptation ever, and just an amazing film with enormous emotional impact as it delves into man's role in the Universe and the pain he puts on himself. A very deep, exciting, moving film.

I'm sure others have more great suggestions.
Old 07-17-01, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

James
That's cool... In that case, I'd suggest some Steven Chow for you as he is hilarious. Consistantly.

Also - non-asian... I'd suggest Anatomy. Some of the same staff that produced Run Lola Run. It's a horror film that's quite good. The US release has tons of special features as well.

I'd also suggest some Japanese Anime like Perfect Blue and perhaps Cowboy Bebop, but that's another subject alltogether.