International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

5th Element SE!

Old 06-27-01, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just saw a report that this Fall we will see a Special Edition of Besson`s 5th Element. This DVD will have according to http://www.dvdinside.de DD & DTS German & English Soundtracks and a second DVD will hold all the supplemental
features. Really can`t wait for this one!
Old 06-27-01, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...can't help wondering what 'extras' the Germans come up with, seeing as how Director Luc Besson (like Woody Allen btw!) is adamantly opposed to having 'extras' with his movies(*) - afaik not a single one has received more than a trailer or two (plus a souped-up Arkamys soundtrack for the French "Subway" DVD and a dts one for the French "The Messenger" DVD)...

(*)...he thinks his movies should 'speak for themselves'... and he may have a point there!...

...as for 'locked' German subtitles when playing the English soundtrack - expect this to be almost always the case - except when a DVD has multiple language subs...

. . .
Old 06-27-01, 11:10 AM

My first post to DVD Talk Forum...
:-)

I think current German "5th Element" DVD already has two 24 min documentaries, interviews, 3 Besson trailers plus Playstation game trailer. If information I have is right, the sound is in DD 5.1 only in German, English sound is in Dolby Surround.
So it's already the best version I know about, British DVD has one 22 min documentary and 2 trailers (one of them hidden) and French version has Poster Gallery and no trailers. I have US version... :-)

For the different covers go to
http://www.utv.ee/~ivar/dvd/reviews_other_d.html
(scroll down to "Fifth Element")

Ivar
Old 06-27-01, 01:50 PM

I've got the U.K. version but would happily upgrade to the new German DTS release if and only if it doesn't have forced subs.
Old 06-29-01, 12:08 PM
Cool New Member

Foreced subtitles

As far as i know only german "Kinowelt" releases had forced subtitles (due to restricitions made by US film release companies).
It is said that all new kinowelt releases are without those forced subtitles.
Old 06-30-01, 03:45 AM

According to that site the upcoming Fifth Element DVD won`t have forced subtitles. They also write: Film 126 minutes /Special Features 180 minutes!! Really looking forward to that Disc.