International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Gohatto/Taboo?

Old 07-07-01, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone heard anything re a dvd of this film? Thanks
Old 07-07-01, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i got mine from dddhouse.com have not watched it yet though ...

P
Old 07-07-01, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...got mine from... heck, I forget where... it's on the OCEAN SHORES label / All-Region DVD-5 / 101 minutes / ~1.66:1 letterbox (=non-anamorphic) / ok transfer of a relatively clean but slightly faded-looking print (no deep blacks, and this for a movie that has a whole lot of black!) / ok DD 2.0(?) / Japanese language / optional English and Chinese subs / HK rating: IIa / Amaray-type keepcase

...feel -slightly- tempted to get the French DVD (this is a Japanese/French co-production, after all), which features an anamorphic -and possibly better- transfer, and offers optional Japanese or French DD 5.1 sound, locked French subs for the VO...

http://www.gohatto.com/

http://www.dvdfr.com/dvd/fiche.php3?id=3061

. . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 07-08-01 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-07-01, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Apparently there are at least two versions on DVD

Originally posted by Suttree
Has anyone heard anything re a dvd of this film? Thanks
Format: DVD - Shochiku (Japan), Ocean Shores (Hong Kong)

Letterboxed (1.70:1) / Dolby Digital 5.1/2.1 Surround.

the Shockiku is more expensive but has an anamorphic transfer, while the Ocean shores does not. I believe both are region free. Here's a review comparing the two discs, but it also has spoilers.

http://www.mondo-digital.com/inrealm.html

ALSO

you can get the Ocean shores version here

http://pokerindustries.com/acatalog/

cheers, Tony Block
Old 07-07-01, 09:42 PM

Who carries the Shochiku edition?
Old 07-07-01, 11:08 PM

Thanks for the info - is the Ocean Shores DVD region 1?
Old 07-07-01, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"...is the Ocean Shores DVD region 1?"

...erm... why do I even bother?...

Re-read my original post, above, where it says: "... / All-Region DVD-5 / ..."...

...or, perhaps, you didn't know that "All-Region" (a.k.a. "Region: ALL") is the same thing as "Region 0" (as in "Zero")? ...well, you know now... (oh, and in this specific case it also means that the disc is NTSC!)

...also note, in case you didn't know, that there is only one "Region 1": North America (=USA [and Possessions] and Canada) - and DVDs from that Region are NTSC...

...on the other hand, there are two "Region 2"s: Japan, which is NTSC - and (Western) Europe + South Africa + Near East countries, which are PAL...

...it's all so easy, really... I think... or izzit?... heck, who knows?...

...mumble...

. . .
Old 07-10-01, 01:06 AM

Actually, it pays to be careful about the region coding of a release. The Korean movie Shiri was originally released in R0, but now is coded R3, probably at the behest of Columbia TriStar. Columbia now owns the North American rights to the movie.

Japanese DVDs are expensive, listing at 4700 yen or more for most DVDs. To avoid parallel imports from the Hong Kong SAR into Japan, Japan licenses only a few DVDs to outside vendors. Unless you have a an all-region player, you don't want to be in the position of buying a new HK pressing of a Japanese movie that now has regional coding. New Zealand just changed its law to relax restrictions on the parallel import of intellectual property. When other nations follow suit, there should be even greater emphasis on regional coding for new movie releases.