Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I just finished my firs Korean movie...

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

I just finished my firs Korean movie...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-01, 10:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nowhere to Hide. I have to say if you are looking for a film w/ style in preference to substance this is definately it. Not that say it's necessarily bad, however I was going into expecting something more like Running Out Of Time, instead it turned out to be a film makers workshop Fortunately I read a couple of reviews that prepared me for this aspect of it. BTW while it is a special edition in the sense that it has a behind-the-camera and an interview section (both about 7mins) neither is in/subtitled in english (Doesn't really matter for the behind-the-camera one though)

My question now is, what are some other Korean films/DVDs I should look for? I know Shiri is popular but I'm waiting for an R1 release of that (rumored for later this year). Anything else? I mainly like action, although recommendations for well done [character] dramas/romances are also welcome. Finally is Korean comedy about the same as HK comedy (something I just could never get into)? How about the "horror" and do they have any suspense/thrillers (something the HK industry completely ignores for some reason).

TIA
Old 06-26-01, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Bichunmoo - as soon as I watch it, I'll post a review.
Old 06-26-01, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Well - I just skimmed it - I'll give a real review when I really watch it, but wanted to let you know a few things. It's a swordfighting period movie. It's in Fullscreen (pan and scan vs. open matte I don't know), and it comes with DTS and DD5.1 as well as Cantonese and Mandarin tracks. Subtitles are removable and are in english. The transfer is beautiful and the sound is crystal clear. "The Highest Budget in Korean Film History!" and it shows pretty much I guess. Every film they release that makes it over here seems to be the "biggest" this or the "most" that in whatever history. Once again - all the extras are without subtitles, so they are worthless unless you speak korean. There's 2 MTV music videos, but one was made for cantonese MTV and the other for Korean MTV. Nice disc otherwise. Perhaps if I watch all the way through I'll change my mind, but from what I've seen and what I expect - I don't think it will disappoint me. I've seen Shiri and I liked it, but I totally agree with you that they're all about style over substance. Still totally worth watching though (Shiri).
Old 06-26-01, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have heard alot of people say Attack The Gas Station and Joint Security Area ( I hope that's the right title ) are both really good Korean films. I haven't had the chance to check them out yet tho so don't take my word for it.

Clint
Old 06-26-01, 11:15 AM

Korean films

Attack the Gas Station is a good, funny film; easy on the brain, but highly enjoyable. Make sure you get the Korean DVD, though, and not the HK version, which is full frame. Also, The Foul King is quite good as well, about a complete schlub who gets his ass kicked regularly by his boss, so he decides to become a pro wrestler. Very funny, with one shot that was utterly hilarious (the inside the skull cam, for those who've seen it) and gross. It's the sort of film that would be a decent hit in the US if someone had the brains to release it. And if you act now, there is a special edition package that comes with a Foul King shower cap (!), which resembles the mask the character in the film wears.
Old 06-26-01, 09:32 PM

Try BEAT....gritty korean gangster themed movie. great transfer and has english subs. I also have the Ring Virus, the korean version of the RING...i dunno i find the lead actress incredibly annoying from my days of watching rented korean tapes from the local korean tape store so it really distracted me. hehe its the korean remake of the popular RING. bichunmoo has some amazing fight scenes....forget substance, it definitly goes for all style......the main hero's henchmen are pretty bada$$!
Old 06-28-01, 04:01 AM

Trae,

Try this site. http://www.dvdutopia.com. It's a Korean dvd site, not a fancy one, but the reviews are pretty interesting to look at.

You won't be able to make out any characters but the pics in the review is pretty fun to look at. I think the star rating is, in order, film->image quality->sound quality->supplementals

It has the movie Shiri dvd review withscreens. You might ask for some reviews on the Korean titles that you might be of interest. I think the guy(or gal) who runs that site is pretty fluent with his English. I sent him a letter the other day and was very responsive. FYI, here's his email address => [email protected]. He calls himself 'James' in English.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-28-01, 11:28 PM

BEAT / SEOPEONJAE / JSA

Originally posted by trae
Try BEAT....gritty korean gangster themed movie. great transfer and has english subs.
Gotta second BEAT. It was my first Korean DVD. Can definitely see HK's Wong Kar-Wai's influence in some scenes. I'd say that it's THE definitive movie for those under 30 (at least circa '90's).

If you can stand long boring cuts, SEOPEONJAE is definitely in the top 5 among Korean movie critics, if not 1. It's about a post Korean War (or maybe post WWII?) story about a father who goes around the countryside with his blind daugher who sings traditional pansori while her bro beats on a (Korean) drum. Later, the relationship between the sis and bro becomes like S. & N. Korea(don't wanna give it away). Kinda moving, but not easy to watch. I had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the movie theater with my parents and forced to see it when I was 21 (joking!).